The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/11/15 07:59 PM
TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME

Strategy games are a vital part of the PC's heritage. Whether you favour real-time bouts or brainy turn-based simulations, great strategy throw you into uniquely massive scenarios that let you rule empires, control spacefaring races and marshal cavalry charges against armies of hundreds. We love them. But we love 20 of them a little more than the others. Will you agree with our picks? Are there any you'd add or like to recommend to fellow readers? Have your say in the comments.

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-strategy-games-on-pc/
Posted By: Instrument Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/11/15 08:18 PM
as they have red alert I am surprised they do not have Dune which as far as I know was the first RTS game
Posted By: JetStar Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/11/15 09:45 PM
Total Annihilation was by far my favorite.

Big Map, 4 people, or 4 hard opponents.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/12/15 05:41 PM
It's PCGamer so anything they publish is bought and paid for advertising, and that's a fact.

The people making list are obviously younger aged and were not alive and/or engaged in the PC revolution leading up to the dawn of the internet.

Off the top of my head in less than 30 seconds of thoughts they missed a tremendous amount of strategy titles that came out prior to 2000'ish, and every single title they put in there list is a title that PC gamer has published paid for ratings that were less than honest.

Where is Moons of Orion or Iron Hearts 1 or 2, where the fuck is the PC port of Suikidon? Just another fail list by PC Gamer, as expected.

Jet, man you got to break yourself of propagating industry spam. We could have come up with a list that was more representative of what gamers would actually agree with then a paid for publish industry rag.
Posted By: JetStar Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/12/15 07:30 PM
Well it gets people talking, which is the purpose of my posts. Even if we bash them, we are discussing gaming, which is the point of KGB.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/12/15 09:59 PM
Jets master plan is see through [watching]
Posted By: SirWilliamPD Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/15/15 06:27 PM
Tas

I'd love to see your list. I really enjoy strategy games and would like to see if there are any I have missed out on. I tried getting into Iron Wolf but the interface just flat out blew my mind.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/15/15 09:30 PM
Hell, Final Fantasy Tactics or Silent Hunter wasn't even listed.
Posted By: Donkleaps Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/16/15 06:59 AM
My 2 cents.

Endless Legend = 10/10
Neptunes pride = Breaks friendships.
Red Alert = 7/10
X-com = 10/10
Galactic Civ- never played
Civ 4 - 7/10
Homeworld = never played
Supreme Commander 8/10
Starcraft 2 = garbage
Warcraft 3 = 7/10 hero system was interesting but 2+tides of darkness was way better
Rome Total War = 500000000/10 obvious is obvious
WH Dawnn of War 2= 6/10 Units + thems is incredible..control point rts was terrible idea. Just make 40K tabletop online
Sins of a Solar Empire=9/10 one of my favorites
Crusader Kings 2= 6/10 great options, but so autistic it's scary
Defcon = never played
Company of heroes 6/10 it's dawn of war with ww2 skins
Frozen Synapse = 8/10 game is excellent
Xeononauts = 7/10
Unity of Command = never played
Rise of Nations = never played

Ok, so I am genuinely upset that nothing from Heroes of Might and Magic franchise dint even get a mention. Heroes 2 and 3 were some of the BEST strategy games to ever grace the PC.

Orion also didn't get mentioned.

Europa series is excellent as are just about all games in the Paradox stable.

Star Wars Empires at war was game breaking

Gettysburg was an old title that was really incredible.

These are just a few I can think of that could easily replace some on this persons list.
Posted By: rhaikh Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/16/15 07:24 PM
Heroes 3 was awesome for the first 8 hours when me and my buddies didn't realize our game desynced 7 hours ago
Posted By: Owain Re: TOP 20 STRATEGY GAMES OF ALL TIME - 05/17/15 04:11 PM
I like Dawn of War, old school. I don't like DoW 2 as well, but it's OK.
© The KGB Oracle