The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Chez Which animal are you? - 01/28/06 03:40 AM
I found this post in the darkfall forums, I thought it was interesting. Its a good read for us gamers, and in my opinion, a pretty good way of categorizing us heh.

In an effort to perhaps clarify and simplify the Anti,The Carebear and the RPK I have borrowed from a gentleman I had the pleasure of hearing speak last fall at a conference for soldiers and police and adapted his theories on human nature as they Apply to PvP based MMORPG's

Divide people into three Basic groups.

1.Sheep

These are the vast majority of players.. 60 +%. The carebear. They are the folks who love the PvE, prefer farming to fighting, collecting the shiny baubles and having the coolest matching amour.. They are happy to craft, farm and spam marketplaces with trade babble.

These are also the folks who get very upset when they are victimized as they are the most materialistic. They don't want to lose their items they have worked so hard to craft or farm as their place in their hierarchy depends on the quality and quantity of their possessions.

These are truly the people on whom the economy runs and they are needed for that and they also provide the reason for the other 2 groups to exist.

2. Wolves

These are the folks traditionally known as the “RPK”. They live off the sheep. There is no empathy for the sheep or their suffering. The sheep provide them with sustenance and entertainment.

Some are lone wolves and others hunt in packs, attacking anything or anyone that is not in their immediate family. Some are fierce and their place in their pecking order is judged on their killing prowess and the fear they generate from their presence. To have crowds scatter while screaming their name in CAPS is what makes the blood flow in their veins.

Some are more cannibalistic sheep than wolf, choosing to melt into the shadows or out and out flee with their tails between their legs should anything close to their match appear to challenge them. They prey only on the weak and defenseless. These are the ones that howl worse than the regular sheep should you gain the upper hand, crying, cursing and cajoling endlessly until you block them. They are despised by all even other wolves.

The true wolf lives to fight and the harder the fight the better the honor. The more scars the more glory. These are the ones that send the simple “good fight” if you should kill them.

3. Dogs.

The Dog (or more appropriately the Guard dog or Sheep dog)..The true Anti… is by far the most understood and complex of all the groups. They are the ones that feel compelled to protect the sheep, they have the empathy for the sheep that the wolves lack, yet they can also despise the sheep even more so than the wolves do. Sometimes the sheep drives the dog to the point of madness until he turns on them and it is because of this that although the sheep may idolize the Dog because he protects them from the Wolves, the sheep is always somewhat fearful and suspicious of the Dog.

The Dog does not live to protect the sheep despite the instinctive draw to do so, the Dog lives to hunt the wolf and the sheep provide them the means to do this. The Dog has many characteristics of the Wolf, the love of battle, the adrenaline rush of a worthy opponent, the pride of the scars and prowess and even the love of the feeling of the grease of an opponent’s defeat dribbling from their chin.

Dog’s have a wee bit of self loathing, though they appreciate the fawning of the Sheep, and they gloat from the incessant whining of the more craven wolves..What almost all dogs yearn for most is the respect and acknowledgement of the true fighting wolf because by far the most satisfying fight is between opponents who respect each other. This is a rare thing as Wolves can rarely tell the difference between a Dog and a Sheep since they are almost always located in close proximity (though a Dog always seems to recognize other Dogs), indeed most times they reek of sheep. Wolves commonly mistake dogs as really tough sheep.

This bothers some dogs so much that begin to do things like call themselves “Neutral” or “Territorial PK” or “Honor” in order to escape the stigma that being called “Anti” has brought. They seek to distance themselves from being mistaken for the carebear sheep so that they can be recognized as the warriors are rather than the prey they protect.

I have been an Anti since the time I started playing PvP. I cannot explain why I feel the need to help and protect Carebears but I certainly know why I love to fight the RPK, because it makes my adrenaline rush in torrents and the bigger and nastier the RPK the better the high.

Certainly the line gets fuzzy at times with different game dynamics, but anyone who has read this will almost certainly know what group they belong in.

Which one are you?
Posted By: Grif Re: Which animal are you? - 01/28/06 04:07 AM
aye im a dog haha im sure all the womem are gona love to see me say that haha.
Posted By: Valentein Re: Which animal are you? - 01/28/06 04:37 AM
I'm a Jackalope.
Posted By: Grif Re: Which animal are you? - 01/28/06 04:42 AM
lol i herd val was a pimp....
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Which animal are you? - 01/29/06 10:13 PM
Warg.

All the way.

I've never understood the mentality of sheep. They're Obviously near the bottom of the food chain.
Posted By: chaulootz Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 01:32 AM
JABBERWOCKY
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 01:37 AM
I posted on that thread, but dog.
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 01:38 AM
Also Crim, your animal is nerd :P

I noticed wtf a warg was after I left the thread. I was just like "warg? What the hell? That's not one of the options." Then I thought back to my days of the LoTR readings and got it :P
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 05:21 AM
WTF is this guy and since when do I ever select from a generic list of options?
Posted By: Heidi Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 03:38 PM
I'm a wolf in sheeps clothing
Posted By: Ken_Kamillion Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 05:12 PM
They forgot one anaconda is what i am. =)
Posted By: ltima Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 06:08 PM
jabawalkie
Posted By: Bishop Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 09:35 PM
Wolf Dog. Oh and i've always wanted to be a crafter to : )
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 11:25 PM
yeah... ltima is a bigger cheater than crim :P
Posted By: Grif Re: Which animal are you? - 01/30/06 11:44 PM
lol well if thats the case then im a boobie monster lol :P
Posted By: syev Re: Which animal are you? - 02/17/06 11:53 PM
stray wolf
Posted By: Grif Re: Which animal are you? - 02/18/06 03:52 AM
lol ilove that clip haha its funny lol
Posted By: Arcain Re: Which animal are you? - 02/20/06 05:29 AM
im chewbaca
Posted By: Haraa Re: Which animal are you? - 02/20/06 10:51 AM
im Mr. T
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Which animal are you? - 02/20/09 02:29 AM
I say begone devil and be resurrected from the ashes of forum obscurity.

It's 3 plus years from OP.

Where are the sheep, cause the dog's are ready to play.

Posted By: Crimthan Re: Which animal are you? - 02/20/09 03:09 AM
Bah, there should be 4 categories or more. Sheep, Dogs, Wolves, Hyenas...

Wolves are more noble than what is displayed in that description.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Which animal are you? - 02/20/09 03:26 AM
I run the SPCA
Posted By: Tuskil Re: Which animal are you? - 02/20/09 02:13 PM
I'm a dire wolf.
Posted By: Romeo_Montague Re: Which animal are you? - 02/20/09 02:46 PM
Quote:

I'm a wolf in sheeps clothing

Haha! Now isn't that the truth!
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Which animal are you? - 02/20/09 04:45 PM
Quote:

I'm a dire wolf.

Aren't Dire Wolves and Wargs closely related?
Posted By: Tuskil Re: Which animal are you? - 02/20/09 10:51 PM
Wargs are malicious and evil creatures according to the fantasy literature written using them in their bestiary.
Dire wolves were just animals trying to get by during the ice age with fossils found all over North America

'The dire wolf, a fierce and powerful alpha predator in the savage ice age, was larger and more powerful than any modern-day wolf. Why did it suddenly perish while the smaller, weaker gray wolf survived?'

Ref- National Geographic Society--nationalgeographic.com
image courtesy of www.fossil-treasures-of-florida.com
Posted By: Romeo_Montague Re: Which animal are you? - 02/21/09 07:38 AM
Holy moly, how old was this thread!
© The KGB Oracle