The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar Whats old is new - 4 Years - 03/09/07 07:12 PM
On April 12th, 2003 (my 35th Birthday) I completed the latest version of the KGB Oracle (the previous version was the Discus forums, which are still installed and the data is still present, but has not been operational since 2004 because of a Linux kernel upgrade). This system remained in use until I was convinced a newer version would be a better fit for KGB (MIA member Revol did the convincing, then vanished never to be heard from again).
After making the change to an open source system, KGBers didnt like the interface, and if I remember correctly, there was no New Message feature, which made keeping up very difficult.
In 2005, that system was hacked and the entire w3 sever was hijacked and destroyed. Little did the hackers know, this system is entirely virtual, running under VMware. I simply reverted to a previous snapshot, before the hacking took place, and disabled the open source PHP system.
This version of the KGB Oracle was still online, though unused, waiting for the day I would call it back to service. I did just that, and with not alot of work, I was able to get it back online with the new IIP add on (Entrance and front end). We still have a modern looking system, and a message forum that we all are familiar with and works well. In addition, it is much more resistant to hacks.
So Happy Birthday UUBThreads KGB Oracle! KGB would not be possible without you!
Posted By: ltima Re: Whats old is new - 4 Years - 03/10/07 04:31 PM
<3 forums
© The KGB Oracle