The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/07/07 06:37 PM
As some of you know, after playing Vanguard hard core for a month or so, I started having pains near the tops of my knuckles on my left (FPS) hand. Specifically when pressing the ASWD keys to control movement. I am sure that this is the result decades of gaming.

I have been on the market for a solution. I found this:
Belkin Nostromo® SpeedPad n52

You can see a picture of it here:
Picture of the n52

After talking to some of you, I want to try and find the best solution. We have some great times ahead, and I don't want to miss them because I am in pain!

Any advice or ideas for us old timers is appreciated.
Posted By: Vipir Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/07/07 07:54 PM
You played Vanguard hardcore? And are you sure that pain wasn't from opening say bottles and can's?

I have and use Wolf King Warrior DK2388URD Gaming Keyboard http://www.wolfkingusa.com/ . Pretty comfortable for me. I also use a Zboard, Deck the legend and a few others. Depends on the game. Birthdays are so fun, so full of misc computer parts from people. But i dont think those will help your problem.

Also the ATPA has designed some exercise's for gamers to do with thier hands to keep alot of pain and cramping down. Might look into that and start doing a few of those daily even when not gaming.
Posted By: Slinger Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/07/07 10:27 PM
I have 2 Nostromo speed pads, and it's a super cool device, all of the keys are mappable, etc... The only cons to the product that I've noticed is a barely noticeable response delay (I first noticed it while playing Counter Strike: Source, and that's the only game I've had an issue with) and I'm pretty sure it would be more comfortable if I had bigger hands. The arch to rest your hand on is kind of clunky, I wish I could move it down and closer to the keys, if I could do that then it would be perfectly comfortable.

The features I REALLY like on it are the D-pad and the scroll wheel, these are perfect for swapping weapons in FPS style games, and I'm sure if DF or AoC has a weapon hotswap (read: 'w' key from Diablo 2) it would be super convenient.
Posted By: JetStar Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/07/07 10:39 PM
Quote:

You played Vanguard hardcore? And are you sure that pain wasn't from opening say bottles and can's?

Bottles of water and cans of diet soda. I dont drink.
Posted By: Vipir Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/07/07 11:05 PM
It's his age. Haveing delusions, becoming senile is all apart of it. So it's ok we must show him support and keep and eye out for early signs of Dementia. So, Um yes Jet we know you " don't drink ". This isn't Jet drinking this is Jet exhibiting a loss of cognitive abilities and uncontroable drooling associated with old age

Removed by JetStar
(Lets keep less than flattering pictures of me off the public boards, k thx)
Posted By: Arkh Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/08/07 01:34 AM
I don't know if they are good for gaming… but these keyboards : http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage_pro.htm are awesome when you need to use your computer for a long time.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/08/07 07:48 AM
hey jet i dont drink any more are any less either...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/08/07 05:22 PM
http://www.datahand.com/

I have not used them but it looks pretty neat.
Posted By: Uber Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/10/07 01:44 PM
Jestar go see a chiropractor also. Most of the times the numbness in my hands from gaming comes from my neck and the horrible gaming posture we keep.

Love u bud.

Come back to shadowbane
Posted By: 5050 Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/10/07 08:27 PM
Gotta go with the n52... it is awesome. I have one with about 4 profiles depending on what I am playing at the time.. takes the stress out of the hand plus saves wear and tear on the keyboard.
Posted By: Vydor Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/15/07 08:01 PM
Jet.. I used the n52 in SB for quit a while. Its a very nice gadget. Highly recommended (at least works well for me!)
Posted By: JetStar Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/16/07 03:49 PM
I got my N52 Nostromo and have to get used to it. You know the thing that would help is a foot operated joystick for movememnt (replacing ASWD keys). Anyone know of anything?
Posted By: Slinger Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/16/07 10:54 PM
If you're up for a project I suggest hacking a Nintendo Wii remote to replace your mouse and a DDR pad to replace your keyboard. I have some DDR pads I think I'm going to make an attempt with once I get into the habit of doing my homework before the day of class... :-x
Posted By: Vydor Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 09/17/07 01:54 AM
Quote:

I got my N52 Nostromo and have to get used to it. You know the thing that would help is a foot operated joystick for movememnt (replacing ASWD keys). Anyone know of anything?

Why not use the D Pad?
Posted By: Crimthan Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 10/01/07 03:08 AM
Quote:

As some of you know, after playing Vanguard hard core for a month or so, I started having pains near the tops of my knuckles on my left (FPS) hand. Specifically when pressing the ASWD keys to control movement. I am sure that this is the result decades of gaming.

I have been on the market for a solution. I found this:
Belkin Nostromo® SpeedPad n52

You can see a picture of it here:
Picture of the n52

After talking to some of you, I want to try and find the best solution. We have some great times ahead, and I don't want to miss them because I am in pain!

Any advice or ideas for us old timers is appreciated.

I have been using the Nostromo n52 pad for over 3 years now with total success. The problem my friends have noted about it, is that the keys are harder to press at first than a keyboard. However, your fingers actually adjust and strengthen and it's so ergonamically correct that I can't imagine ever using a keyboard for gaming - especially because you can map the keys to do anything you want.

As far as getting older and arthritic...well I'm 31 and can't say I can totally empathize on that matter, but I'd definitely recommend a nostromo to anyone interested.
Posted By: tyrana Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 10/25/07 03:24 AM
http://www.n52te.com/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826169019

Coming in 1 week! =D

The new thing is the best thing.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 10/28/07 02:33 PM
Ok...
--It has exactly the same key layout as the original n52.
--It looks like it's more sensitive to touch - good thing for guys like Jet with aging fingers.
--It has an analog joystick that's connected to, and can be removed from, the thumb directional pad.
--It's wireless
--It has a cool glowing blue color.

In other words, not something I need to spend 60 bucks on. The one I have is perfectly fine, and I actually prefer having a wired controller versus wireless. Running out of batteries during a critical moment is NOT an option for me, and never have liked anything wireless.

If they wanted to have one called "Tournament Edition" then they should have added at least 6 more buttons to it - That's probably what's most needed in the n52, IMO.

However, if you've just become interested in the n52, or just found out about it - you might as well get the newest thing.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 10/28/07 02:59 PM
Here are some links for other game pads I thought were interesting:

Wolf King - Available in 5 different colors
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2006/07/wolfking_warrior_gamepad_for_gamers.html

Saitek Pro Gamer Command Pad
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/i...roducts_id=4414

Cyber Snipa Gamepad II
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/i...oducts_id=21448
Posted By: Dcengr Re: The pain of gaming for old timers - 11/22/07 04:26 AM
I still have my Microsoft Strategic Commander... took a bit to make it work in Vista but its still not bad.
© The KGB Oracle