The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar KGB's reputation and legacy - 07/29/16 06:06 PM

--- KGB's reputation and legacy

Editorial

KGB will celebrate it's 20th birthday in June of 2017. We have endured the test of time and remain one of the original and longest surviving gaming organizations. In that time, we have won and lost, been successful and failed miserably. We have had hundreds of active members, and sometimes just a handful. Throughout it all we remain a tight group of friends, a family.

KGB's presence in gaming world's always has a beginning and always an end. There are ups and downs in the middle. It is the MMORPG roller coaster. KGB, it leadership, and membership cannot be judged by these ups and downs. We can only ask, "Did I do the best I could?", "Did I give 100%"? If you can say yes, then you are representing our almost 20 year existence.

Personally, I have lead big factions to greatness, and been severely and humiliatingly defeated. In some cases, another KGB leader stepped up and lead the faction back to greatness. It is the cycle of life of our presence in these worlds.

KGB Archage, has been one of the most successful and longest lasting worlds that we have inhabited. KGB AA is experiencing the hills and valleys of the roller coaster I speak of. It may be winding down, or again rising to greatness. That is for you to decide.

KGB BDO has struggled to find the critical mass needed to compete on a global scale, and has see some steep hills and valleys in its own journey.

We always must be careful not to judge any faction on where it is on the crazy ride that is an online gaming worlds. It is however our duty as KGBers to support these factions. When fellow KGBers criticize the game that you happen to be passionate about, it can only divide our family and damage what can be a fragile morale. The critics seem to come out when a faction is most vulnerable. All of us, and help others be successful by just being positive, and encouraging our brothers and sisters when the chips are down. I hope you will all heed my advice.

Regarding our reputation. We are competitors in all we do. We don't always win, and we don't always lose, but we always give it 100%. Very few organizations have achieved the longevity that we have. We have learned the respect of the ages. The big names in gaming all know who we are, and even though they may not fear us, they do respect us.

Each of us carry the names of our fallen brothers and sisters, and we honor their names in all we do. People like Slash, Toxiclore, and most recently Fleeting. This is a place where they found a family and the joy of victory and defeat.

Don't be influenced by the game or challenge of the day, but think of KGB as a whole, and odds are that most of our current foes will not be around tomorrow to challenge us. We have stood and will stand the test of time. Our reputation will always endure.

Here is to the last 20 glorious years, and I look forward to the next 20.

In your service,
JetStar, KGB High King.
Posted By: SirWilliamPD Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 07/29/16 07:05 PM
/salute from PD
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 07/29/16 07:47 PM
beer PD
Posted By: Taxman Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 07/29/16 09:45 PM
Awesome!

Three cheers for another 20!
beer
Posted By: Goriom Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 07/29/16 10:04 PM
Hear, hear!
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 07/29/16 11:40 PM
Cheers!
Posted By: Valaria Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 07/31/16 02:39 AM
WOOOHOOO Cheers to KGB!
Posted By: doggernaut Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 07/31/16 08:17 AM
Well said! Cheers to the friends I have made and the friends that I will meet down the road. Reading this, I know i am in the right place and have chosen wisely for a home. I am grateful to be part of the KGB family and a small part of this legacy.
Posted By: Evy Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 07/31/16 10:59 AM
Congrats and Happy 20th birthday KGB. Its awesome to be part of a legacy !!!!
Posted By: Zsane Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 08/02/16 08:14 PM
Well said, Jet. Congrats KGB!

While I haven't been able to maintain playtime in most of the games we have been focused on, I believe that the friendships made here transcend any individual game. Here's to another 20 years!
Posted By: Chloraform Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 08/03/16 04:46 PM
beer beer beer
Posted By: Vuldan Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 08/07/16 03:15 PM
It has been a hell of a ride...lots of changes over the years, many new faces, and some MIA..we have lost a few to the great next adventure, seen some good come and go, some bad come and go..and always, we hold the line. It has been an honor since 1997 to be around.

Posted By: Binbs Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 08/12/16 03:15 PM
I'll never forget the good old Ultima Online days on Pacific and Siege Perilous, especially when I joined KGB I felt like I was becoming part of something bigger than me. I was originally a player on the 'evil' side. However something attracted me to the Knights of Glory and Beer (maybe it was my love of beer) and it forever changed my experience of gaming in a MMO environment.

I started out at the rank of mercenary, because of my bad reputation of being a PK (Player Killer - someone who targets innocents for profit/sport), moved up through the ranks slowly and after proving my worth finally ended up being given the chance to lead the Shadowbane Faction of KGB. We ended up becoming the most dominant guild on our server, which was a great accomplishment in those days of guild eliteism, where less skilled players were looked down upon. We managed to establish ourselves as a server superpower despite our commitment to not give in to skill-level eliteism. It created a fun and diverse environment of gameplay that included players of all ages.

I want to tell you guys this story because I want every KGB recruit to know that he or she can accomplish anything they want, in this virtual environment as well as in their lives. All you have to do is go for it. Observe, understand and improve. Believe in yourself and you can accomplish whatever you want.
Posted By: Sini Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 08/16/16 12:07 AM
beer
Posted By: JetStar Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 08/16/16 03:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Binbs

Who cares what he said. BINBS IN THE HOUSE!
Posted By: Taxman Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 08/28/16 07:20 AM
Any thoughts about a 20 year "gathering"? [think]

beer
Posted By: Owain Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 08/28/16 07:55 PM
HariKarrie, my lovely wife, was archiving photos stored on her old laptop and found some picture from our last (and only, to my knowledge) KGB Meet Up in Las Vegas about 8 years ago.

I'll be posting them once she finishes archiving, and gives me copies.
Posted By: Heidi Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 10/07/16 03:52 PM
wow you guys are really old
Posted By: Drakiis Re: KGB's reputation and legacy - 10/26/16 06:20 PM
Sorry I missed this, a very thoughtful and well written post. I'd just like to make it known that one day we will rise as one and crush all those who doubt us again, and in the end we will be all that remains. Very well said Jet, cheers to another 20.
© The KGB Oracle