The Book of Five Rings is a text on kenjutsu and the martial arts in general, written by the samurai warrior Miyamoto Musashi circa 1645. It is considered a classic treatise on military strategy, much like Sun Tzu's, The Art of War.

The Art of War is a Chinese military treatise that was written during the 6th century BC by Sun Tzu. Composed of 13 chapters, each of which is devoted to one aspect of warfare, it has long been praised as the definitive work on military strategies and tactics of its time.

The Prince is a treatise describing methods that an aspiring prince can use to acquire the throne, or an existing prince can use to maintain his reign. According to Machiavelli, the greatest moral good is a virtuous and stable state, and actions to protect the country are therefore justified even if they are cruel. Machiavelli strongly suggests, however, that the prince must not be hated. He states, "...a wise prince should establish himself on that which is his own control and not in that of others; he must endeavor to avoid hatred, as is noted." He also says "it is best to be both feared and loved; however, if one cannot be both it is better to be feared than loved."

These books are as relevant in our modern times as they were in the past. I think they are perhaps even more important to us now as many of the values exemplified in the texts are not those commonly embraced these days. I highlight these books here because they are extremely relevant to the MMORPG warrior.

TOTAL Victory on the virtual battlefield is easily facilitated through reading and fully comprehending each of these texts. For that alone, I highly recommend. Get a head start on it now, go to the library, go to Barney Nobles...get 'em off the links below...just get them! As in real life, the martial skills and strength of the warrior do not guarantee success. The warrior must ensure his greatest weapon, the mind, is ever sharp and ready!

The Art of War

The Book of Five Rings

The Prince