The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Vydor My Other Life... - 12/25/05 05:50 PM
Just figured I would give you all a glimpse in what I am beyond buring and bashing pixels. I tool this photo a few days ago. Its of the The Great Orin Nebula and surrounding region. This was taken with the Canon Digital Rebel aka 300D.

The Orion nebula is a star nursery, baby stars are being created there as we speak (takes a while, so if you dig this thread up in a few months/years, that will still be true LOL).

The blue nebula that is on the left in the image is called "The Running Man" , the bright somewhat crab shaped one on the right is "The Great Orion Nebula".

If you would like ot see this object, and you have a telescope (or good binoculars) you can fairly easily find this one, assuming you know where to find the constellation Orion in the night sky. If you look along his belt, you will see three stars that make up his sword just a bit below his belt, and angled like a sword would be on ones belt. Once you find that, just point your telescope/binoculars to the center star of that belt, and you should be able to see this. Not with anywhere near as much detail and color, in fact it typically looks greenish to the human eye. This is because your eye is most sensitive to the color green.

So now you know all that heres the image:

(for a larger verion go to http://www.vydor.net/gallery/m42/m42_region_2?full=1 )
Posted By: Seaelf Re: My Other Life... - 12/25/05 06:50 PM
wow coolness Vydor thanks for the neat RL stars, I thought it was eve online at first, haha. neat stuff though the RL stuff that makes us want to play videogames !!
Posted By: Vydor Re: My Other Life... - 12/25/05 08:10 PM
heh thatnks Seaelf, might want to look again, I accidently posted an upside/backwards one, so I just fixed it. heheh ops
Posted By: JetStar Re: My Other Life... - 12/25/05 08:34 PM
I have a real powerful telescope here. Where can I find it in the night sky from Washington State?
Posted By: Vydor Re: My Other Life... - 12/25/05 08:58 PM
Quote:

I have a real powerful telescope here. Where can I find it in the night sky from Washington State?

Hmm do you know what the constellation Orion in the night sky is? Its gotta be one of the most famous ones, you can see it from pretty much any skies in the winter assuming you have a clear view. Its currently rising in the SE early in evening and is up all night. If you look along his belt, you will see three stars that make up his sword just a bit below his belt, and angled like a sword would be on ones belt. Once you find that, just point your telescope/binoculars to the center star of that belt, and you should be able to see this. Not with anywhere near as much detail and color, in fact it typically looks greenish to the human eye. This is because your eye is most sensitive to the color green.

Heres some info on the consitaltion...
http://www.seds.org/Maps/Stars_en/Fig/orion.html
with a black and white image of it.
Posted By: Valentein Re: My Other Life... - 12/25/05 10:18 PM
Nice pic.
Posted By: Garal Re: My Other Life... - 12/26/05 05:47 AM
Yes very nice pic.. very pretty. It's scary to think about how big the universe is.. mind boggling.
Posted By: Heidi Re: My Other Life... - 12/27/05 07:33 AM
Beautiful pic Vy!
© The KGB Oracle