The KGB Oracle
http://www.womengamers.com/interviews/darkfall.php

First time in awhile that they've actually released some info about the game. No screenshots just RL pics of their office and bits of info about the game mechanics. I felt it was a decent read.

Able to set way points on maps, that was a feature that would have been nice in Shadowbane. And this game actually takes into account where you're standing vs your enemy. They give the example that if you jump from a rock swinging down your battle axe onto an enemy's head it will do more dmg then say just standing on even ground and swinging the axe.

I hope this doesn't mean hopping in place while fighting becomes a cheap trick for increasing your swing damage. One of the screen shots people thought they saw the person jumping while they fought; that could be the current trend in beta now, I hope during testing they fix that.
I would think that if you were to hit a person in mid leap, it should do additional damage, because while you are in the air, you are unable to dodge or otherwise avoid an attack.

It's like in basketball, if you can fake a defender into jumping prematurely, you can drive past him while he's off his feet because until he hits the ground, he cannot react to what you are doing.

If you can get a leaping crushing blow against someone unobserved, then maybe you should do more damage, but otherwise, it ought be the fastest way possible to get yourself impaled on the end of some other guys blade.
ehhe, on the DF forums a number of guys are debating just that topic; getting deep into their physics knowledge from back in college. Basically they agree with you, bunny hopping wouldn't help and it would be a flaw in the game's mechanics if it did increase your dmg.
of course, jumping could simply drain stamina. . .
of course it would be a woman's website where you'd find an article that is actually insightful about a developing game.
i see an over complicated combat system and alot of exploits in the works... and yet if it comes out before AoC ill end up playing it until it does
Seems reasonable that dropping from above or jumping down on someone could cause more damage. However, if you are attacked while you are IN the air, it would seem reasonable that the "leaping" or dropping person could also stand to loose more than he/she gains on the attack bonus.

I would think that being hit mid-air could also result in falling "flat" on your face (similar to rolling a 1 in D&D) on the attack.

Hmm, if you fell on a person wielding a pole arm that planted it on the ground in response... that could be quite humorous! Attacker on a skewer?!
© The KGB Oracle