The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Zhou Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/14/17 01:40 AM
This was an interesting find on features and promises and their current status.

https://starcitizentracker.github.io
Posted By: doggernaut Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/14/17 05:26 PM
Well that certainly doesn't do much to boost my confidence in the game. According to this, they haven't done shit 4.86 years. It will be interesting to see if they update this upon release of 3.0.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/15/17 03:25 AM
I would expect that to have a big jump in tasks completed with the launch of 3.0. It does show you the amount of feature creep they added and yes that it doesn't look like much has been done since the kickstarter. 3.0 continues to push :(
Posted By: Taxman Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/15/17 04:31 AM
A LOT has been done since Kickstarter - just not according to "someones" paper-charting and feature-checklist spreadsheet. They have zero idea what has been ACCOMPLISHED, they are just checking off what they cannot "see" currently.

I find it IRONIC that people love to call CIG out on things when most AAA games give people nothing until just before release; or snapshots at E3/etc for something coming out "next year". I can't name a single game that has come to market that started at the same time that they did from Kickstart; in fact MANY that I have been tracking are still much farther out than CIG's Star Citizen / Squadron 42 is looking. I can log into the Alpha of Star Citizen RIGHT NOW and actually fly ships around, do things in-game - not just watch a pre-rendered clip on YouTube.

As a software engineer and a developer myself - I understand things come in stages and take time; MANY hours, with iteration of design/code. So far I have seen from KickStart: Player Hangar(s) (several iterations), the space combat simulator/racing, multi-player environment (non-persistent), multi-player environment - semi-persistent, and now Star Marine (FPS). Is it a WHOLE MMO/UNIVERSE yet? - NO, but they never promised it would be a this point. People keep saying we'll see when 3.0 comes out - once again, we are talking "ALPHA" 3.0! So what will be in there should expand greatly upon what is currently available for test play, but it will NOT be a universe - or an MMO at that point either. What they do release in 3.0 will continue to be built upon with more features and systems/planets/moons, but Squadron 42 will release BEFORE Star Citizen, there will be several episodes (parts) of that prior to Star Citizen release.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/15/17 11:31 AM
That chart should have a percentage of how much he is butt hurt about a game in Alpha.
Posted By: hydr Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/15/17 12:21 PM
Interesting chart, but I think a lot of that stuff will start to get checked off after 3.0. There are also a handful of low priority items there too that can come way later down the road.
Posted By: Vuldan Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/20/17 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by hydr
Interesting chart, but I think a lot of that stuff will start to get checked off after 3.0. There are also a handful of low priority items there too that can come way later down the road.

Oh, how much further down the road do they come? I mean frankly, these bastards and the amount of money they have received could have fucking colonized Mars by now in real life, let alone actually release this game.
Posted By: Vuldan Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/20/17 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Taxman
A LOT has been done since Kickstarter - just not according to "someones" paper-charting and feature-checklist spreadsheet. They have zero idea what has been ACCOMPLISHED, they are just checking off what they cannot "see" currently.

I find it IRONIC that people love to call CIG out on things when most AAA games give people nothing until just before release; or snapshots at E3/etc for something coming out "next year". I can't name a single game that has come to market that started at the same time that they did from Kickstart; in fact MANY that I have been tracking are still much farther out than CIG's Star Citizen / Squadron 42 is looking. I can log into the Alpha of Star Citizen RIGHT NOW and actually fly ships around, do things in-game - not just watch a pre-rendered clip on YouTube.

As a software engineer and a developer myself - I understand things come in stages and take time; MANY hours, with iteration of design/code. So far I have seen from KickStart: Player Hangar(s) (several iterations), the space combat simulator/racing, multi-player environment (non-persistent), multi-player environment - semi-persistent, and now Star Marine (FPS). Is it a WHOLE MMO/UNIVERSE yet? - NO, but they never promised it would be a this point. People keep saying we'll see when 3.0 comes out - once again, we are talking "ALPHA" 3.0! So what will be in there should expand greatly upon what is currently available for test play, but it will NOT be a universe - or an MMO at that point either. What they do release in 3.0 will continue to be built upon with more features and systems/planets/moons, but Squadron 42 will release BEFORE Star Citizen, there will be several episodes (parts) of that prior to Star Citizen release.

This is exactly what is wrong with the game industry and the "go fund me" mentality that has taken over. You can spin it with your own experience all you wish Tax, at the end of the day, these guys have received a fuckton of money and have not produced a viable, full on release game from it. Oh sure, they have teaser stuff, and in some cases, it's slightly fun, but it pales compared to the full on world we have all been expecting for a very long time. As I said in another post, they could have colonized Mars in real life with the amount of money they have received (I know, not really, but is sounds sarcastically good). Frankly, I am pretty sure the three ships I purchased in the wayback are probably obsolete by now, since they have goner on to design and release many newer, faster, blah, blah, blah models, for a game that has never been finalized. So, I don't know that this guy is "butthurt", perhaps just more willing to hold them to the fire. I mean, seriously, how many more years?
Posted By: Taxman Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/21/17 01:03 AM
For case(s) in point:

Grand Theft Auto V took more than 5 years to develop (and they didn't start from ground zero).

Fallout 4 = 7 Years (they started it after finishing Fallout 3, also starting with something).

---------------

Not saying that I am an expert or anything, just trying to keep things "real"...

If you WANT a quality product; it takes more than throwing money at it to make it possible. Honestly, I feel like they are on track and they should take the time they need to do it RIGHT. Not FOREVER - just expect to see reasonable progress to final build, so far I have not been let down.
Posted By: Vuldan Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/22/17 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Taxman
For case(s) in point:

Grand Theft Auto V took more than 5 years to develop (and they didn't start from ground zero).

Fallout 4 = 7 Years (they started it after finishing Fallout 3, also starting with something).

---------------

Not saying that I am an expert or anything, just trying to keep things "real"...

If you WANT a quality product; it takes more than throwing money at it to make it possible. Honestly, I feel like they are on track and they should take the time they need to do it RIGHT. Not FOREVER - just expect to see reasonable progress to final build, so far I have not been let down.

Interesting perspective, fair enough.
Posted By: hydr Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/22/17 02:20 PM
I do hope it all comes sooner than later, as I think everyone hopes for too :)

Gamescon is this week, will see what news they have on Friday!

If anyone is ever around in TS I am usually idle in the SC channel when I'm free if anyone wants to chat. But I'm sure more people will be active when 3.0 drops.
Posted By: doggernaut Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/25/17 03:31 AM
....but daddy, I want it now!!!!
Posted By: hydr Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/26/17 04:20 PM
Who all watched the livestream? I liked what I saw, sure they had some hiccups but it's nice to see it all coming together. I liked seeing the new mobiglass in action and didn't expect the facial tracking software which was pretty cool.
Posted By: doggernaut Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/26/17 10:06 PM
I did not see the livestream but I checked out the facial tracking. It will be interesting to see how that works out. It certainly has the potential to impact the immersion aspects of the game.
Posted By: hydr Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 08/27/17 12:42 AM
I agree and I'm sure a lot of content creators will use it to make more videos too. I can see this as an option in games in the future and pretty cool. I will definitely check it out since they said any webcam will do. I want to see how accurate their head tracking is with that software. I was thinking about getting Track IR but if their facial tracking software can get nearly as good I might skip out on Track IR.

Actually, just watched the facial tracking again from Gamescon and a Track IR video in SC. Track IR looks to get a lot more range to where you can almost turn your view all the way around (180) whereas the facial tracking seems ok to turn left right (about 75). It seems like once the facial tracking loses the points on your eyes nose face turning left right then it stops. Maybe this can be adjusted to be more sensitive.

Will keep up to date on it to see how it plays out.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/16/17 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by Helemoto
That chart should have a percentage of how much he is butt hurt about a game in Alpha.

I a scale of 1 to Derek Smart, I am going to go with a 7.832
Posted By: Brutal Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/16/17 09:24 PM
Who all watched the livestream? I liked what I saw, sure they had some hiccups but it's nice to see it all coming together. I liked seeing the new mobiglass in action and didn't expect the facial tracking software which was pretty cool.

Other than for gesturing, can someone explain to me the purpose of head tracking? Unless you are wearing VR gear, or otherwise have a screen attached to your head that moves with you, what good does it do if the perspective moves with your head?
Posted By: Selenian Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/17/17 02:41 PM
Head tracking can be useful when your dogfighting. You can turn your head and track that extra bit in the canopy to your 3 and 6 o'clock, the other use it to slave gimbaled weapons to head tracking so they follow your eyes essentially
Posted By: Brommas Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/17/17 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Brutal

Other than for gesturing, can someone explain to me the purpose of head tracking? Unless you are wearing VR gear, or otherwise have a screen attached to your head that moves with you, what good does it do if the perspective moves with your head?

I purchased TrackIR when Elite Dangerous released. I think you would be surprised how well it works with just a regular monitor setup
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/23/17 06:03 PM
Track IR and Voice command are going to be very important if you want to sword fight in space.
Posted By: Brutal Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/25/17 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Selenian
Head tracking can be useful when your dogfighting. You can turn your head and track that extra bit in the canopy to your 3 and 6 o'clock, the other use it to slave gimbaled weapons to head tracking so they follow your eyes essentially

But.. but.. if you turn your head and the view rotates correspondingly, you have to keep your eyes focused center screen to get the benefit. Please let me know if I'm thinking about this wrong. For example you turn your head to the left, but have to now cut your eyes back to the right so they are focused center screen, where the view has now rotated to the left. This seems completely unnecessary. Now, if you have a screen attached to your head (like a VR headset or w/e) then this makes perfect sense.

edit: the slaved weapons that track eye movement I can see being useful.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/26/17 11:03 AM
Well unlike prison sex, you are not forced to use it.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/28/17 03:57 AM
Voice Attack + HCS Voice Pack

Track IR v5

Google-fu, must u.
Posted By: Brutal Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/28/17 06:14 PM
Yeah this video from their website demonstrates EXACTLY what I was asking about:

https://youtu.be/_AO0F5sLdVM?t=61

The guy turns his head left, which rotates the view, and he has to CUT HIS EYES TO THE RIGHT TO SEE THE SCREEN. I'm not trying to speak for you, but this would very quickly annoy the piss out of me. This tech is great, but I won't use it unless it's in conjunction with a VR headset.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/30/17 10:46 PM
I'll leave piloting to you tom cruise wannabes....

I'll stay on the ground and prosecute the war in the trenches ala Nam style hail O bullets.

Posted By: Selenian Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 09/30/17 10:51 PM
....soturn the sensitivity up on the tracker so you only have to turn your head a little bit, unlike this owl headed tard.
Posted By: Brutal Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 10/03/17 11:56 AM
So now your view is doing 360s every time you twitch your head? [stars] :puke:
Posted By: Hare Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 10/22/17 09:37 AM
I am not a good judge of this game, it's seemed like a money pit from the beginning for me.

I did want to mention that regarding Fallout 4 - not a good comparison - Bethesda did Skyrim after Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 was back burnered. So you would have to say they did Skyrim AND Fallout 4 in that time frame. If you use that as the yardstick SC is behind.

I think this game has been fun to a lot of people who have invested in it and felt its pulse along the way. Like someone said you never get to go along for the development ride and be involved as SC has involved it's fan base. For those that fall off the coat tails or, like me, never got in the groove with SC it seems like a lot of hype for a game in development that may never get finished. I told someone this was the game, SC is a development game and the fans are enjoying the ride for the most part.

SC is a journey not a destination, yet.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 10/23/17 10:23 PM
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE, finally someone said it, Hare you are a great judge of games...I have been waiting in the shadows and every year I've watched this game I have felt as though this game is money grabbing and the level of completion never seems to be met, I'm not waitin g for crap anymore, we need to find a game that unites us and a game we CAN play....I look to Warmaster Donk.

Call it Donk!
Posted By: Drakiis Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 10/25/17 11:41 PM
Look SC MIGHT play out, MIGHT. However I am tired of holding my breath. Where is the play? Where is the massive works? If I wanted what they have thus far I'd play EvE, (which is more complete than SC), however we are waiting for promises that may never be realistic. I opt to find a real game, development or otherwise that can deliver. SC has potential, people have heavily invested in the project, yes. However this is insanity to expect something with absolutely no guarantee. Where is the pay off? How long are you willing to wait? Sure no game is created in a vacuum, however that is an excuse. I would think at this point something should be available, not a patched up module. Cling to the hope if you must but it's becomming apparent this is hurting, and only seeking funding.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 10/27/17 04:12 AM
Expect 2020 the earliest Star Citizen non-dev PU.

SQ 42 in 2019 isn't happening unless CR magically had sock gnomes flown in from Guatemala and put them in some quasi code thunder dome slave pit to get to the money shot...
Posted By: Drakiis Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 10/28/17 08:19 PM
I agree
Posted By: Taxman Re: Star Citizen Status Tracker - 11/03/17 03:38 AM
To be honest - the openness of RSI with regards to Star Citizen and Squadron 42 development are both amazing and a curse. I think it is amazing to see what they are doing, choices they are making, development as it goes. However most gamer's are NOT used to seeing that amount of transparency, sometimes not even hearing/seeing anything until just before a Fall/Christmas release of a product (even if they have been working on it for 8 years prior).

I suspect that we will see Squadron 42 (ep1) release next year.. with more coming on after that. The Mini-PU that we are getting with Alpha 3.0 will just be extended and expanded until release. Certainly there will be some progress wipes/etc which happen in all MMO Alpha/Beta's but that is to be expected. When more folks that are currently working on Squadron 42 models/etc are freed up - there will be more development to bear on Star Citizen specific assets, so things should move more quickly. SQ42 and SC both are the same engine, so everything that applies to one also applies to the other (with the exception of net-code on the SQ42).

If things go well; I think we may see Star Citizen looking very "solid" and moving out of Alpha/Beta in 2019. But I am not going to wait that long to fly around in-game and have fun with what is available in the meantime!
© The KGB Oracle