The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Zhou Guild type? - 10/11/13 01:19 AM
Corporation- Mercantile intent

PMC- Private Military Force with basic Corporation aspects

Faith- Religious cult style

Syndicate- Underground Criminal Organization

Pretty sure we would be classified as a PMC. Seems like the best type of choice. What does everyone else think?
Posted By: Mr. Simmons Re: Guild type? - 10/11/13 04:48 AM
PMC or Corporation I would say. A corp can have its own military wing, or at least I would think it could.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Guild type? - 10/11/13 08:44 PM
VOTE PMC
Posted By: Instrument Re: Guild type? - 10/12/13 04:20 PM
all we have so far is a nice video how the choice will affect the game we do not know

until be get a few facts I vote for

A Cult with a circular structure set up to worship a pint of warm beer
Posted By: Zhou Re: Guild type? - 10/12/13 10:12 PM
Hopefully you can go back and change the type later on otherwise it will need to be decided beforehand.

That ability to organize and rank the entire structure seems like quite the organization tool.

Though no set time frame for release of organizations yet on the site. I will be keeping constant update to get a hold of this asap. Like how you can set the founder as well.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Guild type? - 10/16/13 02:55 AM
Faith-Order of the Beer Knights

Done and Done.

/end thread
Posted By: Zhou Re: Guild type? - 10/16/13 10:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Tasorin
Faith-Order of the Beer Knights

Done and Done.

/end thread

Haha nice Tas
Posted By: Instrument Re: Guild type? - 10/16/13 08:25 PM
do we get guild markings on our ships?
Posted By: Zhou Re: Guild type? - 10/16/13 08:51 PM
They haven't went into any specific regarding decals for naming ships or any guild markings yet. I hope both would be in there eventually but we will have to wait and see.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Guild type? - 10/25/13 02:36 AM
Due to the level of detail in the ships the chances of ship decals that are player submitted to be pushed to render is pretty small. You may get to purchase standardized decals offered through VD, but due to the propensity of Nazi Penis logos submitted by players and the cost to check, store and additional bandwidth to render....forget about custom submitted decals.

Posted By: Instrument Re: Guild type? - 10/25/13 06:49 AM
how about KGB flightsuits
Posted By: Instrument Re: Guild type? - 12/06/13 09:16 PM
new update on player group setups in SC
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13418-All-About-Organizations

which leads to the question what will the 6 ranks of KGB be called?
the default is

Rank 0 – Recruit
Rank 1 – Lieutenant
Rank 2 – Captain
Rank 3 – Lieutenant Colonel
Rank 4 – Colonel
Rank 5 – General
Posted By: Instrument Re: Guild type? - 12/06/13 09:22 PM
Rank 0 – Tea Total
Rank 1 – Social drinker
Rank 2 – Regular
Rank 3 – Binge drinker
Rank 4 – Breakfast of champions
Rank 5 – My name is...
Posted By: Zhou Re: Guild type? - 12/07/13 12:36 AM
Don't think we will go that exotic on rank names. They can be edited at anytime so not something we need done now. I'm sure Jet will prob want them similar to guild ranks in some manner.
Posted By: Hobbitlauncher Re: Guild type? - 12/07/13 01:44 AM
I'd just use guild ranks honestly

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13418-All-About-Organizations (Shame on you got beating me to it!)

I would say faith or pmc or leave it blank for now. No need to be pigeonholed
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Guild type? - 12/07/13 01:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Instrument
Rank 0 – Tea Total
Rank 1 – Social drinker
Rank 2 – Regular
Rank 3 – Binge drinker
Rank 4 – Breakfast of champions
Rank 5 – My name is...

Rank 1 – Frog Holder
Rank 2 – Keg Attendant
Rank 3 – Keepers of the Beer
Rank 4 – Hand of Glory
Rank 5 – Donktatorship
Posted By: Zhou Re: Guild type? - 12/07/13 01:56 AM
PMC def the front runner for type
Posted By: JetStar Re: Guild type? - 12/10/13 10:40 PM
I like PMC.

Obviously the GSS is going to be VERY active in this game.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Guild type? - 12/13/13 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: JetStar
I like PMC.

Obviously the GSS is going to be VERY active in this game.

Yes they are.

If you are going to be hunting Players for profit, the best way to do that is to infiltrate the target org so you have an idea about the when and where (by system, by fleet strength) they are doing operations in and what type (value) those operations are and then focus your attacks on those with the highest return value.

This is where the unfinished and defined Person of Interest (PoI) system comes into play. Essentially, the spy would have the Pirates on there PoI and vice-versa. This way they can use the PoI to "zone in" the Pirates to the system instance you are in and then let the dakka dakka commence.

This is also where multiple accounts comes into play as is usual for anyone being serious and successful with digital espionage.
Posted By: Owain Re: Guild type? - 12/14/15 04:00 AM
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13418-All-About-Organizations

the default is

Rank 0 – Recruit
Rank 1 – Lieutenant
Rank 2 – Captain
Rank 4 – Colonel
Rank 5 – General

If we are going Air Force/Marine aviation ranks, you are missing
2.5 Major

If we are thinking Naval, it would be
1 Ensign
2 Lieutenant
3 Lieutenant Commander
4 Commander
5 Captain
6 Admiral

If there is any place for Fleet Marines, both would be appropriate, although both are odd with no enlisted grades. Too much accuracy, I suppose.
Posted By: Exey Re: Guild type? - 12/14/15 06:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Owain

the default is

Rank 0 – Recruit
Rank 1 – Lieutenant
Rank 2 – Captain
Rank 4 – Colonel
Rank 5 – General

If we are going Air Force/Marine aviation ranks, you are missing
2.5 Major

If we are thinking Naval, it would be
1 Ensign
2 Lieutenant
3 Lieutenant Commander
4 Commander
5 Captain
6 Admiral

If there is any place for Fleet Marines, both would be appropriate, although both are odd with no enlisted grades. Too much accuracy, I suppose.

Typically Sea (Space) and Land (Close Quarters Combat, Marines) would run parallel to each other, however normally marine ranks consist of majority enlisted ranks with few officers. Typically a captain (O-3) would be in charge of a company while anything lower than that would be taken care of by a lieutenant or higher ranking enlisted member. Unless we grow to be quite large in Star Citizen I can't see our Marine ranks growing to be any larger than the Company level which would allow for maybe one or two individuals above the rank of Captain to oversee all Marine operations.

The naval side of things seems to be where the bread and butter of this game will be from my limited involvement in watching videos and reading about it. I think we'd be able to have a full range of Naval ranks to include officers and enlisted support and operational chains of command. The dynamic of some of the larger ships requiring multiple crew members to operate means that people would be able to specialize and thus progress in their particular area of expertise while still serving as combat troops whenever needed.

But with the in-game ranks limited to only 6, I would just hope they allow for a comments / note section so at least we could define specialties or KGB specific ranks.
Posted By: Taxman Re: Guild type? - 12/14/15 07:26 AM
Vote for PMC....

And I think Naval ranks for ship centric folks... and Marine Ranks for those more interested in the Space Marine FPS front (if possible).
Posted By: Zhou Re: Guild type? - 12/14/15 12:15 PM
Yup the limit on ranks kind of suck. 6 standard ranks and 4 officer ranks but the officer ranks are limited to specific areas like web page banner editing, recruiting and other nonsense.

I hope the alter and improve the current system. This original goal was saposta allow for us to assign squads and stuff never heard of that again.
Posted By: Owain Re: Guild type? - 12/14/15 04:53 PM
The KGB has never paid much attention to official game ranks, preferring to establish our own structure. How about this?

Instead of the game rank signifying an actual rank, it conveys position or branch of service.

0 Recruit
1 KGB Fleet Marine Corps
2 KGB Navy
3 Commandant KGB Marine Corps (CMC)
4 KGB Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) (Zhou)
5 KGB Commander in Chief (CinC)(Jetstar)

Under both KGB Fleet Marine Corps or KGB Navy, we could establish as elaborate a rank structure as we want or need.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Guild type? - 12/14/15 05:43 PM
Very nice suggestion Owain, I like that idea if we only have a set limit of ranks. Any other takers on this?
Posted By: Exey Re: Guild type? - 12/15/15 02:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Zhou
Very nice suggestion Owain, I like that idea if we only have a set limit of ranks. Any other takers on this?

agree... this would let you also see what type of force you have online at any time with just a glance or by organizing the guild list if that is possible.
Posted By: Taxman Re: Guild type? - 12/15/15 02:57 AM
Agree - looks good to me, if we have limits to ranking then it makes sense to align the titles with function so leadership can see who's online and what they are interested in immediately.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Guild type? - 12/15/15 03:53 AM
Owain's suggestion is now the default setup for our rank structure. Everyone is set to Fleet Marine Corps unless otherwise specified. Everyone's personal choice to make.
Role ranks are as follows.

CKGB - Branding/webpage editing
Recruitment officer - Managing applications
Guild Leadership - Manage Members and ranks
Guild Representative- everything
Posted By: Owain Re: Guild type? - 12/15/15 06:22 AM
I think KGB Navy might be a better default. I'm not sure how much FPS action the game will have, since SC is mostly a flight sim game. If there is some FPS action, then Fleet Marines will be a good option for KGB members uninterested in a flight sim game who wouldn't otherwise play Star Citizen.
Posted By: Taxman Re: Guild type? - 12/15/15 09:03 AM
Personally I don't plan on much FPS myself; but I don't mind dropping of a squad of Marines in my Retaliator though. ^_^

Indeed, some folks who may not be keen on the flying around part would definitely take part in Star Citizen as FPS Marines or support (Turret Gunners).
Posted By: Selenian Re: Guild type? - 12/15/15 12:05 PM
Everyone in this game is going to have to have a ship of some kind or another whether that's their focus or not. Personally I would think the Navy rank should be held for people who intend to operate larger multi-crew ships on a regular basis- who will need guild mates more often, say any ship larger than a Constellation. Whereas the Marine Corps would be more for people who not only want to focus FPS, but also the people who will primarily be piloting fighters, small cargo haulers, ect. - basically anything smaller than a Constellation- most of their time.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Guild type? - 12/15/15 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Selenian
Everyone in this game is going to have to have a ship of some kind or another whether that's their focus or not. Personally I would think the Navy rank should be held for people who intend to operate larger multi-crew ships on a regular basis- who will need guild mates more often, say any ship larger than a Constellation. Whereas the Marine Corps would be more for people who not only want to focus FPS, but also the people who will primarily be piloting fighters, small cargo haulers, ect. - basically anything smaller than a Constellation- most of their time.

Good point cause even in our time marines are usually the fighter pilots attached to carriers in the small fighter crafts. I think the navy will be for those captaining ships on a regular basis, larger ships, those manning stations frequently can stay in the lower tier.
Posted By: Owain Re: Guild type? - 12/15/15 04:31 PM
Leave it up to the individual. There is Naval aviation, and Marine Corps aviation, but most crews are composed of Navy Lieutenants and below,or Marine Captains or below. Marines do not command capital ships.

Even though I was active duty Air Force back in the day, I identify more with the Marines than I do the Navy, so put me down as KGB Fleet Marine Corps. As a former fast mover, at this time I do not plan to acquire a heavy ship. If we need air cover, I'll fly my fighter. If we need assault troops, I'll put on armor and pack a heavy weapon.

What is best? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women.
Posted By: Taxman Re: Guild type? - 12/16/15 02:04 AM
Yup - that makes sense. EVERYONE will have a ship, so role really depends on the individual. Having "Marines" flying around is totally fine, I wasn't thinking that they be "ground pounders" only. Mostly, was thinking along the same lines, that larger capital pilots would be "Navy" vs "Marine" just to tell them apart.

So past "Recruit" the default would be "Marine", unless the player requests to be moved to "Navy". That works for me!
Posted By: Hobbitlauncher Re: Guild type? - 12/16/15 12:32 PM
KISS, starship troopers style. As others have said, marines for smaller vessels and navy for multi. Could go even simpler: commanders/captains for multi, "support" for the rest, and possibly an Intel/scout rank (if there's a rank to spare).

Alternative: role preference-based ranks. Combat, combat support, logistics, (intel, or cram into support or logistics). You lose rank structure thus way, but you know what you have available for mission types

The more I think of it, the more I prefer the latter. I'll be operating large ships (endeavor-hope) and ground pounding (medic, if available) and hopefully some clandestine work
Posted By: Owain Re: Guild type? - 12/16/15 05:23 PM
In a role playing game, players should pick the role that best suits them. Our job is to provide the framework to assist in that process.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Guild type? - 12/20/15 06:44 PM
I can't wait!
Posted By: Zsane Re: Guild type? - 12/21/15 05:50 PM
I like the Navy/Marine rank concept. Sidara and I will probably be flying around as Marines until we see how the game unfolds. If it's not the same linear progression that most space games take (get small ship, make money, buy bigger ship, rinse/repeat) we may be happy just specializing in support roles as mobile infantry or air support.

I'm just hoping I can get my control setup to work as well as I have it in Elite: Dangerous - at least for the flying portion of the game. We play a fair amount of FPS games so we should be good on that front :)

I may have to call dibs on the Javelin Mess Hall. Chef Zane at your service~
Posted By: Taxman Re: Guild type? - 12/22/15 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Zsane

I'm just hoping I can get my control setup to work as well as I have it in Elite: Dangerous - at least for the flying portion of the game. We play a fair amount of FPS games so we should be good on that front :)

My joystick config was pretty straight forward and works the same for me as Elite:Dangerous, but others (Owain) is having some trouble due to difference in how joysticks track movement.

Currently, the default arrangement for Star Citizen is Y-axis (Left/Right stick) is what I consider "RUDDER" and the Z-Axis (Rotate Left/Right) is "ROLL" - I prefer these two to be switched to match every other flight sim that I have EVER played. I ended up using a program to save my config as an XML file that I can load as need be.

I am certain when they have more time/resources they will put more effort into the joystick configuration - but currently it is rudimentary at best - and any changes you make, can get overwritten when there is an update! DOH!!

The other GREAT news is even now (early ALPHA) - multi keyboard/mouse/joystick support. So any control system you have (rudder pedals/etc) will show up and you can use all interchangeably. So you can use joystick for flying, and then grab your mouse/keyboard for EVA'ing out and FPS combat. That stuff just works!
Posted By: Owain Re: Guild type? - 12/22/15 06:02 PM
With the SC keymapping tool, if you get things working you can export your configuration so that when they do have an update, you can import it again, and you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

If they change the underlying code, however, you may still have to redo your config. On the SC forums thread on this subject (107+ pages long, at last count) that is a common complaint, but to be expected in a game in Alpha development.

My problem is that the game sees my 3 rotation axis (pitch roll yaw) as a positive numbers instead of signed numbers, so when I reprogram SC for my joystick, I can only roll in one direction, for example, since I can't give a negative roll input.

I went to submit a bug report on the problem, but someone else already reported the issue with a different joystick, so it seems to be a common problem. I added my data to that bug report, so hopefully, it will be resolved in a future update.
Posted By: Zsane Re: Guild type? - 12/23/15 06:04 AM
I actually use an Xbox 360 controller for playing Elite which has worked really well for me. The unique way I have it configured is the issue I run into with SC. With Elite I have the left thumbstick set to control vertical and horizontal thrust and the right thumbstick set to pitch and roll. If I click my right thumbstick it toggles between roll and yaw modes for that thumbstick. It lets me easily turn the craft and line up a target and then swap to yaw mode for fine adjustments.

I haven't been able to duplicate that in SC as of yet. I am sure there are ways I can make this work with third-party software or fiddling with the game a bit more. I just haven't had the desire to mess around in the SC client for much more than a few minutes so I didn't put much effort into it.

I should really free up some space on my SSD and get the 2.0 client downloaded.
Posted By: Instrument Re: Guild type? - 12/23/15 03:44 PM
give it a day or so as it is likely that 2.1 will drop to live in the next 48hrs
Posted By: Owain Re: Guild type? - 12/24/15 05:36 AM
2.1.0 has been released.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/306826/2-1-0-published-to-ptu
Posted By: Taxman Re: Guild type? - 12/24/15 05:42 AM
Well 2.1 was just released to EVERYONE on PTU. :-) It has been up there for a select group of players/streamer/etc to test while they fixed issues/etc. Apparently still a few issue preventing it from rolling over, but they opened it up to EVERYONE to try.

They are still keeping 2.0 on the "normal" servers until after the holidays (that way people have a choice if they are having problems).
© The KGB Oracle