The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Zhou Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 07/08/13 01:27 AM
I've been wondering what method I will eventually try out for this game and I want to see what advantages they will hold. During Alpha I will test each of the methods available to see what is best suited for myself. How about everyone else? What are you thinking of using for Star Citizen.
Posted By: Vuldan Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 07/08/13 01:35 AM
If its viable, Joystick, ALWAYS. The simple reality is replication of true flight mechanics is best achieved with a Joystick, top quality one like Cyborg or Saitek if you have it. I am praying anyway. I used joysticks to great success in all of the wing commander and successive series, I hope its as viable.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 07/08/13 02:51 AM
I was also leaning towards a joystick. However over the years i no longer have one. So i recently purchased he Thrustmaster T160000M to test out the joystick features at alpha. If it works well I'll upgrade to something better if necessary. That is if its superior to the other options.

Link to joystick main webpage: Roughly $45.00 off amazon when i bought it.
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/t16000m
Keyboard and mouse is what I used for Freelancer and Wing Commander so figure I will go the same route!
VR headset is the way

Star Citizen, the upcoming space role-playing simulator from Chris Roberts (creator of Wing Commander and Freelancer) is being built with Oculus support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift
Posted By: Arkh Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 07/14/13 05:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Instrument
VR headset is the way

Star Citizen, the upcoming space role-playing simulator from Chris Roberts (creator of Wing Commander and Freelancer) is being built with Oculus support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

Good thing. Now you need a good seat on hydraulics to get even more immersion.
Posted By: Brommas Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 07/14/13 10:03 PM
I really really hope they make joystick viable in this . I have a Saitek X52 that I havent been able to use since I bought it because most games mouse > stick

I will also have a Oculus rift for sure when the production models hit the market. At that point I will probably never leave my computer and become one with my desk chair
Your Oculus Order is About to Ship

You're receiving this email because your Oculus order will be advancing to "Processing" status in the next 24 hours.

all I need now is a chair

oh and the game would be nice
You got the Oculus dev kit?
Posted By: Brommas Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 07/30/13 09:41 PM
Awesome Instrument when you get it I want to know everything you like and dislike about it
My new toy turned up
Came in its own hard plastic carry case with foam inserts very sniper-ish
Took a while to set up had to lose a monitor and I still do not have the focus perfect but WOW!!!!

It’s a real game changer each eye sees its own image so you see the games in 3D
All you see is the image there is nothing else
And the tracking means whenever you move your head the view changes as well

It changes you from being in a room looking at a screen to being inside the screen looking around

Played around with a few demos and half-life2 which has it supported in a beta version after 2 hours I had to stop due to me feeling sick
What my brain was seeing and my body was feeling was not matching up so I got motion sickness !!!!

Next game on the list is War Thunder it’s a beta of a flight sim that supports the rift so should give me a feel for how it will work in SC

One think that is already obvious is you do need to make sure you have all your controls in hand as you are effectively blind to reality
Posted By: Zhou Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 08/07/13 12:31 PM
Are you talking about the Oculus Rift? Sounds like a nice piece of equipment.
Posted By: Taxman Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 09/01/13 04:08 AM
Freelancer was a really nice combo of mouse + keyboard. I am sure they will implement that at least.

It would be nice if they added joystick to go along with it though! :-)
joystick is the main method of control its a flight sim

although in most demos of the hanger an gamepad was used
Posted By: Zhou Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 09/01/13 01:35 PM
For the hangar a controller seems to work best right now.
and I am out of date already and OR has not even launched yet

OR dev kit mark 2 is now out

http://www.oculusvr.com/
Posted By: Zhou Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 09/18/14 06:58 PM
Sandie working with some OEM for custom Star Citizen HOTAS. ~12 months from start to finish. Expect more information down the road.

From the new ATV 14. Going to be interested in this.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 09/18/14 07:16 PM
I dislike that rachent skank faux gamer immensely. Other than that she has a decent rack and I would put it in her pooper.

/sexist-remarks

Here is why this is a good thing. It forces SC to really support 6 DOF and full HOTAS support and move away from the arcade nature of the current technology demonstrator called Arena Commander.
Posted By: Zhou Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 10/12/14 03:42 AM
After playing more recently.

Keyboard/mouse still elite
Joystick is good depending on the ship
Controller is great for racing.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 10/12/14 04:30 PM
They keep getting beat up by all the pro gamers who don't want an arcade sim fighter in space. At some point RSI is going to have to either step up to there promises or come clean about there inability to meet them on schedule.
Posted By: CaScA Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 11/11/14 05:33 AM
<... Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.
Posted By: CaScA Re: Joystick or Keyboard/Mouse or Controller - 12/30/14 08:43 PM
Been working on creating .pro's for the X-55.
So far so good :)
I need to build my stands now for the stick and throttle that will attach to my chair.

Will pic when done :)
© The KGB Oracle