The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Derid Yeap - 07/14/17 06:34 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2017/07/14/science-power-causes-brain-damage

Power causes brain damage.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Yeap - 07/17/17 01:32 PM
[yes]
Posted By: Owain Re: Yeap - 07/17/17 02:56 PM
What would we do without self serving studies from UC Berkley?
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Yeap - 07/17/17 03:43 PM
I prefer to believe that it applies to all sides equally.
Posted By: Owain Re: Yeap - 07/17/17 06:43 PM
Historically, UC Berkley has rarely applied anything to all sides equally.
Posted By: Derid Re: Yeap - 07/18/17 05:46 AM
Considering their studies implicate their own favored overlords as well as the "other side's" , I find claims of bias rather odd.

Not to mention I've seen similar studies done that pointed at the same thing, though they were conducted in different contexts, mostly aimed at lower-tier figures of authority. The crux of the matter is that having power over ones fellow man does few people's personalities any good. There are certain things that can mitigate this, and certain people who deal with it better than others, but I'll leave that for another post sometime.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Yeap - 07/19/17 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Derid
There are...certain people who deal with it better than others...

Unfortunately most of those are busy living their lives and helping their neighbors and don't have time for public office.
Posted By: Owain Re: Yeap - 07/19/17 05:16 PM
If your representatives in public office fail to represent you properly, vote for different representatives. If you get outvoted, suck it up.
Posted By: Derid Re: Yeap - 07/19/17 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Owain
If your representatives in public office fail to represent you properly, vote for different representatives. If you get outvoted, suck it up.

And saying this in no way mitigates the fact that our politics are dismal and getting worse, or changes the fact that most people can't responsibly handle the power their given once they actually reach office.
Posted By: Owain Re: Yeap - 07/19/17 07:51 PM
I don't think our politics are all that bad. I think you are buying into the narrative being propagated by the media. Not all legislation has to be passed. It is a false dilemma being presented that if a particular piece of legislation does not pass, that it is a bad thing. Most legislation shouldn't be passed, and what does pass should represent a compromise among all stake holders.

Democrats are particularly bad when it comes to compromise. Given recent legislation, threats to shut down government are made over everything. Legislation is blocked, preventing even a vote from being taken.

That's politics today, but I also view that as a reason why Democrats are currently experiencing an electoral collapse across the nation. That collapse can only deepen and extend, given the current behavior by Democrats.
Posted By: Goriom Re: Yeap - 07/19/17 07:58 PM
"Democrats are particularly bad when it comes to compromise."

I do declare, that is the pot calling the kettle, if I've ever seen one.

Posted By: Owain Re: Yeap - 07/19/17 08:08 PM
There is some of that on both sides, but Trump is on record saying that at this point, he wants Obamacare repealed so that both Democrats and Republicans can try again on a clean slate. It remains to be seen if Democrats will avail themselves of the opportunity. I think they have burned that bridge behind them, and the current generation of Democrats will have to fall away first. That process is ongoing.

If they do come together, I think there should b e no more attempts at comprehensive legislation. All that does is allow crap to be packed in with the good. Pass what can be agreed to easily by both sides. Save the rest for future negotiation and compromise.
© The KGB Oracle