The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Leverett Still a little confused... - 02/28/09 08:25 PM
Is this game actually "live" or still in beta?

I can create and account and enter billing info... but that's it. I get a "Temporarily Sold Out" message.

Posted By: Revol Re: Still a little confused... - 02/28/09 09:24 PM
Everyone playing the game has paid for it. It's live. It's just... a messy, beta-esque launch. As usual. :P
Posted By: Leverett Re: Still a little confused... - 02/28/09 09:37 PM
Thanks Revol.

Hope they get stuff squared away and others that didn't get in don't miss out on the fun. Seems they're missing a prime opportunity to secure a player base with a lack of games right now (though that will change in a couple of weeks really quickly).

Is there any information about there being a wipe once the game has been established? Seems like an awful amount of time to have an "established" player base get better while others wait idly.

Sorry about being pessimistic. More out of frustration and a lack of information on their end than anything else.
Posted By: Revol Re: Still a little confused... - 02/28/09 10:25 PM
This is the EU release. There will be a NA release, where our characters will be allowed to be transfered there.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Still a little confused... - 03/01/09 03:11 AM
I am looking at this as a practice run for NA release to be honest.
Posted By: Revol Re: Still a little confused... - 03/01/09 03:18 AM
Yup, that's exactly how I look at this. So everything fucked up that has been happening, it hasn't bothered me.

Plus, I've gotten really into Oblivion lately again, so even the server outages haven't bothered me.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Still a little confused... - 03/01/09 04:18 AM
Originally Posted By: JetStar
I am looking at this as a practice run for NA release to be honest.

That's exactly the answer I was looking for to the question I asked in THIS Thread.
Posted By: rhaikh Re: Still a little confused... - 03/01/09 07:55 AM
I'll bet you a beer that they don't release NA server in 2009.
Posted By: Leverett Re: Still a little confused... - 03/01/09 01:32 PM
Agreed. I've been trying to understand their reasoning for later offering a separate US box or US retail service and I can't come up with much, particularly since they've already allowed NA players to buy EU boxes and play on EU servers.

Normally the only reason you offer separate, parallel services is to maximize price points in different territories. That requires some sort of registration code/IP address/credit card geolocation. I can't see them implementing that AFTER allowing everyone to buy and play globally.

Which is nothing to say that opening a US server would also seemingly be devastating the EU server population...
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: Still a little confused... - 03/01/09 04:31 PM
They've just said they don't have a north-american publisher. I guess they're not just selling digital copies, they're also selling boxed copies in brick and mortar stores over in Europe. When they release in NA they want to be able to do the same, and I guess their publisher can't do that right now or something.
Posted By: Leverett Re: Still a little confused... - 03/01/09 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't have a European publisher either; they're doing it all in-house and subcontracting.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Still a little confused... - 03/01/09 11:18 PM
Probably going to use the unit sales and monthly subscription fees for the first three months to pay back investors, maintain personnel, and probably invest in publishing/distribution to a NA server/outlet.

If they were smart. They would just get server space in the US, do similar digital launch with no hard copies. Use the infrastructure they already have, maximize what they've already spent funds on, and just make it more robust, and fix the initial forwarding and billing issues. Which would make me ask the question at time of NA launch, which conversion is better for them. Payment in Euro values or USD, depending on the 3 month forecast for conversions from NA launch. I am betting they stay Euro value converted to your currency. Makes the VAT easier to compute, and in some weird market inversion could give them an advantage on monthly billing being done in Euros. Especially if the NA and Asia contingents end up with high numbers once the game matures.

Of course, Tasos aka:"Salad Tosser" and his crew have only had one bumble after another, with epic fail levels of community communication. So, probably not going to be a NA server for at least a good three months. Upside though, it will be a much more stable client, and the EU time will just be pay to play beta 2.0 for most/some of us. Except we will probably get to keep our Skills, Stats, Bank, and anything on us personally. Cities should go bye-bye and will be another land rush, which may really benefit us in the long run. Which is what really matters to me. I can see this game carrying a good 3-5 year play arc, if they don't manage to completely fuck it up along the way.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Still a little confused... - 03/02/09 12:21 AM
Quote:
I can see this game carrying a good 3-5 year play arc, if they don't manage to completely fuck it up along the way.

If they do fuck it up - I already have my exit strategy - Mortal Online.
Posted By: Seaelf Re: Still a little confused... - 03/02/09 11:55 AM
when does Mortal Online come out? is it full loot?
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Still a little confused... - 03/02/09 12:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Online

Yup, full loot, FFA Sandbox. So far they still plan to release Summer of 2009....yah I know...crazy.
Posted By: Vyse Re: Still a little confused... - 03/02/09 03:13 PM
And they have player housing which DF promised and did not come through on.

That is the only thing that has pissed me off about DF but the game is so freaking killer right now that I can get passed that.

Is Mortal supposed to be big? This is the first I have heard of it.
© The KGB Oracle