The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/09/11 04:59 PM
KGB members,
As you know, the KGB Oracle has been experiencing hardware problems and is unstable as we speak. It looks like I am going to have to replace the co-located system ASAP to resolve the issues. Currently I am not in the financial position to purchase a replacement, and I am hoping you can help. As you all know, I spend about $170.00 per month to keep a co-located system at a local ISP. This system provides a variety of services, and offers unlimited bandwidth for the price. These requirements make using a store purchased hosting service impractical. Having our own system gives us the freedom to adapt to what ever situation that comes along in the future. We can host gaming servers, voice servers, FTP services, Email, etc.

If you are in a position to help with financial assistance, then now is the time to avoid service interruption and possible serious problems with the KGB Oracle, Hall of Fame, etc.

You can use the DONATE TO KGB link if you can help.

The idea is to get a new rack mountable system with fault tolerance in both power and disk.

You assistance is appreciated! THANK YOU!

PROGRESS TO OUR NEW SERVER

THE INITIAL $1200.00 has been achieved! NOW WE ARE GOING FOR ADDITIONAL RAM FOR PERFORMANCE! If you can help out, please do! I will be holding the donations open until MONDAY then ordering the machine. Lets get the best machine we can! NICE WORK KGB!!

PowerEdge R210 Rack Mount Server
Intel® Xeon® X3430, 2.4 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo
8GB Memory (2x4GB), 1333MHz, Dual Ranked UDIMM
PERC S100 (Embedded SATA Software RAID) supporting 2 Hard Drives - RAID 0
500GB 7.2k RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive
Starting Price $1,511.00
Instant Savings $449.00
Posted By: JetStar Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/09/11 05:48 PM
Today, I have the VM stripped down to text only, as I think there may be a problem with the built in graphics.

Hoping we can hold out for a week.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/09/11 10:34 PM
Wish i could help, this is sad news to me since this is something i look forward to reading and provides a stabilizing factor in my daily life
Posted By: Sini Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/09/11 11:05 PM
Done and done.
Posted By: Grizo Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/09/11 11:11 PM
done smile
Posted By: JetStar Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/10/11 12:17 AM
Thanks you guys, we are off to a good start. I am going to send out a broadcast message regarding this to all KGB members.
Posted By: JetStar Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/10/11 12:25 AM
Hi all, my current config is for a rack mount Dell Poweredge with a built in raid. Its on sale this week for:

PowerEdge R210 Chassis w/up to 2 Cabled HDs and Quad-Pack
Intel® Xeon® X3430, 2.4 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo
8GB Memory (2x4GB), 1333MHz, Dual Ranked UDIMM
PERC S100 (Embedded SATA Software RAID) supporting 2 Hard Drives - RAID 0
500GB 7.2k RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Cabled Hard Drive
Starting Price $1,511.00
Instant Savings $449.00

Subtotal $1,062.00
Posted By: Tasorin Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/10/11 01:18 AM
Do you at least get a happy ending for a grand?
Posted By: Drakiis Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/10/11 01:48 AM
I think thats wolfgangs dept
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/10/11 01:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Drakiis
I think thats wolfgangs dept

"Me no love you long time."

I bet that's the first time you've heard that coming from a guy drakis! hehe
Posted By: JetStar Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/10/11 06:06 AM
I think the new plan is to collect for 1 week and buy the most ram with the server as possible.

THANKS TO ALL THAT ARE DONATING!
Posted By: JetStar Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/10/11 10:42 PM
WOW PEOPLE !!!
Posted By: Drakiis Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 03:53 AM
And this surprises you, jet a lot of people do care about you and kgb even if we don't always show it. I am proud of the people here and humbled for my own lack of resources
Posted By: JetStar Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 05:36 AM
Well we are well on our way, and are getting close!

Thanks to everyone!
Posted By: Valaria Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 11:36 AM
As soon as Payday comes... thur/fri I will add some funds as well... Was a tight week last week, this week will be easier.

Glad to see the total is climbing steadily. Much Love for all in KGB. We band together to help each other out.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: JetStar

Thanks to everyone!

Hosted Game serer.

If your going to spend all this money and effort for a co-located service we might as well maximize its resources.

I propose a Mount-n-Blade: Fire and the Sword hosted server so that for 15 bucks a person for the game on steam we can play shoot them up bang bang in a 1600's medieval setting.
Posted By: Sini Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 05:06 PM
I want naked pics of the new server after we purchase it.
Posted By: Lukky Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 05:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Valaria
As soon as Payday comes... thur/fri I will add some funds as well... Was a tight week last week, this week will be easier.

Glad to see the total is climbing steadily. Much Love for all in KGB. We band together to help each other out.

This does sound awesome. Sorry I've been away guys, wedding planning and work craziness. I saw the email from Jet though and logged in to do my part.
Posted By: Mithus Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Tasorin
Originally Posted By: JetStar

Thanks to everyone!

Hosted Game serer.

If your going to spend all this money and effort for a co-located service we might as well maximize its resources.

I propose a Mount-n-Blade: Fire and the Sword hosted server so that for 15 bucks a person for the game on steam we can play shoot them up bang bang in a 1600's medieval setting.

seems good
Posted By: Kaotic Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: sinij
I want naked pics of the new server after we purchase it.

THIS!!
Posted By: Sini Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 06:58 PM
Maybe we will have enough money to step up to x3470 or 16G or RAM or better network adapter?

I am not sure what would be best bang for the buck for that type of application, but for anything else 1. RAM 2. CPU 3. else

I am also not sure what the difference between R210 and R210 II other than giving access to newer Xeon® E3 CPUs

Posted By: JetStar Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 07:38 PM
Well I am going to leave this open for the entire week, add my $$ to it, and get the best box I can.

I am totally into running multi game servers. I can create another virtual machine just for game servers.
Posted By: Sini Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/11/11 08:17 PM
We should just run classic UO server and all play it... maybe send invites to OPP, EB and couple others.
Posted By: Lorddarka Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/12/11 09:35 PM
Done
Posted By: Ken_Kamillion Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/12/11 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: sinij
We should just run classic UO server and all play it... maybe send invites to OPP, EB and couple others.

ya so we can duel each other divide the guild into 2 halfs and fight each other but the MandB fire and sword server would be cool.
Posted By: Salohcin Dragon Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/15/11 02:22 PM
What OS will you have on the web server?

How about a server with this?

Unreal Tournament 3 with Ballistic Weapons installed. http://www.runestorm.com/ballistic
Posted By: Sini Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/16/11 03:34 PM
Ok, where is our hardcore server pr0n pics?
Posted By: JetStar Re: THIS TIME, KGB NEEDS YOU - 05/17/11 06:37 PM
Ok guys I am back now, its time to order the server.
© The KGB Oracle