Originally Posted By: sinij
Originally Posted By: Wolfgang
Originally Posted By: RedKGB
I have no problem with a larger government when it comes to the environment, as long as the regulations are common sense. Yes there is a time when it will come down to one or the other and those must be taken on a 1 by 1 basis.

Bigger Government and common sense will never happen with so many people passing around an issue to make a final decision on. We've seen this process and takes months if not years before anything can be done, and that IS the biggest problem with having bigger Government. Our Government needs a HEAVY lesson in the K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid) system.

This yearning for "smaller government" that is so representative of conservatism these days is nothing but a bunch of absurd revisionism and yearning for simpler times. Government is bigger these days because life we lead, our society is so much more complex than ever before. The only way to go back to such small government is to collectively switch to Amish lifestyle and sign out of western civilization.

Reality of "small government" push is this is nothing but a bunch of astroturfing by corporations that quickly realized that this is a good way to reduce government oversight. You could have the best legislation and environmental regulation in the world, but it will be largely meaningless without fully-funded agency to audit, control and enforce such regulation.

When you tell me "small government", I hear "government too small to function".

We hit the point of diminishing returns re:size of govt a long time ago now.

Your faith that our society can be improved by giving already over-large and dysfunctional govt bodies even more of our money and rights never ceases to amaze me. Especially given that accountability does not seem to have any place in your calculus, combined with the proven link between power+lack of social standing as a cause of bad behavior.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)