The KGB Oracle
Posted By: StValentine P&P getting ready - 03/23/11 03:35 AM
Anyone interested in maybe playing P&P once or twice a week please let myself, Itcinike, or Phaq know so we can get it all set up. Ictinike has purchased a license on a virtual tabletop where we can host the game and share maps an info. With vent it'll be just like all us of setting in the same room. Come along it's gonna be a great time.

RSVP PLEASE
Posted By: Phaq Death Re: P&P getting ready - 03/23/11 04:00 AM
I as well will buy the server program if he gets buisy im just a noob so once i learn more I will be willing to help with the server
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 03/23/11 03:03 PM
Some other information..

Eventually we'll take this thread to a private sub-forum so I can release information about the game, during the game, etc without the ability of the entire world's eyes being upon us.

Since I'll have to list particular info such as IP, names, etc I feel it better being under a private forum.

As well there will be some upcoming guidelines for the game and future games. "House Rules" as you will where some things I'll define, from a GM aspect, that I'll expect from the players to keep the game going and remaining fun. Those I'll bullet out at a time coming up.

At this time I'm working with this purchased Virtual Table software and building some modules to run people through. If there is enough interest I'll run several groups through and we'll come up with a schedule of days/times for the group and/or groups that wish to join in on the (I'm hoping) fun of the original PnP style games that ALL the latter games we've played to-date as well will continue to play came from.

Cheers and more info soon!

~Ictinike
Posted By: Drakiis Re: P&P getting ready - 03/24/11 06:22 AM
Depending on who is playing and whether they are on fb or not i know many people who use fb to support their online role playing by either using the mass contact list to send private messages and to create private invite only group pages which is easy to do instead of trying to find free forums, all you do is create the page set it to private invite only give the page a title and invite the people you want using fb as a forum is familiar to ppl
Posted By: Drakiis Re: P&P getting ready - 03/24/11 06:33 AM
A lot of ppl dont speak itchy-ese so i'll break it down a gm has a lot of responsibility to do the needed preperation to actually craft the scenarios or campaigns, even when using prexsiting modules a gm will need to know them front to back and may want to make alterations what itchy is probably going to do is link many modules together to form a rough campaign which will give him a good foundation to build on once the modules are done and the players start going off on their its a good plan as long as the grp can stay focused for each module but be ready to free style if they don’t
Posted By: Donkleaps Re: P&P getting ready - 03/24/11 03:46 PM
Whats the game? I'm in if it's 3.5 or WH old world or 40k.
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 03/24/11 04:11 PM
4e to start but my purchased product supports multiple rulesets I would just have to devise the campaign against the ruleset and do a *bunch* of work.

I've probably already put in over 60 hours already scraping WoTC data to use and that is just 4e right now.

So far I have scrapped and brought into this tool the:
Players Handbook
Players Handbook 2
Adventurer's Vault
Adventurer's Vault 2
Monster Manual
Monster Manual 2
Monster Manual 3
Monster Vault

Not that 3.5 isn't a consideration.. Just massive work on my end to setup my software to host, which then, allows me to build a campaign, adventurer module, etc after.

Donk, come join us for 4e. I know there are many hard-core 2,3.5 guys out there and I started on 1 and 2 edition. 4e does feel different but so would a new mercedes from a yugo, you just have to get the feel and use to the change smile

If your interested I can share some ideas, the software and how it works with you in a session w/ or w/o other people who want to see this software, the work I've done thusfar and maybe roll up a character to play. Let me know!

Working with Valentine and Phaq now to get this all setup so I have the ability to host multiple games without having to re-learn and re-do all the background data so it's going to take me another week or so to get all this down before actually playing.

Would love to have ya Donk-a-Donk smile
Posted By: Tasorin Re: P&P getting ready - 03/24/11 07:51 PM
Anything after AD&D is garbage. WotWC can suck my 8in around schlong.

Ok, now that we have that out of the way, let me say I would support a campaign and play once or twice a week. Just be forewarned, I don't fuck around when it comes to D&D or WH40K.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: P&P getting ready - 03/24/11 08:24 PM
That makes two of us i take great pains to play to the hilt or deliver a quality campaign, i have been known for killing off party members if they oppose my characters beliefs or go contray to the goals of the grp
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 03/24/11 09:57 PM
Now don't go scaring the piss outta me day one wink

It's been awhile, I believe, for most of us (Drakiis excluded) because I know he's played in the last 4-6 years. The rest of us who wanted to start this haven't smile

I'll be DM'ing using the `Virtual Tabletop` software Fantasy Grounds 2 which allows me to build modules of adventures, campaigns, and all the goodies that goes into making a good PnP game. I'm working on those now by scraping WoTC site and use of their D&D Insider account. For now things are progressing well and Valentine are working through the software so we can understand it and use it to it's fullest potential.

That being said, again, it's been awhile since we all played like this and *cough* used our imaginations. Sure Tas uses his each night he believes "WotWC can suck my 8in around schlong." but I digress.. We'll get there and I would love for this ride to include as many as wish to participate.

In doing so it does take time and right now I'm converting over some of the existing 4E modules/adventures into the software and learning how to run them locally. Once I have a few converted over we'll open a campaign for 4-5 players per session and run them through a few "delves" before opening the bigger campaign. This will allow those unfamiliar with the software, D&D in particular as well just getting used to the idea of Pen and Paper style games. We'll roll up characters, create a character sheet on my software (which persists from session to session) and start the mini adventures soon. Most will be trial and error so no hard-core bitching can happen, for it's meant to be enjoyable and fun.

Once the players have established a good rapport with the software, how things will work, etc, we'll open up the bigger campaign that I believe has 3-4 small campaigns with no less than 6-9 adventures per mini. That's a bunch of content I have to build up and have no problem doing as long as people respect what has to be done laugh

Within the next week "or so" I'll have some pre-made mini adventures to dive right into for everyone to join and experiment with. Those that continue and remain we'll begin the bigger campaign have it be 4-5 players or two groups of 4-5; whomever wishes.

I figure I can do maybe 2 nights a week right now for an hour or two each. If we have 2 groups of 4-5 players then 1 night will be used for each group. If we only have 1 group, that group will go both nights if agreeable to the players.

Whew, OK.. enough for now and I'm back to developing content.

Post your inquiries, questions, comments (sure, whatever you think is applicable) and we'll post back. Anyone wishing to check out the software can again go to www.fantasygrounds.com and check it out. I purchased the $150 "Ultimate" version so I can DM for anyone using a licensed copy -or- just download and install as unregistered. I did this so there is no cost to you, for now.

Cheers!
Posted By: StValentine Re: P&P getting ready - 03/24/11 10:48 PM
Well put Ictinike. He has put an INCREDIBLE amount of time and resources into this but, I can tell you from working with him it's been a labor of love. We have spent several nights till 4 or 5 in the morning woring out the bugs (and have probably several more before were ready). That being said, I firmly believe it's gonna be an awesome experience that all you hardcore PnP people will truelly love. I also think it will provide a unique opportunity for people who have never played to get in and be drawn into the story and see what is we old school players always go on and on about. So, get your imagination fired up and ready to go.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 12:05 AM
So what I am hearing is, Itchy is owed a happy ending. I will have Drakiis Fed-Ex you his custom knee pads Valentine so you can service Itchy properly.

Why don't we just use the DDO forum going forward
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 12:15 AM
Yea I'm thinkin we need a forum, new or existing (new being something outside of KGB) like the DDO forums.

Tas I would like to talk to you sometime soon (just got home from one of my boy's school event) about some Vent setup possibly you could help with.

If anyone would be interested in seeing the software I hope to be on vent tonight sometime, Old School KGB, and we've been hanging out in the Ana lounge at the bottom.

~Cheers
Posted By: Phaq Death Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 01:42 AM
cool I'll be on tonight I am downloading the full version right now trac said that I needed that one, not the demo smile
Posted By: Drakiis Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 03:50 AM

I hope Itchy drops this sob into a inescapable trap of acid after he has suffered sodomy at the hands of a gay stone giant, once he's been passed around by that stone giant clan and reduced to a crying cum bucket he'll be ready for the trap

Originally Posted By: Tasorin
So what I am hearing is, Itchy is owed a happy ending. I will have Drakiis Fed-Ex you his custom knee pads Valentine so you can service Itchy properly.

Why don't we just use the DDO forum going forward
Posted By: whoflungpoo Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 03:51 AM
Go Old school D&D and I am in, Run B1 In search of the Unknown or B2 The Keep on the Border lands smile
Posted By: Drakiis Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 03:56 AM
Thac0 is outdated and out of print, its also what made 1-2nd edition too hard for some to grasp i do much prefer first edition too but the learning curve is steep for newer ppl
Posted By: Phaq Death Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 07:54 AM
I belive we are just starting with the e4 to get use to the table top. It comes with alot of maps, books, ect.. 4 it. all the work that has beed put into it is quite amazing. we will be speaking more of this in the secure dnd fourms
Posted By: Donkleaps Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 09:40 AM
Any chance you guys can throw up a "Getting Set Up" post so we know what to do to prepare. I'm very interested to see this software.
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 11:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Donkleaps
Any chance you guys can throw up a "Getting Set Up" post so we know what to do to prepare. I'm very interested to see this software.

Yep Donk talked to you this morning..

I know your getting the software and all but if you want to download the full version, install Unregistered, you'll be able to connect to me and play however you can really run it outright.

If you want to download the Demo version you can host a game yourself and check out the content they give you but you can't modify it but at least you can see how it works.

Also there is a great set of tutorials for players and GM's that are in video's that really do well. Working 1/2 day today so I'll get a Getting Started post up that has the info for the software and some things we've found out. Naturally we'll all have to learn the software and it's features but last night Tas, Valentine and Phaq played a simple encounter with some goblins and at first it was rough but at the end it got to be pretty fluid less me taking notes about questions and rules (which I'm boneing up as I can smile )
Posted By: Tasorin Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 05:02 PM
I got turned into Hulking Zombie toe jam, it was great.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 06:11 PM
So, does the software have all the rules and books built in or do we need to have books in front of us?
Posted By: Phaq Death Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 06:27 PM
It does have some built in, but not all. It isn't every thing but there is a quick users guide of the game on there web site at http://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/

Ictinike as well has the full books I think he is working on makeing cheat sheets for most of it, I know I am trying to help a bit with that. I am not sure if he wants to post all the full books or if he wants to post the cheat sheets that we are working on for something a bit more simple. I will be sure to ask
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 07:19 PM
Well Phaq did a pretty good job but it's a bit of both, lol.

The license does NOT come with the books. I had to subscribe to the WoTC (now named CockasaurasRex) and use a community tool to "scrape" the books from the insider account.

Once I have the raw data I can parse it and build the "modules" that the software uses. This allows us to drag and drop equipment, feats, spells, powers, anything into your character sheets, etc.

Now add in volumes like Monster Manual 1, 2 and 3 as well the additional supplement books and I have everything I need, in reference fashion, that I can also drag and drop and create adventures. It's all linked within the software and the combat is more automatic than not. You still roll dice but the dice are in the game as 3d renderings of real dice you pick up, shake and throw smile

So again, a little bit of each but the software comes licensed with 4E, 3.5 and other rule sets such as Savage World, and others. You can build your own rule set as well so if we wanted and someone hadn't made one we could play Warhammer or even Darkfall if we came up with a rule set for the game and applied the concept of the online game to pen and paper smile

Check out the tutorials and videos if your interested as the guy there did a great job showing the abilities of the software but by no means all of it..
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 07:24 PM
Here is a brief screen shot of of my DM client and the work done toady. Several encounters, the modules I have built and linked as well the Library search and a Beholder creature card:

Posted By: Kaotic Re: P&P getting ready - 03/25/11 10:51 PM
Neato. I don't know if I will have time but Brutal might look into playing with you guys. He currently runs a game on Saturdays so he's probably interested in getting to play instead of run.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: P&P getting ready - 03/26/11 01:54 AM
Seriously? A Brutal campaign would be interesting to play in, maybe some day, what system does he run?
Posted By: Phaq Death Re: P&P getting ready - 03/26/11 02:24 AM
mad oops whistle
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 03/26/11 02:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Phaq Death
mad

Whats up?
Posted By: Phaq Death Re: P&P getting ready - 03/26/11 02:28 AM
That's just a post I didn't mean 2 post lol I'm on the road on forms on my phone ill be online about 1am EST
Posted By: Kaotic Re: P&P getting ready - 03/26/11 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Drakiis
Seriously? A Brutal campaign would be interesting to play in, maybe some day, what system does he run?

3.5 mixed with house rules
Posted By: Brutal Re: P&P getting ready - 03/27/11 04:27 PM
I would be interested in this if we can play on Friday (anytime) or Sunday (ending by 2PM). I would, like Donk, prefer to play 3.5; hell I'd rather play 2nd ed than 4e but if we have to start out with 4e thats ok.

To clarify, I actually run a pathfinder game. If anyone is interested in the pathfinder ruleset, let me know. It's basically d&d 3.75
Posted By: Drakiis Re: P&P getting ready - 03/27/11 05:52 PM
Pathfinder is a solid ruleset using the best of the 3.X editions, i really like where that setting took the open license
Posted By: Thomas Re: P&P getting ready - 03/28/11 09:01 AM
I am intersted in playing... what dates have you guys decided and time? Can I still get in?

Anyways please let me know in Vent (KGB-vent) or in Rift game.
Posted By: Balrick Re: P&P getting ready - 04/17/11 04:37 AM
I am interested in playing p&p with you guys. I downloaded an unregistered copy of the game and can't access any of the game (because I didn't buy it) so I am assuming that if u say yes I would be given the host address so I can connect with the grp on friday's.
is this correct?
ps. I would go along with the groups goals and your character's belief's drakiis smile
Posted By: Drakiis Re: P&P getting ready - 04/17/11 04:46 AM
Well i don't run or play the game little brother, that's Itchys call he has a rather sizable grp atm but I'm sure if he can handle it he'll let you know, at the very least as long as your quiet you could always listen in on it in vent, as far as the client goes i do belive you are correct, pm Itchy or hassle him in vent
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 04/17/11 05:15 AM
Yea .. Right now it's a sizable group of 7 which is quite a bit when it rolls around to what characters want to do and combat. Literally first starting out a round of combat (7 players and maybe 5-6 creatures) took an hour. Big learning curve but we are cruising now.

What I may end up doing is running some One Shot adventures mid-week if I can get the players and content as well I may decide to run a totally different rules and game called Savage Worlds.

It's light, effective and very fast. I've got most of what I need and trying to find the time to get into a demo or quick game of Savage Worlds myself so I can see how things work.

If this proves to be a good thing I may decide to run a small set of adventures in various genre's such as Sci-Fi, Horror, Pulp or even more fantasy. With this rule set it's pretty much open ended and the FantasyGrounds2 software supports it pretty much ground up.

Again, trying to keep ahead of the 7 for the 4e campaign we started 3 weeks ago but if I decide to run a out of the blue a one shot adventure in D&D or something new in Savage Worlds I'll let everyone know. It's great fun both for myself and the players and we all are learning more and more each week about each other, the software and getting into online Pen and paper games smile

Cheers!
Posted By: Ictinike Re: P&P getting ready - 04/17/11 05:18 AM
Oh and I've been working on some simple forums for these types of games.. To hold content, handouts, etc. Once I have some semblance of control over that I may redirect peeps to that quick and easy forums to keep the KGB forums more focused.

Not that we *cant* do this here but I don't want to bother others or Jet with this if he doesn't have to.

Site is: http://ictinike.freeforums.org/portal.php
Posted By: Phaq Death Re: P&P getting ready - 04/17/11 07:06 AM
I wanna play everything!! lol but I will step aside 4 others if I have 2, although, I do already know the software wink hee hee

I can't Belive you do so much for US to game.
I just hope that maby one day I might be able to put together adventures an games, as you have. I am still a noob when it comes to the "Table Top" so I am learning. Every week I think I learn more.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: P&P getting ready - 04/18/11 03:12 AM
Link bump
© The KGB Oracle