The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Wolfgang Chinese cyber attackes. - 02/19/13 10:52 PM
So what's everyone's though on the Chinese cuber attacks?
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/...acks-against-us

If the Chinese are taking sensitive material, then it's time we fire fire with fire. Someone light a fire under Bill Gates ass!
Posted By: Sini Re: Chinese cyber attackes. - 02/20/13 02:20 AM
Jesus and guns will save us.

No really, this what happens when you don't invest into IT infrastructure.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Chinese cyber attackes. - 02/20/13 03:24 AM
Don't invest in IT infrastructure?!?!?! We spend hundreds of millions of dollars on IT every year. We have some of the most sophisticated software on the planet for digging through people's communications and transactions. You're telling me that we can do it to other people but we're too stupid to know how to counter our own technology? Bullshit.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Chinese cyber attackes. - 02/20/13 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
Don't invest in IT infrastructure?!?!?! We spend hundreds of millions of dollars on IT every year. We have some of the most sophisticated software on the planet for digging through people's communications and transactions. You're telling me that we can do it to other people but we're too stupid to know how to counter our own technology? Bullshit.

This is my business. I can say this is sloppy IT. Truly secure networks are unbreakable. A single decimal point move from a world banking perspective could bankrupt countries, and you never hear about that happening. Untrustworthy people and sloppy IT are the cause, plain ans simple.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Chinese cyber attackes. - 02/20/13 08:53 PM
I know you will disagree, but no IT system is unbreakable...
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Chinese cyber attackes. - 02/20/13 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Kaotic

This is my business. I can say this is sloppy IT. Truly secure networks are unbreakable. A single decimal point move from a world banking perspective could bankrupt countries, and you never hear about that happening. Untrustworthy people and sloppy IT are the cause, plain ans simple.

I may not know much about IT, but I do know you can NEVER say NEVER.
Posted By: Daye Re: Chinese cyber attackes. - 02/20/13 09:42 PM
No IT system is unbreakable. Period.

1) It would be difficult to pinpoint the origination address since proxies ( even multiple ones )
are stupidly simple to setup and operate. Thus the whole " Those Chinese sons o beeches R hackin us ! "
may or may not be true. ( But it probably is. See # 4 as to why )

2) One insider can bypass your security in a hurry. Attach a modem to their machine, connect a wi-fi
router to the network, fire up a VPN or SSH tunnel to a remote site, plug in a USB stick they " found "
in their mailbox, hell the list is nearly endless.

3) There is a delicate balance you have to strike between real network security and a network that is
useless for most things.

4) If you think, for one moment, that we're not doing the same thing to other countries, you're naive :D
© The KGB Oracle