Finding issues is relatively easy, making improvements is very difficult. Lots of people from all hues of the political spectrum have identified various problems and pain points with our society. I haven't read Leveler, but I'm familiar with the idea that inequality as such is typically only changed via extreme means.

In real terms, I don't know of any solution either. Because as you mentioned some time ago in the corporate responsibility thread, talking details and getting into the weeds of things like finance (and, in my observation, just about anything) puts people to sleep, or they think youre a nutter, etc. Or, at least, democratic solutions do not exist - or don't exist within our current cultural and possibly even physical (neurological) makeup.

Which leaves us hoping for the same thing our ancestors of 10,000 years prior wished for - the enlightened dictator. Which, history has shown, doesn't typically happen more than once or twice a millennium. 99.999% of authoritarian govts are anything but enlightened, and even where they wish to do well by their subjects, simply fail due to inadequacy.

Though he did not present a convincing answer, or at least one that is workable in the short term, Hayek at least posited the correct question: How do we construct a society led by the will and assent of the people, yet simultaneously restrain the same? Constitutions obviously have been proven ineffective in the long run, as is even evidenced by our current social predicament. You will sooner find a Phoenix feather or the horn of a Unicorn than find someone who believes in upholding more than one or two clauses of the Bill of Rights, for example.

One thing I think Level missed, according to my reading of synopsis anyhow, is that of space. Both space in terms of unclaimed real-estate - and outer space, which is basically unclaimed real-estate. The American dream occurred because of unruled space. I wont say unclaimed, as there were natives present who had more of a claim than the colonialists, however I would strongly assert that the trajectory (including the economic levelling, amongst those colonialists of Euro descent) of America would have remained largely the same even had there not been a native populace to massacre.

So, lets hope good ole' Elon keeps his head in the space game and doesn't lose himself to Twitter until he builds us some legit spaceships and orbital habitats or something.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)