Bourbons:

Wild Turkey 101(as Derid mentioned) is good and strong and tastes fine.
Maker's Mark is my choice for sipping or for making old fashioneds.

Both are widely available.

Gin:

I like martinis and gimlets. My favorite gins are Bombay Sapphire and Beefeater.

Other:

Becherovka. I love this stuff though it's a little tougher to find. It's an herbal based liqueur from Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic and was originally made for medicinal purposes. It's great as a digestif or for the most excellent tonic imaginable (the Beton). There is a US distributor so you can get it in the State but not at any old store.

Sambucca if you like something in your coffee, or better yet, a splash in a shot of espresso. Or just straight. This stuff is made from Star Anise, so it taste like licorice.

Limoncello is a nice digestif as well. It's an Italian liqueur made from lemon rinds. The better brands are have a little tartness to them, not just sweet lemon flavor. I prefer serving staight from the freezer.

Akavit is an interesting liquor made which involved caraway seeds, dill and other spices to flavor the alcohol. I like the stuff, but it's pretty potent in flavor. I'd recommend everyone checking it out at least once, for the experience.

here's a link for you if you want to explore more liquors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alcoholic_beverages

Last edited by Valentein; 07/05/06 07:46 AM.

When your King calls you to action, will you hear the call?