KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Decon Black
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,988,697 Trump card
1,324,443 Picture Thread
474,043 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Petition against paid mods on Steam draws 34,000 signatures in a day

Quote:
It's fair to say that not everyone is happy with yesterday's launch of paid mods on Steam. And so, as is the way of things, there's now a petition demanding that Valve "remove the paid content of the Steam Workshop" on Change.org—and it's attracted more than 34,000 signatures in less than 24 hours.
"The workshop is a place for people to share content with each other they made so all can enjoy it for free," the petition states. "Mods should be a free creation. Creations made by people who wish to add to the game so others can also enjoy said creation with the game. We need to unite and reject this act by Valve. Unite have Valve remove the paid content of the Workshop."
Internet petitions follow internet anger like night follows day, but as Tyler talked about yesterday, some of the concerns about paid mods are perfectly legitimate and understandable. Even so, I'm a little surprised by the intensity of the backlash. The Steam forums are alight with conversation, and of course the news that one paid mod has already been removed because it contained content from another, free mod has only added fuel to the fire.
Of course, Valve is under no obligation to respond to this petition, and so far today there are far more people actually playing Skyrim—48,000—than have called on Valve to end paid Skyrim mods. But the number of signatories is climbing, and eventually, if the growth continues, it's going to get awfully hard to ignore.

http://www.pcgamer.com/petition-against-paid-mods-on-steam-draws-34000-signatures-in-a-day/

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I was part of that..

I even worked up something against Valve and their actions..

KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
One of the worst decisions Gabe has put in place. It's already horrible in that large mods can't be uploaded to the workshop due to the size restrictions so you have to drop a primer in the Steam Workshop and then host a zip file somewhere and provide instructions how to get the rest of the mod file and how to install and incorporate it.

I signed this petition and hope Valve pulls its head out of its ass and doesn't kill one of the best Mod Communities going. In all reality, some schmuck got into Gabe's ear and got him to agree that a piece of the price charged for the Mod was worth shitting on your consumer base.

Reminds me of Diablo III once the Marketplace went live. Developed a game and core mechanics around being butt hurt Blizzard wasn't getting any of the RL dollars changing hands for Gold and Items on PA.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Tasorin
In all reality, some schmuck got into Gabe's ear and got him to agree that a piece of the price charged for the Mod was worth shitting on your consumer base.

A piece? Valve takes 75% for doing nothing but hosting. I love how they are trying to spin it that they are helping modder's get recognition and a few bucks as they take the lion's share. I get they have to pay off Bethesda too, in the case of Skyrim, but fuck that's an obvious cash grab.

Here's the 'screenshot' I hacked up for the Skyrim pages.. It was quick and dirty and well..

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430800432

It was to expand on the fact that it could be worse.. they could have us pay for 'chunks' of the game and you need to pay to complete it, lol.

Last edited by Ictinike; 04/24/15 06:16 PM.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
LMAO.. Check out the Skyrim workshop now..

Go to the 'Paid Mods - Under Review' section and check out the new shit you can buy, lmao!

This one was like .50 or a buck..

and for $99.99 you can get..

Last edited by Ictinike; 04/24/15 06:23 PM.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight

KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Tasorin
One of the worst decisions Gabe has put in place.

Yep.

[Linked Image]
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
Up to 118k individual signatures.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Valve has rolled back the paywalls on mods int he workshop.

Unclear if they will go forward with other plans, modify the existing plan or what but for now; paid mods are out.

http://www.bethblog.com/2015/04/27/why-were-trying-paid-skyrim-mods-on-steam/

Originally Posted By: Bethesda

Update: After discussion with Valve, and listening to our community, paid mods are being removed from Steam Workshop. Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear – this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Originally Posted By: Valve

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different.

Last edited by Ictinike; 04/27/15 06:42 PM.

KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
That and the Fed was already looking at Interstate Commercial Code violations and Wire Tapping (since its the interwebs) due to Valve selling, and taking monies for products that are not what they are represented as. It literately took someone a matter of hours to make in effect "blank" mods and get USD for them with no oversight from the purveyor Valve.

Consumer laws are a bitch sometimes...

Moderated by  JetStar 

Link Copied to Clipboard