The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Lenny Video Card help - 08/22/06 05:36 PM
I know this was posted earlier, but i am looking to bye a GeForce 6800 Ultra with 512 MB. I would like to know if the card comes with a video in and a video out.

I wonder what i need to have a video in 512 mb and good for gaming. Is there such a thing.
Posted By: Valentein Re: Video Card help - 08/22/06 08:45 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/24/graphics_beginners/

This is part one of three. By the end you should have your questions answered.
Posted By: Valentein Re: Video Card help - 08/22/06 08:48 PM
BTW, the amount of memory in a vid card has the least amount of impact when it comes to performance, compared to other factors such as number of pipelines and clock speed.
Posted By: Taxman Re: Video Card help - 08/23/06 03:19 PM
After talking to Lenny more last night (while waiting for the Eve server to come online) - sounds like he mostly wanted the VIVO (video in video out) for watching Hockey in High Definition. VIVO really won't help you to do that, instead I reccomended getting a HDTV tuner card (PCI) for that purpose. What VIVO acutally does is allow you to hook your PC up to a Television screen or Video Recorder (Video Out), and to record an incoming video feed (from a TV, VCR, Camcorder). VIVO does NOT provide a tuner or any way to recieve any Television or High Definition broadcasts.

You will also want to make certain that HD signal is actually available in your area. Not sure the best resources for finding out - but this page seems to be a good start -> http://www.cdtv.ca

To get an idea of what is available - try www.froogle.com and type in "HDTV tuner PCI" and see what is available in your area. For example an ATI "HDTV Wonder PCI TV Tuner Remote Control Edition" might just do the trick. It would provide the tuner card (to recieve and to record the signals) as well as provide a remote control (just like a TV).

Hope that helps Lenny!
Posted By: Taxman Re: Video Card help - 08/26/06 11:05 AM
Ah, okay looks like you want to go with sattelite.

Since that will be your "tuner" then you need something that will record a HD video signal. Most VIVO cards don't do that - so you will definitely need to do some shopping around a bit for a card that will.

As I mentioned, perhaps it is a stand-alone card (not a video card, but a PCI bus card that will record video signals).
Posted By: Valentein Re: Video Card help - 08/26/06 03:58 PM
Check this out:

http://www.snapstream.com/Products/beyondtv/hdtv-setup-center.asp#equipment
Posted By: Raekwon Re: Video Card help - 08/27/06 10:20 AM
Val does that require you to then pay a monthly service fee as well? Or do you just buy that "BeyondTV" program, buy the PCI card, buy the antenna and once its all hooked up you get to pirate HD TV for free?
Posted By: Valentein Re: Video Card help - 08/27/06 03:03 PM
It's not priated. Beyond TV, from what I read, is just PVR software. In that link they describe a sattelite hookup that will allow you to record HD programs.
© The KGB Oracle