The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/19/08 06:44 AM

After 6 years of waiting, December is the target for the long awaited DARKFALL Beta. Be sure to have a look at:

Darkfall on TV and game play demonstration

The time has come for us to muster the troops and get prepared. Stop in to the Oracle's Darkfall Section and start the discussion with KGB High Chancellor Derid and myself on how KGB Darkfall is going to work.

I plan to send out a general KGB Oracle spam to all registered members in mid November.

This is the game we have waited for and the only game that offers the best of what UO and Shadowbane had to offer. Get involved TODAY!
Posted By: Represent Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/19/08 08:15 AM
Game time
Posted By: Bardaji Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/19/08 02:57 PM
Could it be, would it be, will it be time?? Hope so!
Posted By: Elph Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/19/08 09:10 PM
I will be very excited for you guys come December and it actually does go into beta. I remember the last target beta date of April 06 lol.
Posted By: Uber Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/20/08 01:23 PM
Dont waste your time on this one. Outdated engine, outdated concept, no funding are just a few headaches that will plague this pathetic excuse for a game...
Posted By: Daye Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/20/08 03:08 PM
Agree.

IF it ever releases, it will be a last ditch effort to
recover some of the development costs that went into it.

If it took six YEARS to get this thing out, what kind
of patch schedule do you think we're going to be looking
at ? Be surprised if any at all follow it.

No thanks
Posted By: Derid Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/20/08 04:37 PM

Concept of sandbox style game ala UO with skill-based system and consequential combat never goes out of style.

If you say there is no funding for the game, you are very misinformed. Also, TBH the engine , especially on a decent PC looks far better than warhammer TBH, people who saw it at Athens week concur.

The server coding and DB may well not hold up when 10000 ppl hammer a server and start trying to break it and dupe etc... that is a true unknown.

But as far as the rest of comment, I look forward to seeing a lot of people eat a lot of crow. If only the servers hold out, DFO is going to be far and away the best MMO in ages.

I said AoC was gonna be incomplete and not even have siege working and I was right. I am saying DFO will be complete, the siege will be working, and the crafting and economy side as well.. and I will also be right again.

Looking forward to seeing you all become believers after you get bored of running your 11000th scenario , while hearing about how the rest of us are running around fighting to take peoples resources to uber up our floating city ^_^
Posted By: Bardaji Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/20/08 05:05 PM

If graphics were the deciding factor, we'd all still be running around in AoC! It'll be much more worth taking a chance on than any MMOG to release in the last couple years. Definately worth my $60 (or whatever they price it at) just for the *chance* at a successful sandbox!
Posted By: Ken_Kamillion Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/20/08 11:52 PM
Have to see how the game is in beta but right now ill stick to wh until df comes out dont have time to play games. Its make money time. Just realize every game has its set backs so i expect this one to just have little less then the others 6 years they should have it down pat but you never know.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/21/08 10:29 AM
Quote:

Concept of sandbox style game ala UO with skill-based system and consequential combat never goes out of style.

If you say there is no funding for the game, you are very misinformed. Also, TBH the engine , especially on a decent PC looks far better than warhammer TBH, people who saw it at Athens week concur.

The server coding and DB may well not hold up when 10000 ppl hammer a server and start trying to break it and dupe etc... that is a true unknown.

But as far as the rest of comment, I look forward to seeing a lot of people eat a lot of crow. If only the servers hold out, DFO is going to be far and away the best MMO in ages.

I said AoC was gonna be incomplete and not even have siege working and I was right. I am saying DFO will be complete, the siege will be working, and the crafting and economy side as well.. and I will also be right again.

Looking forward to seeing you all become believers after you get bored of running your 11000th scenario , while hearing about how the rest of us are running around fighting to take peoples resources to uber up our floating city ^_^

I have to agree here 100%. You guys should really read up on where this has come.

Again, as far as KGB is concerned, in my opinion, this game's rule set and sustainability is the best and only perfect fit. Taking the best from UO and Shadowbane, this game has the parts that saw KGB at it's most successful.

To be perfectly honest, I feel that our success in the future is largely wagered on this game.

On a personal level, I am long tired of the same old grind games with no end game content and artificial PVP limitation, and most importantly, a lack of large scale national / world politics / competition.

In this game there is something real to build and defend, something real at stake, and a reason to log in after you max out your skills.

I would trade graphic engine, and alot of other perks to have REAL game play. I encourage all of you to follow the links, and check out the possibilities.
Posted By: Elph Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/21/08 01:30 PM
Everyone knows that Warhammer's graphics are kinda crappy lol. I just don't like the style of play and I am going to stay committed to warhammer. If I did ever play Darkfall, I think it will be several months after the game comes out. That was my initial gut reaction with AOC and I should've went with that instead of wasting money on a game for just a few months lol.

It has some nice potential its just been so long. They are slated for beta in dec, when is game expected to release?
Posted By: Derid Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/21/08 04:58 PM

Game is slated for Nov beta, and December release. They have taken a console-style route for testing, instead of running and managing large semi-open public tests, they have opted to hire teams of professional testers and QA the same way console game makers do.

This route is typically more expensive by far than letting your fans play early in return for some "usually spotty" feedback. True, they wont be getting gameplay feedback this route instead sticking to their guns on how they think the game should be... which might be the best route, might backfire.

But what they are not doing, is being cheap or careless. Near feature complete servers have been running remotely as internal testing for well over a year, feature complete versions for almost a year , while using professional firms to test/QA feedback.

Theyre not pushing it out the door, true it has taken a long time, but theyre spending the time and money to try and make it as polished as possible.
Posted By: Owain Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/21/08 10:39 PM
Prior to Age of Conan, I was playing on an old school UO free server, and had a LOT more fun than (pick one: Star Wars Galaxies; WoW; Vanguard; Age of Conan). Right now, I'm having a reasonably good time in Warhammer, but if DarkFall really is the 3D UO we have been waiting for, I'd drop the watered down RvR PvP offered by Warhammer for some honest to God FFA, dry-loot-your-ass, kill-your-horse old school PvP, even if it's only in certain zones. If they could somehow include the old fashioned Anti-vs-PK PvP, that would only make it better, but if we can no kiddin' get some 'crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentation of the women", that will be fine.
Posted By: Daye Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/22/08 01:28 PM
Game developers are like politicians.

They will promise you anything you want to hear in
order to gain your money / trust.

I took a chance on Warhammer because I was bored out
of my mind. It isn't bad, but it's not THE game
we're looking for. ( Does / will one ever exist ? )

I will not chance Darkfall until a few months after
release at the minimum. I want to see how fast they
address bugs and other issues. I want to see how the
servers hold up with a bazillion folks on screen during
a major fight. I want to see how they address the
inevitable spamming / duping issues.

I will not drop subscription and a game purchase on
a product they have not been very serious about for
so long without some proof it will run as intended.

Will simply have to wait and see.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/22/08 01:53 PM
Quote:

Game developers are like politicians.

They will promise you anything you want to hear in
order to gain your money / trust.

I took a chance on Warhammer because I was bored out
of my mind. It isn't bad, but it's not THE game
we're looking for. ( Does / will one ever exist ? )

I will not chance Darkfall until a few months after
release at the minimum. I want to see how fast they
address bugs and other issues. I want to see how the
servers hold up with a bazillion folks on screen during
a major fight. I want to see how they address the
inevitable spamming / duping issues.

I will not drop subscription and a game purchase on
a product they have not been very serious about for
so long without some proof it will run as intended.

Will simply have to wait and see.

Understandable. I know alot of folks are tired of the initial rush only to see it fizzle out like AOC did. Plenty of us are going to test it out early.
Posted By: Elph Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/22/08 02:08 PM
That is great to hear Derid!
Posted By: Vuldan Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/22/08 02:39 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I have to agree here 100%. You guys should really read up on where this has come.

Again, as far as KGB is concerned, in my opinion, this game's rule set and sustainability is the best and only perfect fit. Taking the best from UO and Shadowbane, this game has the parts that saw KGB at it's most successful.

To be perfectly honest, I feel that our success in the future is largely wagered on this game.

On a personal level, I am long tired of the same old grind games with no end game content and artificial PVP limitation, and most importantly, a lack of large scale national / world politics / competition.

In this game there is something real to build and defend, something real at stake, and a reason to log in after you max out your skills.

I would trade graphic engine, and alot of other perks to have REAL game play. I encourage all of you to follow the links, and check out the possibilities.

Best two posts in the last 2 years.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/23/08 01:17 AM
Thanks Vuldan, I have high hopes.
Posted By: Seaelf Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/24/08 10:04 AM
Hopefully this game will have playability for more than 6 months. It is hard to predict which game will be the next EVE or WoW and will actually be around after 1 or 2 years.
I hope darkfall will be a winner, lord knows we have tried everything that's come out in the past 5 years with not much success.
Posted By: Uber Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/26/08 05:24 AM
I hope you are right Derid for the sake of enjoyment and getting us all together again I would love nothing more than for Darkfall to get us pwning face again... I just will remain skeptical until I hear everyones feedback
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/26/08 07:08 PM
Quote:

Dont waste your time on this one. Outdated engine, outdated concept, no funding are just a few headaches that will plague this pathetic excuse for a game...

Backup plan:

Mortal Online.

Always have an Exit Strategy.
Posted By: Ezekiel_Zane Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/27/08 09:32 PM
I've planned on keeping a good watch out for DarkFall being released. I've finally after six + years grown weary of UO and had said that I probably wouldn't play another MMO unless DarkFall proved to meet all it's hyped up expectations. We'll see.

Regardless, I have five or six weeks of training ahead of me for a new job and will then be moving from Washington state to Montana. The move should happen sometime maybe before Christmas. I plan on soon deciding whether or not to completely sell off my UO houses and accounts, castle on Pacific included.

So, if I retire from UO, I'll either not be playing any MMO at all or I'll give DarkFall a shot. It's quite a bit to think about and to decide. I do hope DarkFall is released and succeeds. I've been quietly cheering for it on the sidelines for years myself.
Posted By: dolmar Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/29/08 10:13 PM
Darkfallonline will be the best game to ever be played .ITS NOT JUST A GAME IT WILL BE A WAY OF LIFE!
Posted By: Owain Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/30/08 11:04 PM
I was exchanging email with a friend of mine who also happens to be in the KGB (50-50), talking about what I was hoping for from Darkfall, and I figured I'd post a part of that exchange here. I don't think 50-50 would mind.

Quote:

I can tell you have a fair amount of enthusiasm for DFO... I hope it plays out like you are hoping for.

Well, it's not so much enthusiasm for Darkfall as much as it is hopeful optimism that it won't turn out to be a big bite from yet another crap sandwich. I was very excited to start with playing SWG, WoW, Vanguard, and AoC but all of those games failed to develop any long term playability. I think this is a failure of a quest driven game design. Unless developers can supply an endless supply of quests, what is there for players to do once they hit the top levels?

Quests really break the believability of the artificial world too. When I travel around in a game like AoC or Warhammer or Wow, I feel like I'm going from room to room in a big house, even in areas that are supposed to be outdoors. Certain animals are compacted in one little area, and no other. Humanoid mobs are stuck in one spot and they don't move either. They just stand there waiting for you to come by. In between quest areas there is nothing. No animals, no monsters. Nothing. In UO, it felt more like a real world. There were animals and monsters everywhere, but they weren't clumped into little crowds. There was a more natural distribution, and it didn't feel crowded in some areas and barren in others. Orcs, for example, were more common in some areas than others, but you could encounter them more rarely just about anywhere. In the areas where they were more common, they didn't just stand around statically, though, but would wander about at random, patrolling their territory.

That is what I liked about UO - I wasn't continually running from npc to npc fulfilling quests. At first, I was busy exploring the new world that really felt like a real world while building my skills. I did have quests, but they were quests I gave to myself. The first time I entered a dungeon, I was woefully unskilled and poorly equipped, and was quickly reduced to a grease spot. Over time, as my combat skills, weapons, and armor improved, I'd go in again and again, and each time I'd get a little deeper until I'd hit a spot where I was overmatched again. It took me months to get to the bottom of my first dungeon solo, and it was a real achievement, and I didn't need an NPC quest giver to grant me any rewards in gold, xp, or gear for doing it. And the dungeons were BIG too, far larger in comparison that dungeons in WoW or other games. You could no shit get lost in a UO dungeon, even if you had been in there lot.

The accomplishment was its own reward, and because it was HARD, and it DID take me months to manage, partly because of the variability in the environment due to the open PvP design of the game, and because the dungeon became progressively harder the deeper you went. But over time, the PvP became the main part of the game, not the exploration of the world, or the killing of npcs. When you went into the dungeons (or anywhere for that matter) you were not just hunting mob's, you were mostly hunting players, and the players were by far the most challenging. NPC mobs were there for cash and supplies. PvP against other players was what made the game entertaining and fun to play.

PvP in a game like WoW or Age of Conan seems like a distraction because usually you are busy trying to finish a quest, or you are trying to find your way from one location to another, and PvP interrupts that. But you HAVE to do the quests in order to level up, so you get trapped in the level grind mentality.

Now in a game like BF1942, to use a first person shooter example, you never feel that getting attacked by another player is an interruption, because PvP in the online maps is why you are playing in the first place. You aren't there to explore the map, you are there to kill other players and capture spawn points. It helps if you are familiar with the terrain, but you learn the maps by playing solo. You play online or at a LAN party to fight other players.

This aspect of PvP is what is missing from current MMOs. UO had it at first, but lost it. ShadowBane had it, but was beset by game killing bugs and a truly crappy user interface. Other MMOs have never had it. I don't know if DarkFall will have it, but I can only hope.

If I'm lucky, my hope will be justified.
Posted By: Seaelf Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/31/08 09:39 AM
I agree. Also epic weapons, instanced raids are bad. In shadowbane some weapons were better than others but alot was what the "skin" was or how your build fit with the stats on a certain weapon.

But for sure a big world to explore would be great. I look forward to getting "out in the boonies" for a little quiet farming !!

Quests are the suck, I agree... SB = farming for city, xp and loot and pvp with the end goal to make money for end game global conquest. I hate how in most games you see a RvR person of the opposite side, and just run past them, because you are trying to finish a quest....

LOL, AoC farming for city was done in an instanced farm map with no PvP except from two other guilds, I never once PvP'ed on the city map.
Posted By: dolmar Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/31/08 10:57 AM
Amen Owain and Seaelf well said!!
Posted By: Donkleaps Re: Darkfall - This time it's for REAL - 10/31/08 04:06 PM
adventure...excitement...a Jedi crave not these things.

But the Donk does.

Hopefully this game hits, and hopefully all your wounds are to the front.
© The KGB Oracle