The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Helemoto Update 9-14 - 09/16/07 03:46 AM
http://df.warcry.com/news/view/76943-Developer-Journal-14-Progress-Report
Posted By: Raekwon Re: Update 9-14 - 09/16/07 05:05 AM
Only two things I took away from it were:

1) Small villages "like mini-cities" will be located near resource points that we can control.

2) A Q&A will be coming up and beta applications are getting posted again at some point in the future.

The first comment stuck out because prior to that the general understanding on the DF forum was that a guild took control of a guild stone and then had control of an entire predetermined territory to include the resource points in it. And that we could build anywhere we wanted inside the territory making multiple cities within our lands if we so wished (perhaps a mini-city for every sub guild)

But if they're making NPC towns by each resource point then that to me means we can't build our own there. So now it seems you take a clan stone over and you get to build a capitol city there by it - beyond that you can only build additional structures if they're within the capitol city or you take over the mini-cities by each resource point in your lands. Perhaps we can plan to give each sub-guild a resource point mini-city as a way to keep them happy.

The other points about the Q&A and beta apps to me just shows that they are no where near the start of beta because they're actually planning other things. They're not saying "beta any day now." it's... two or three weeks from now will be another Progress report like this one maybe with pics. Two or three weeks after that probably a Q&A session. Two or three weeks after that we might post beta applications again.

They certainly don't plan to release ahead of Age of Conan. They either plan to release at the same time or more likely a few months after to take advantage of player disinterest in a MMO that always occurs after roughly 4 months.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Update 9-14 - 09/16/07 02:50 PM
Quote:

Perhaps we can plan to give each sub-guild a resource point mini-city as a way to keep them happy.

To some degree, yes. Just don't outsource ALL resources to subguilds or the main guild won't have any independent power or resources to survive in case of betrayal.
Posted By: Raekwon Re: Update 9-14 - 09/16/07 03:37 PM
Allowing for betrayal is what epic stories are made of... think of all the fun we'll have fighting back when it happens.
Posted By: Lenny Re: Update 9-14 - 09/16/07 04:03 PM
lol, i think it is funny that we will be the top guild and having sub guilds. Where have we made any impact in the last few years to think we would be able to do this?
Posted By: Garal Re: Update 9-14 - 09/16/07 04:31 PM
Quote:

lol, i think it is funny that we will be the top guild and having sub guilds. Where have we made any impact in the last few years to think we would be able to do this?

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!! Well there really haven't been any games that have allowed us to do this in the last few years. Although every time we've go back to Shadowbane with only a small percentage of our total membership we've made at least made a little splash.
Posted By: Derid Re: Update 9-14 - 09/16/07 05:24 PM

Lots of interesting speculatiion, but the system may change alot by the time the game goes live.

So who knows.

I know Allies and subs will definatly want to live out of their own area though, though obviously depening only on allies/subs to hold turf for the guild would be extremely foolhardy.
Posted By: Lenny Re: Update 9-14 - 09/17/07 04:50 PM
Quote:

Quote:

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!! Well there really haven't been any games that have allowed us to do this in the last few years. Although every time we've go back to Shadowbane with only a small percentage of our total membership we've made at least made a little splash.

Well, i remember when we were in WOW, we had alliances and we ruined everyone of them. From what I understand Vanguard, we found people like minded as us, and are continuing the relationships. I feel, if we treat our alliances as we did in WOW, we are screwed.
Posted By: Jonus Re: Update 9-14 - 09/17/07 09:11 PM
I wouldnt even call the time in WoW a form of an alliance. The only purpose of that "alliance" was for those stupid PvE raids that game has.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Update 9-14 - 09/17/07 11:46 PM
Exactly. Pointless alliances that went nowhere.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Update 9-14 - 09/18/07 05:52 AM
i would declare war on them in wow if we could of.
Posted By: Slinger Re: Update 9-14 - 09/18/07 04:21 PM
We can't possibly be comparing WoW alliances with anything real, come on!
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/18/07 04:26 PM
We had a great alliance when Sb first came out, we helped redemption build from the flames of their cities that cos left them. The time on treachery the alliances were good. We were just so new to the game and after the extended wait on the game fo shadowbane there just was not a bunch of KGB intrest initially. I only played during SB Treachery and for a short time. I think in our next game if we started out with majority of our player base in it and we've had so much planning we'll be quite a force to be reckoned with. Wow is a stain on KGB history there was alot of mistakes made, but I wouldn't say that we shit on the alliance, just a term I am using, the first alliance we had they weren't the right kind of people and their members were not all that great or mature. I am sure some were wonderful but an alliance to run pve raids doesn't compare to an alliance that will be your comrades and fight for your associations in the game. That is something that this game and others will hopefully have KGB Thriving in.
Posted By: Lenny Re: Update 9-14 - 09/18/07 05:27 PM
Every alliance we had in WOW was terrible. I felt that we (KGB) knew everything and would not listen or even think of having input from others. I don't care if PvE raids were pointless, we still should have given more respect to people we would work with.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Update 9-14 - 09/18/07 08:18 PM
We have a long way to go.

We would have to be at full strength. I imagine we are at maybe 40 to 50 now. We would need to be at 100+ active.

I think we need to keep talking, ramping up, and bring in fringe KGBers that are not real active. if we expect to have a major impact.

Right now I think finding a small area and holding it will be a challenge.

We need to recruit and earn respect, and that takes time.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Update 9-14 - 09/18/07 10:47 PM
If the game is *that* good, and they can be convinced that KGB is the guild for them, I could round up at least 4 RL friends that haven't joined KGB yet. I also know in RL another 3 KGB members that are on the fringe waiting for a good game.
Posted By: Slinger Re: Update 9-14 - 09/19/07 12:17 AM
My 3 house mates and I are pumped for DF, so thats 3 more that'll be on the roster once they're back into the MMO scene.
Posted By: Lenny Re: Update 9-14 - 09/19/07 02:22 AM
I agree with Jet, we need to build. If we could have found a game instead of WOW, we would be ok. In our current status, we would have troubles, especially with the fact of how many enemies we have....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Update 9-14 - 09/19/07 07:15 AM
building takes a game that draws us all in we either gota find a game no matter how basic or wait it out. ill be playing anything that pulls us together just like our vegas trip i cant wait for another one:)
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Update 9-14 - 09/19/07 02:14 PM
Quote:

I agree with Jet, we need to build. If we could have found a game instead of WOW, we would be ok. In our current status, we would have troubles, especially with the fact of how many enemies we have....

Didn't KGB ally with some former enemies in Vanguard? Didn't KGB also make new allies in Vanguard? Some of this may carry over into the next game...
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/19/07 04:23 PM

Yes we have PRX,TAO and MC they were wonderful guilds and i think we will ally in our next games.

KGB will always have enemies and when we go to a new game former kgb will always flock home due to our history.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Update 9-14 - 09/19/07 06:53 PM
Quote:

KGB will always have enemies and when we go to a new game former kgb will always flock home due to our history.

I have a big investment in what Elph said. I can only hope that the changes we have made and enough to sustain us. I think that we have very strong High Chancellor in Derid and that we have a real shot to surpass anything we have accomplished in the past. But, as you can imagine, my crown sits on a troubled brow.
Posted By: Raekwon Re: Update 9-14 - 09/20/07 09:40 AM
The more enemies the better. KGB always shines the brightest when the odds are stacked against us... Ultima onilne and Shadowbane KGB history as reference.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Update 9-14 - 09/20/07 07:07 PM
not to mention thats when its the most fun when the odds are against us. best time i had in sb was when cos was beating down our walls.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Update 9-14 - 09/20/07 09:45 PM
Yes, I was there...as COS =P
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/21/07 03:05 AM
Just look at how big of a force we pulled out with SB initially with only 2 weeks preparation. It burnt me out of the game with the recruting and everything we did but it was one hell of a start from no intrest to mass intrest. And we've been planning for yrs by the time the next game comes out we'll be on top of our games.
I wonder if the system requirements are gonna be as bad as they were in Vanguard. Only thing that really keeps me from enjoying the game as i have in the past is the fact that Kaly can't play and we can't upgrade his pc for at least a yr and half possibly two.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Update 9-14 - 09/21/07 10:54 PM
What are your current system specs?
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/22/07 01:58 PM
I have an xps 410 , Kaly has a dell lseries but you can't upgrade it anymore to a new vid or anymore ram and it's only allowed to have 1 gig
He couldn't even move in Vanguard
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Update 9-14 - 09/22/07 03:54 PM
Can you tell me what the specs are, not what commercial model computer you have?

2 gigs of ram is the standard now. Anything lower won't do.
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/23/07 12:37 AM
i don't know the exact dell he has but or his video card but his card is pci and he's only got 1 gig it's all his mb will let him have. His video card is an Nvidia 5500 i think and it's the only one compatible with his computer
He does have a p4 processor not sure on the rest of it I'd have to check
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Update 9-14 - 09/23/07 12:15 PM
I replaced my Nvidia 5900 over a year ago and it was old back then. A duo core computer, if you shop right on newegg, will cost you no more than 600$$ with at least 2 gigs of ram. That is, if your old case is capable of retaining the new MB, HD, Power supply, and Vid Card. Cases usually run at least 80$ for a good one.
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/23/07 12:56 PM
ya that is alot more money then we can afford for a few yrs. We have to put up a fence and stuff this yr so it won't happen until probably 09 that we can upgrade his pc
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: Update 9-14 - 09/23/07 06:14 PM
www.buyxg.com has pretty good prices compared to what you'd find at a brand like dell or alienware, it's worth checking out, you can build a pretty pimp computer for less than one thousand. For two thousand you have the biggest beast on the market.
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/23/07 08:41 PM
I don't have anyone that can put it together. Otherwise that would be feasible lol. Even still just won't happen for about a yr and a half
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Update 9-14 - 09/24/07 07:28 PM
If what Bos said was feasible at 1k to 2k in a year and a half, then what I mentioned for Newegg for a total of 600$, you should be able to pull off right now. =P

If you can't figure out how to put it together, maybe your husband could, or collectively you two could. It's easier than you think. You just do some research online, and most of it is plugNplay.
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/25/07 03:10 PM
Steve can't do shit with a computer. I could probably do everything cept the mb part is a pita
i can take a pc apart pretty good hehe.
We can't do 600 dollars now that is for sure, remember we got 3 kids and extra activities for our oldest one and we don't have a high income for the amount of people we have. I will check into that recommendation you said Crim for when we are looking. We're just playing DAOC now and his pc is fine with it except in massive rvr situations
Posted By: JetStar Re: Update 9-14 - 09/25/07 06:59 PM
Quote:

Steve can't do shit with a computer. I could probably do everything cept the mb part is a pita
i can take a pc apart pretty good hehe.
We can't do 600 dollars now that is for sure, remember we got 3 kids and extra activities for our oldest one and we don't have a high income for the amount of people we have. I will check into that recommendation you said Crim for when we are looking. We're just playing DAOC now and his pc is fine with it except in massive rvr situations

Well Elph, when DF or AOC get close to release, lets talk. I can offer some help AND have a KGB Telethon to raise funds.

Another idea is that we could all send you and Kaly some condoms and he could use the money from his snip snip operation for a new PC!
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/25/07 07:26 PM
lol his vasectomy is only gonna cost us 15$ and he will have it done on Oct 16th lol.
That is kind of you jet but we don't mind being behind or left out hehe.
Posted By: Lenny Re: Update 9-14 - 09/25/07 08:14 PM
I thought someone gave you a computer a year or so a go...
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/26/07 03:18 AM
Ash gave me one of his old ones but when he gave it to me he said it didn't have much life in it. It was a hunking huge ass machine the mobo went out on it or was going out on it , it wouldn't stay booted up for anything, HDD blew on it and it burnt up my memory sticks i had in it. IT worked awesome for me about a yr then the last several mos i had it pooped. I did get an extra mobo and fan or processor i don't remember that i could probably use to put into a machine for kaly but it's been sitting for a few yrs now, since before I had quit wow so it may not even be any good. It was a used o ne he had given me from another old pc. That was one of the nicest things anyone ever did for me. Ash was surprised it worked as long as it did lol
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/26/07 03:20 AM
damn lenny you got me thinking, ash gave it to me in wow time 4 mos or so before i quit, and i quit in jul 04 so it's been 3 yrs since i've last played wow, time flies so fast wow.
Posted By: Garal Re: Update 9-14 - 09/26/07 04:21 AM
Quote:

damn lenny you got me thinking, ash gave it to me in wow time 4 mos or so before i quit, and i quit in jul 04 so it's been 3 yrs since i've last played wow, time flies so fast wow.

OMG WHY AM I MUTED?!
Posted By: Elph Re: Update 9-14 - 09/28/07 12:31 PM
lol garal everyday I log into DAOC it brings me back to old memories. I still remember when you called me a bitch in game and how childish you were, now you are all grown up and gonna be a daddy makes me get the sniffles.
Posted By: Garal Re: Update 9-14 - 09/28/07 04:06 PM
Sorry =(
© The KGB Oracle