Some of us legally don't pay for Windows. I know I am in the minute minority. I built a "DivX" machine in the early 2000's before there were really "home entertainment" boxes. I used Linux when I built it and for what it was, essentially a DoS EMU and Media center to play movies it was rock solid and pretty bullet proof. As time proceeded and the ability to build small array controllers as brain boxes hooked up to the "data centers" of HD cells where my movies/media is stored the old hard shell of the "DivX" box went to the wayside. I still play old DoS games on it and NES/SNES, TurboDuo, FamilyCom, and Atari titles on it, its just the large format of a 47 inch HD LCD isn't always amenable to it looking right.

I think the SteamOS box has potential for the non-hardcore PC gaming sector of the value stream. I think a lot of hobbyist will use the SteamOS but build there own box and mod there own controller. The problem is going to be in PC games that don't port well or weren't developed to support anything other then Windows or iOS.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!