KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 16 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,015,757 Trump card
1,338,644 Picture Thread
477,649 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#44824 05/10/09 12:58 AM
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
With the help of our COTC allies and friends, KGB was able to secure the city of Andruk. With the siege and transfer completed, the time has come to say goodbye to our city of Khosgar, were we have lived and worked since release. The video below is a record of what Khosgar looked like 2 hours before the siege. I hope you enjoy it. Congratulations KGB and COTC for another epic victory. KGB took part in a awesome cavalry charge in the Hamlet defense that won the praises of our alliance.

Click on video to view in high resolution

Here is a recently posted account of the events by long time KGB Veteran Owain:

Well, as the resident DarkFall promoter, I’ll give you the rundown of the KGB activities for one day, yesterday, Saturday, 5/9/09. For the full story, go to oracle.the-kgb.com.

Following days of planning and negotiations with allies, both large and small. 8 am Pacific time signals the beginning of the KGB mustering of forces in preparation for the siege the city of Andruk, which lies in the northeast corner of the main continent. Initially, we organize our forces into two main groups and set off across country to another city, where we will rendezvous with out allies.

The land mass is vast, and it takes nearly 30 minutes on mounts to traverse the distance from our city, Khosgar, to the objective of the siege, the city of Andruk. The final approach to the city is brutal, but the attackers make it across the ground that is being hammered by enemy siege guns, and begin the assault on the walls. On one side of the city, the gates are under attack by our allies, while on the other side of the city, KGB scales the walls and pour into the city. There is a steady rain of fire from all sides from both archers, mages, and a defensive lightning tower, but the attackers succeed in taking the central keep, and now the defenders must split their forces to try to repel the attack on the gate and expel our forces from within the city.

Andruk defenders attempt a frontal assault on the keep, but every attempt is repelled with great losses. The fighting intensifies inside the keep, but when the main gates finally fall, we are reinforced by our allies and together, we sweep the defenders from the city. The fighting is not yet over, however, because the automated lighting tower is still blasting our troops in the city, and defenders and their allies are resurrecting, and returning to the fight.

Part of the attackers now equip siege hammers to try to take down the lightning tower. The rest of us defend them from the re-attack being mounted by the defenders, and the fighting remains heavy for a long time, but by this time, the defenders have depleted their supplies and are returning to the fight unarmored in a desperate attempt to stop the destruction of their lighting tower. When it falls, all our arms now turn to the defenders, and fighting within the city ceases abruptly. Now we must hold the city for two hours against all counter attacks.

About 30 minutes later, we get word that an allied city is under strong attack, and their main gates are being battered by cannon fire. Under Darkfall siege rules, this city had been wagered against Andruk. While we were fighting our way into Andruk, enemy forces were besieging our ally, but had been unable to breach their defenses. If they are able to take and hold that city and successfully expel us from their city, the wager will be lost, and the alliance will lose a city. Reinforcements are desperately needed.

Our ally is too far distant from Andruk to be able to be reinforced over land, but their city is close to the KGB city of Khosgar, so the command is given, all KGB forces are to perform a bindstone recall to teleport back to Khosgar. After the recall, we mount up and ride for the beleaguered city. Their situation is getting desperate.

As we approach the city, we can hear the enemy cannons pounding the main gate. We approach unobserved from the southwest, under cover of a large stone outcropping that forms one flank of the city’s defenses. Rounding the hill, we see the massed formations of the enemy surrounding and defending their siege cannons. The KGB executes a cavalry charge directly through their position while the defenders from the city emerge to join the battle. It is a slaughter.

Part of the KGB forces remain while 30 or so of us start the long ride back up to Andruk. We no sooner start off when our lead riders spot a mounted force of 60 or more headed right for us. The counter attack has begun.

We wheel about and head back to the city with the attackers at our heals. We sweep into the city, dismount, and immediately join the defenders to repel the renewed attack. The attackers are getting desperate. If they do not take this city soon and then expel the besiegers of Andruk, Andruk will fall to our alliance.

The fight continues for over an hour, but the attackers are not able to make any headway, so they fall back. Their only hope now is to break the siege at Andruk so that the war will end in a tie. The KGB mounts up again and races back to Andruk, for everything will be decided there.

After a long ride, the KGB rides into the city to find the fight still in progress, but our allies have successfully held the city, and with new reinforcements, the end is inevitable. At the expiration of the two hour waiting period, the main city bindstone is now subject to attack and once it falls, the city is ours.

So, what can we conclude from this? Well, you can accept the Eurogamer review, written by a guy who had played the game for a few minutes, and from that, concluded that DarkFall is not a very good game. Or, you can read a report from a player who has only been playing the game for a few weeks, who is still very much a beginner in terms of skills developed so far, and yet who has now participated in some of the most amazing, enthralling online role playing combat that dwarfs anything I have taken part in over the last 10 years playing in multiple other games.

Darkfall still is not for everyone. It is still very difficult to get into the game for US players. It helps to consider that your first game related quest. Over time, that will improve, and once a North American server opens up, things will rapidly get better. They are a small company, and I sympathize with them regarding the distribution problems they currently have.

But with respect to game play, DarkFall has nothing to apologize for. There is nothing that can compare with it, in my opinion.

That is MY review. Take if for what it is worth.

Thanks Owain

Last edited by JetStar; 05/10/09 10:24 AM.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Why do we need to leave Khosgar? can't we have two cities? Sorry I'm a noob in this game ;-).

Kind regards
AllYourBase AreBelongToUs / Borne OfFire

------------
Dude: "My thief BS for 800 dmg! Omfg, omfg, lawl, noobzorz"
AYB (drunk): "Do people take damage from being bullshitted? WTF???"
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
The Siege of Andruk will go down in KGB History as one of our great events.

Recently, I have been posting over at Lum the Mad's web site, Broken Toys, citing the virtues of Darkfall, and praising the KGB's efforts in game. Lum is an old Ultima Online player from way back, and his UO blog used to be very funny, and good reading. Lately, he has gotten down on PvP games in general, and Darkfall in particular, so I have taken it upon myself to present the opposing view.

He currently has a post up about a bad Darkfall review in Eurogamer magazine, where the reviewer played for about 10 minutes, didn't like fighting goblins, and so concluded that Darkfall was a BAD game. Putz.

In contrast, I recounted the events describing the Siege of Andruk, as seen from my limited perspective. Jet, by all means, if you think it is worthy, copy that post, and include in the KGB Archives. An entry from my personal War Journal that I hope will serve to let future generations of KGB warriors know what befell this day, during the Siege of Andruk.

You can read my entry here.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Owain #44885 05/10/09 01:13 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Great Post, Owain. I'm sure I'll be seeing you at lunch some time this next week, should all go well and I have enough free time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Cool!

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Owain #44920 05/11/09 04:44 AM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Yeah, really cool Owain. Dammit I wish I could have been there... or rather been there for more than the 5 secs it took my lag-invisible opponent to finish off my naked noob toon...

Dammit I can't wait til I get to take part in a real battle again. It's been soooo long (the siege of HOE on an northern island in SB... some 3 years ago, with 1000+ and a lagfest galore!). And also that little Dwarf who shouted commands in vent and telling people not to curse ;-).

Kind regards
AllYourBase AreBelongToUs / Borne OfFire

------------
Dude: "My thief BS for 800 dmg! Omfg, omfg, lawl, noobzorz"
AYB (drunk): "Do people take damage from being bullshitted? WTF???"
S
Band 3
Band 3
S
I didn't get any loot whatsoever but is by far my favourite siege smile.

come on board for the big win

Inside every Hyperion is a KGB waiting to get out, we are here to help the wesux to get out
Band 1
Band 1
Hip Hip

HOORAH!!!

Good job guys, Long Live KGB; Long Live Jetstar!

Moderated by  JetStar 

Link Copied to Clipboard