The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Slinger Old Laptop RAM help, please? - 06/07/07 10:45 PM
So I have a Compaq Presario 1700CL that had 2 128mb sticks of PC100U-322-620 RAM in it, and one stick burnt out. The machine was running Linux (Xubuntu 7.04) really beautifully until half of it's memory had to be removed. It still boots up and does it's job, but I'd really like to replace the stick that burnt out. The only thing I see online that is close to what was in the computer, but isn't identical, is a whole bunch of PC100-322-620 (note there is no 'U' after 'PC100'). Does anyone know if PC100 RAM will work in my machine the same way the PC100U RAM works? And if so, where is the best place to find cheap, outdated RAM?
Posted By: Vydor Re: Old Laptop RAM help, please? - 06/07/07 11:26 PM
try
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario+1701CL
Posted By: Valentein Re: Old Laptop RAM help, please? - 06/08/07 04:21 AM
I'm thinking about loading up that Ubuntu on a machine. I heard lots of good things about it. I got used to working with unix/linux this past quarter doing some network programming I'd like to be able to run some stuff locally as opposed to having to SSH into the campus lab all the time.
Posted By: Slinger Re: Old Laptop RAM help, please? - 06/08/07 08:31 AM
Oh, I REALLY recommend Ubuntu, it's soooooooo nice. It uses the Gnome GUI, so it basically gives you the ease of Windows (in terms of navigation) and the power of Linux, it's SUPER nice!
Posted By: syev Re: Old Laptop RAM help, please? - 06/08/07 02:10 PM
I second that sling!
© The KGB Oracle