The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Rytz w00t - 02/20/06 07:51 AM
Well, I'm finally graduating college next week. That also explains why I haven't been around since DnL kicked off. Senior project was kicking my ass, along with my 3 other classes. Since everything is mostly finished now I've been looking for a full-time job. Fun Stuff.

But anyway, I'll have more time to check out what's going on with KGB now.

A couple of my college friends and I are gathering ideas and information for developing an online RPG-style game. I was curious to know what every likes and dislikes in MMORPG's (obvious or not). For instance, what type of profession/class system do you like the most, such as skill-based or level-based, ect.

We've got a lot of stuff written down already, but the more ideas from more people the better. This game isn't obviously going to be top notch quality by any means, but we want to start fairly small and progress our skills and knowledge as we go.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

(PS: Is everyone just playing SB now?)
Posted By: Haraa Re: w00t - 02/20/06 10:51 AM
Ninja! and samurai!
Posted By: Valentein Re: w00t - 02/20/06 04:11 PM
Read Richard Bartle's "Designing Virtual Worlds"
Posted By: Dustrider Re: w00t - 02/20/06 04:37 PM
Your lucky if you didn't have a full time job during school. I had a full time job and a part time job while still in high school.

Part time on weekends and Full time after school on weedays. LOL. WTF was I thinking
Posted By: Bishop Re: w00t - 02/20/06 10:44 PM
As far as games, whether its skills or levels you want it to be very customizable.
Posted By: Rytz Re: w00t - 02/21/06 02:34 AM
Thanks all for the input. I'll definitely check out that book V. We are aiming for making something skill-based so that it's more customizable. I've never enjoyed class/level based games much because it's always so limiting.

Dust, you are one crazy mother. I worked part-time pretty much my whole time through school. I had the GI Bill to help me out with finances too.
Posted By: Garal Re: w00t - 02/21/06 03:10 AM
Quote:

Your lucky if you didn't have a full time job during school. I had a full time job and a part time job while still in high school.

Part time on weekends and Full time after school on weedays. LOL. WTF was I thinking

And that's why we have child labor laws :P

Back to the topic.. Personally, I like best how SB handled their skill trees.. made it so every char could be completely different.
Posted By: Rytz Re: w00t - 02/21/06 04:07 AM
Quote:

Read Richard Bartle's "Designing Virtual Worlds"

Just ordered this book from Amazon. Thanks for the reference. It got great reviews from everywhere that I looked. Can't wait to dig in.
Posted By: Seaelf Re: w00t - 02/21/06 09:59 AM
SB was kewl how you could gimp characters, ie. make a character that although lvl 50 was really pretty worthless.
© The KGB Oracle