The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Stubs Going to School - 03/17/11 03:05 AM
I decided to go back to school online. I'm going to be getting a bachelor's degree in network management. That plus work isnt gonna leave much time to game, but it will defenitly be worth it in the long run.
Posted By: Ictinike Re: Going to School - 03/17/11 04:39 AM
Agreed Stubs!

Grats to you and going out of your comfort zone and expanding your horizons.. I applaud ya mate!
Posted By: Phaq Death Re: Going to School - 03/17/11 08:17 AM
skool is kool! smile
Posted By: StValentine Re: Going to School - 03/17/11 02:31 PM
Your not alone I'll be starting back myself this fall. B.S. in history and minor in secondary education
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Going to School - 03/17/11 09:54 PM
Awesome brother! There are a bunch of us KGB back in school. Woe unto the world when we all graduate with even more knowledge than we have now laugh

Originally Posted By: Pinky
What are we doing tonight Brain?

Originally Posted By: The Brain
The same thing we do every night Pinky, plan to take over the WORLD!!!
Posted By: JetStar Re: Going to School - 03/17/11 11:00 PM
Great choice brother.
Posted By: Ictinike Re: Going to School - 03/17/11 11:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
Awesome brother! There are a bunch of us KGB back in school. Woe unto the world when we all graduate with even more knowledge than we have now laugh

Originally Posted By: Pinky
What are we doing tonight Brain?

Originally Posted By: The Brain
The same thing we do every night Pinky, plan to take over the WORLD!!!

Now, now Kaotic you know as well as I do the only thing that schooling, in many cases, gets your proverbial foot in the door. I don't have a college degree, I never finished, and I'm doing fine but I know people who have double masters and are fucking dumb as piss.. about.. most everything..

School doesn't make you smart, it shows you how you can be smart, and for the right amount of cash they'll give you a nice shiny piece of paper that states this wink
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Going to School - 03/18/11 10:29 PM
I agree with you completely and that's why I used the word "knowledge" instead of "smart" wink Most of what I'm learning is about how to keep my mouth shut, not what they are actually trying to teach.

But for some things, like petroleum engineering, you sort of have to have the piece of paper laugh
Posted By: Ictinike Re: Going to School - 03/19/11 02:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
I agree with you completely and that's why I used the word "knowledge" instead of "smart" wink Most of what I'm learning is about how to keep my mouth shut, not what they are actually trying to teach.

But for some things, like petroleum engineering, you sort of have to have the piece of paper laugh

LOL laugh Touche
Posted By: Stubs Re: Going to School - 03/19/11 02:25 AM
Thanks guys, it took me awhile to get myself to do this. If I run into any trouble with some of the computer related courses, you'll probably see a post about it haha.
Posted By: Stubs Re: Going to School - 05/05/11 01:41 AM
UPDATE

They go by TERM at Westwood and its pretty cool since it makes it seem like time flys. So far it's been a good experience, although it does take alot of will power to boot up school and not Rift or Dragon Age when i get home from work.

I'm considering lowering my courseload a bit, since working full time and school full time leaves me with a few hours to sleep and maybe a few to watch tv or play a game. Add a prooject or god forbid two at once and i dont have time to breathe.

How're yall doin?
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Going to School - 05/05/11 02:07 AM
6 years of more then full time credits while working 3/4 time. Two degrees later, and every shitty poor student day was worth every bit of it.

Stay the course, take as many credits as you can handle and still get decent grades.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Going to School - 05/05/11 03:10 AM
Finals this week and next stubby. All As here, how about you?
Posted By: JetStar Re: Going to School - 05/05/11 11:44 PM
I never done had no book learnin.
Posted By: Longshanks Re: Going to School - 05/06/11 12:23 AM
Go get those credentials ... like Ictinike, I did just fine w/o ... but that is not the norm these days.

Us old timers had the edge of growing with the technology & can slap 10\15\20+ years of XP on a resume.

Today you don't get the benefit of starting out with a TRaSh80, a 300 baud handset modem & an alt2600 rag in hand.

Actually .. the alt2600 mag is still around ... grab one from a Barnes & Noble brick and mortar, pay cash ... thank me later.
Posted By: Stubs Re: Going to School - 05/16/11 05:18 AM
Yeah finals and stuff was this week, the tests are easy online. Its usually all multiple choice so finals were a gimme just like midterms. Its the projects that get me, i put them off and then i scramble. I have a project thats been getting the better of me for most of the week but im running short on time and i cant seem to wring all the info i need from my textbook. I posted the whole assignment sheet for the project im working on. Some of it I get, like creating the folder directory, installing windows and creating and editing the user accounts and password lengths. I'm having trouble with the network stuff like setting up the IP addresses. Any help on the how of it would be appreciated.

Project Overview
The ABC Hospital is upgrading their version of Windows (specific version details will be provided by your instructor). As part of the upgrade, 100 new computers will be purchased. Your task is to prepare a standard installation for these systems. You will create a base system with specific users and groups, folder structure, network address, printers, and group policies.

When you design your system, take into account the following considerations.

1.You will perform the initial installation. In the field, Junior IT staff and interns will perform the rest of the installations. As a result, you need to thoroughly document and explain the required procedure.
2.The systems will use static IP addresses. For this project, you will be given the IP address. In the field, it will be necessary for the staff to assign each IP address as the machine is configured.
The systems need to have the following configuration:

1.One user, ITStaff, with local administrator privileges.
2.Password complexity should be set to a minimum of 8 characters and meet complexity requirements.
3.A second user, HospitalStaff, with Power user privileges and the same password complexity.
4.The computers will be set to static IP addresses. For the field test, use the specifications below:
IP Address: 192.168.2.153
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.1
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS Server: 192.168.2.1
5.Configure a network printer on TCPIP port 192.168.2.250 with a printer name of Admissions Printer
6.Configure a local printer that is shared as Admissions Color InkJet.
7.Create the folder structure shown below.
The hospital needs to display a HIPPA warning reminding employees of patient confidentiality requirements to all employees when they log on.

Several teams need access to local printers which will be shared among the group. All users will need to access domain printers.

Finally, prepare a maintenance plan to install Windows updates.

Deliverables
I. Installation presentation
Starting from a clean system, you will install Windows. You will document the steps of your installation in a Word document using screen captures and text to sequentially document your procedure. Submit the Word document as evidence of your successful installation.

II. Training Documentation
After completing the installation, you will document the following requirements in a Word document using screen captures and text to sequentially document your procedure. Submit the Word document as evidence of your successful configurations.

1.The folder structure required and how to create it.
2.How to add a new user with the specified permissions.
3.How to add the user to the local administrator group.
4.How to assign the specified password length.
5.How to configure a PC with the necessary static IP address.
6.How to set up a network printer.
7.How to set up a local printer.
8.How to examine machine and network performance.
9.How to examine current processes and terminate one.
Posted By: Ictinike Re: Going to School - 05/16/11 05:43 AM
What version of Windows?

I have Windows from Windows 2000 up to the latest Windows 7. Give me what you want to see it in, since things changed from XP to Vista/Win7 and I can take screenshots from any of it.

Also, when needed by? It's not hard for me as I've done everything in that guide a thousand times over and while it wouldn't take someone much time, taking the images and laying it out so you get the flow may.

Give me some idea Stubs and I'll help ya no issue.
Posted By: Ictinike Re: Going to School - 05/16/11 06:01 AM
Windows 7 Network Configuration:

Images below show the steps..
  • Go to Windows Start Menu
  • Go to `Control Panel`
  • Go to `Network and Sharing Center`
  • Go to `Change Adapter Settings` (left menu)
  • Highlight Network Adapter (Network Card)
  • Right Click NIC, Choose `Properties`
  • Scroll down to `Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)`
  • Highlight `Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)`
  • Click `Properties` button
  • Choose `Use the following IP address`
  • Enter appropriate IP Settings including: Address, Netmask and Gateway
  • Choose `Use the following DNS server addresses`
  • Enter appropriate DNS settings into `Preferred DNS server`
  • Hit OK Button
  • Hit OK Button
  • Close remaining Windows

Your now setup for a Static IP w/ defined Netmask, Gateway and DNS server smile

Start Menu, Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center:

Change Adapter Settings:

Highlight Network Adapter, Choose Properties:

Network Adapter settings, Scroll to find TCP/IPv4:

Default TCP/IPv4 Settings:

Change Settings To What You Want:

Posted By: Ictinike Re: Going to School - 05/16/11 06:23 AM
Windows 7 Network Printer Install:

Images below show the steps..
  • Go to Windows Start Menu
  • Go to `Devices and Printers`
  • Click `Add printer` button (top left)
  • Choose `Add a local printer`
  • Select `Create a new port`
  • Drop down list, select `Standard TCP/IP Port`
  • Enter appropriate IP Address in `Host or IP Address` box
  • (Depending on what style, type check or uncheck `Query the printer..` option (I uncheck for my purposes)
  • Select Printer driver (Manufacturer, then Model)
  • Give printer a name
  • (Printer Installs..)
  • Select `Share this printer..`
  • Fill in shared printer details
  • Success (test options if you wish)

Enjoy your new IP Printer shared under the name you've chosen smile

Start Menu, Devices and Printers:

Add Printer:

Local or Network Printer:

Choose Standard TCP/IP Port:

Enter IP Address w/ Printer Details:

Choose Printer Driver:

Name Printer:

Installing:

Share Printer:

Complete! smile

Posted By: Stubs Re: Going to School - 05/16/11 11:54 AM
Awesome. Thanks a million, this was starting to bug me. Can't wait till I can get outta work and off my phone and onto my comp I i can finish the project and get some sleep.

Sorry I didn't even think to mention the OS. Its Vista Business on VMWARE.
Posted By: Stubs Re: Going to School - 05/16/11 12:15 PM
Damn posting by cell is annoying sometimes. Its due by yesterday but I got it extended to today at midnight mountain time so two am my time.

I'm a world class procrastinator, luckily I have an understanding professor and other classmates that needed more time.
Posted By: Stubs Re: Going to School - 05/20/11 03:45 PM
Got my grade for the project. I got a B on the project which brought me up to a B for the class. Thanks for the help I wouldn't have been able to get the B without it.
Posted By: Ictinike Re: Going to School - 05/20/11 04:16 PM
Rock on Stubby! smile
Posted By: Stubs Re: Going to School - 06/02/11 02:01 PM
2nd term is on! I got a refresher algebra course and a Linux course. Linux will be interesting. I've never used anything but windows before.
© The KGB Oracle