KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Zhou #134078 12/15/15 05:05 AM
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
Everyone in this game is going to have to have a ship of some kind or another whether that's their focus or not. Personally I would think the Navy rank should be held for people who intend to operate larger multi-crew ships on a regular basis- who will need guild mates more often, say any ship larger than a Constellation. Whereas the Marine Corps would be more for people who not only want to focus FPS, but also the people who will primarily be piloting fighters, small cargo haulers, ect. - basically anything smaller than a Constellation- most of their time.

Last edited by Selenian; 12/15/15 05:12 AM.
Selenian #134079 12/15/15 05:17 AM
Zhou Offline OP
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
OP Offline
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB Star Citizen Faction
Originally Posted By: Selenian
Everyone in this game is going to have to have a ship of some kind or another whether that's their focus or not. Personally I would think the Navy rank should be held for people who intend to operate larger multi-crew ships on a regular basis- who will need guild mates more often, say any ship larger than a Constellation. Whereas the Marine Corps would be more for people who not only want to focus FPS, but also the people who will primarily be piloting fighters, small cargo haulers, ect. - basically anything smaller than a Constellation- most of their time.

Good point cause even in our time marines are usually the fighter pilots attached to carriers in the small fighter crafts. I think the navy will be for those captaining ships on a regular basis, larger ships, those manning stations frequently can stay in the lower tier.

Last edited by Zhou; 12/15/15 05:21 AM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KGB TS Server Administrator
KGB High Chancellor - Star Citizen
Zhou #134081 12/15/15 09:31 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Leave it up to the individual. There is Naval aviation, and Marine Corps aviation, but most crews are composed of Navy Lieutenants and below,or Marine Captains or below. Marines do not command capital ships.

Even though I was active duty Air Force back in the day, I identify more with the Marines than I do the Navy, so put me down as KGB Fleet Marine Corps. As a former fast mover, at this time I do not plan to acquire a heavy ship. If we need air cover, I'll fly my fighter. If we need assault troops, I'll put on armor and pack a heavy weapon.

What is best? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women.

Last edited by Owain; 12/15/15 09:41 AM.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Zhou #134102 12/15/15 07:04 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Yup - that makes sense. EVERYONE will have a ship, so role really depends on the individual. Having "Marines" flying around is totally fine, I wasn't thinking that they be "ground pounders" only. Mostly, was thinking along the same lines, that larger capital pilots would be "Navy" vs "Marine" just to tell them apart.

So past "Recruit" the default would be "Marine", unless the player requests to be moved to "Navy". That works for me!

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
Zhou #134108 12/16/15 05:32 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
KISS, starship troopers style. As others have said, marines for smaller vessels and navy for multi. Could go even simpler: commanders/captains for multi, "support" for the rest, and possibly an Intel/scout rank (if there's a rank to spare).

Alternative: role preference-based ranks. Combat, combat support, logistics, (intel, or cram into support or logistics). You lose rank structure thus way, but you know what you have available for mission types

The more I think of it, the more I prefer the latter. I'll be operating large ships (endeavor-hope) and ground pounding (medic, if available) and hopefully some clandestine work

They/Them

Star Citizen:
MISC Endeavor -- Anvil Carrack -- Anvil Terrapin -- Drake Dragonfly
Zhou #134127 12/16/15 10:23 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
In a role playing game, players should pick the role that best suits them. Our job is to provide the framework to assist in that process.

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Zhou #134198 12/20/15 11:44 AM
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
I can't wait!

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Zhou #134206 12/21/15 10:50 AM
Z
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Z
I like the Navy/Marine rank concept. Sidara and I will probably be flying around as Marines until we see how the game unfolds. If it's not the same linear progression that most space games take (get small ship, make money, buy bigger ship, rinse/repeat) we may be happy just specializing in support roles as mobile infantry or air support.

I'm just hoping I can get my control setup to work as well as I have it in Elite: Dangerous - at least for the flying portion of the game. We play a fair amount of FPS games so we should be good on that front :)

I may have to call dibs on the Javelin Mess Hall. Chef Zane at your service~

-Hadrik Hardhammer, FFXIV | -Zsane, Archeage (Retired) | Steam: KGB Zane | E-mail: Zane@ecsinc.com | Currently on Tap: Empty Keg :(
Zsane #134218 12/22/15 03:42 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Zsane

I'm just hoping I can get my control setup to work as well as I have it in Elite: Dangerous - at least for the flying portion of the game. We play a fair amount of FPS games so we should be good on that front :)

My joystick config was pretty straight forward and works the same for me as Elite:Dangerous, but others (Owain) is having some trouble due to difference in how joysticks track movement.

Currently, the default arrangement for Star Citizen is Y-axis (Left/Right stick) is what I consider "RUDDER" and the Z-Axis (Rotate Left/Right) is "ROLL" - I prefer these two to be switched to match every other flight sim that I have EVER played. I ended up using a program to save my config as an XML file that I can load as need be.

I am certain when they have more time/resources they will put more effort into the joystick configuration - but currently it is rudimentary at best - and any changes you make, can get overwritten when there is an update! DOH!!

The other GREAT news is even now (early ALPHA) - multi keyboard/mouse/joystick support. So any control system you have (rudder pedals/etc) will show up and you can use all interchangeably. So you can use joystick for flying, and then grab your mouse/keyboard for EVA'ing out and FPS combat. That stuff just works!

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
Taxman #134220 12/22/15 11:02 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
With the SC keymapping tool, if you get things working you can export your configuration so that when they do have an update, you can import it again, and you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

If they change the underlying code, however, you may still have to redo your config. On the SC forums thread on this subject (107+ pages long, at last count) that is a common complaint, but to be expected in a game in Alpha development.

My problem is that the game sees my 3 rotation axis (pitch roll yaw) as a positive numbers instead of signed numbers, so when I reprogram SC for my joystick, I can only roll in one direction, for example, since I can't give a negative roll input.

I went to submit a bug report on the problem, but someone else already reported the issue with a different joystick, so it seems to be a common problem. I added my data to that bug report, so hopefully, it will be resolved in a future update.

Last edited by Owain; 12/22/15 11:12 AM.

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard