The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Crimthan "The Break-Up" - A Review - 06/04/06 03:07 PM
When I consider going to a movie, I keep in mind that trailers are simply teasers setting out to attract an audience. No teaser could possibly do "The Break-Up" justice. Tbis movie was so jam-packed with unique twists and laugh-out-loud shockers that I'm definitely going to go watch it a second time just to catch anything I may have missed.

I suppose you could categorize this movie into the "Romantic Comedy" section, but I'd much rather take it for what it is: A Worthy Original. One thing I would definitely NOT call this movie is another "Chick-Flick." Some of the most interesting moments and schemes developled when Gary would back away to the bar to lick his wounds. When the couple are together, the vengeful over-tones set by Jennifer Aniston's character, Brooke, really set up the conflict with Vince Vaughn's Gary.

What begins with an ordinary argument between a couple escalates into a full out war as Gary refuses to empathize and see eye to eye with Brooke. This only makes matters worse, as Brooke chooses to stubbornly hang on to her pride and image rather than explain to Gary just how he has made her feel completely unappreciated and disrespected.

As Brooke attempts one mind-game after another, Gary quickly figures ways to foil her plans, resulting in a roller-coaster ride of hilarity and memorable moments. By the time Brooke becomes vulnerable and actually tries to reach out to Gary, the characters have become so well developed that I'd felt I was apart of their lives rather than watching another popcorn flick. Not to mention that watching tidbits of Gary playing Grand Theft Auto 4, EA Fight Night Round 2, and Football on his PS2 were Icing on the cake to a gamer. This was some of the best acting I've ever seen out of Vince Vaughn, and definitely the best performance of Jennifer Aniston's career thus far.

The bottom line: If you're going to this movie looking to find yet another cheap whimsical fantasy of a love story, you'd better look elsewhere. "The Break-Up" is absolutely true to the reality of relationships today, giving us, the audience, a reflection into our own lives - making it all the more worthwhile to watch.

I give this a 9.5 out of 10.
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: "The Break-Up" - A Review - 06/04/06 09:12 PM
Crimthan traded in his penis for a vag. Speaking of which, I got tricked into seeing Transamerica yesterday... let me just copy paste the IM I just sent.

Bibliotequa: I wanted to see Grandma's boy because everyone I speak to says it's pure roffles
Bibliotequa: well sam was about to cry because I didn't see Transamerica
Bibliotequa: I had no idea what it was about
Bibliotequa: but Transamerica
Bibliotequa: sounds like a chick flick about a road trip, right?
Bibliotequa: wrong
YOUcanCALLmePOOF: haha
YOUcanCALLmePOOF: oh ed
Bibliotequa: it's a road trip
Bibliotequa: but not of the Brittney Spears persuasion
Bibliotequa: no
Bibliotequa: of the Transvestite persuasion
Posted By: Crimthan Re: "The Break-Up" - A Review - 06/05/06 03:13 AM
Lol. Have you seen the movie? Go see it.

Yah, I know many men don't have the balls to go watch a movie where you can occassionally glimpse a woman's perspective on life - it might challenge your intellectuality too much to see things from a different perspective. However, you can cheer on Gary and also see things from Brooke's perspective at the same time in this movie. It's VERY balanced. It's pretty much an Anti-Romantic Comedy.
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: "The Break-Up" - A Review - 06/05/06 03:54 AM
nah I haven't seen it, maybe later this week, I thought it was just a chick flick, but if you champion it so much, I'll give it a shot.
© The KGB Oracle