The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Kaotic Understanding Vs Projection - 02/02/18 05:15 PM
I couldn't help but think of some of the discussions here, while reading this article.

Originally Posted by TheAtlantic
But there is a way to reduce needless division over the countless disagreements that are inevitable in a pluralistic democracy: get better at accurately characterizing the views of folks with differing opinions, rather than egging them on to offer more extreme statements in interviews; or even worse, distorting their words so that existing divisions seem more intractable or impossible to tolerate than they are. That sort of exaggeration or hyperbolic misrepresentation is epidemic—and addressing it for everyone’s sake is long overdue.
Posted By: Sini Re: Understanding Vs Projection - 02/03/18 01:00 AM
So you are saying you agree with Peterson? Bigot!

On a serious note, I think it is social media echo chamber that poison discourse. It encourages group think and one-up-manship. This in turn skews your sense of normal and acceptable.

True story. I used to frequent a site that had thoughtful political commentary from liberal-leaning point of view. Then they implemented like system. Over a year it turned into intolerant echo chamber hostile to dissent. Why? People craved titles that came with getting more likes and that turned group dynamics against dissent. While nobody admit, getting likes became more important than actual debate.
© The KGB Oracle