KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#97468 01/18/12 04:35 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Food Stamps
There is a purpose for food stamps. The biggest issue with food stamps is fraud. I knew a person that would sell it cheap just to get cash. Even use it to buy drugs and other stuff. I'm not saying everyone that gets them are fraudulent, there are cases where they actually help the people that it's intended for.

When I was a kid my dad got laid off from a job, we went on food stamps for nearly 4 months until my dad was able to find enough odd jobs to make up for the lost money from the layoff. A month later he had another job and the rest is history. But for the 7 people in our household at the time, it was something like $75-$100 a month. For 7 people that's not that much, though my parents were able to deal with it. Nowadays, if someone got lees than a few hundred they would probably scream how unjust it is. I believe there is a need for assistance.

We need to put their ass's to work, if the Liberals want to give out other peoples money so bad, at least make the people receiving the assistance do something in return. Pick up roadside trash, use whatever expertise they have to help. I know it's a lot to ask people to work, but imagine if all those lazy fucks actually had to be productive, we would probably get some shit done! At least I know where to go when I get hungry, Obama seems to be handing that shit out like it's going out of style! /facepalm

Last edited by Wolfgang; 01/18/12 04:37 PM.
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
You do know that the "Food Stamp Act" was a bi-partisan effort passed in 1964? You would have a lot more credibility Wolfgang if you took that "Liberal" rhetoric out of your posts and replaced it with "Politicians".

If you think the GOP is a party that is for you, then either you are delusional or you make more then $250k a year. The DNC isn't that much better, they are intent on creating massive government as the far left is just as guilty as the far right for screwing all of us, taypayer and trustee.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Yeah you know because all through the Reagan, Bush #1, and Bush #1 republican regimes, then did away with food stamps. Yeah that't it.

I mean shit, we have to pay for the tax cut on my corporate jet from somewhere!

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Obesity and poverty

Poor are priced out of healthful eating
Quote:
A researcher compared food prices in Seattle's Rainier Valley and Queen Anne neighborhoods and found that a family of four living on the maximum allowable amount of food stamps can barely afford the basics here.

Jamillah Jordan, a fellow with the Congressional Hunger Center in Washington, D.C., shopped for groceries -- apples, potatoes, bagels, corn flakes, macaroni, canned peaches, ground turkey and other items -- and discovered what those on limited incomes know well: Even the basics cost families a little more than food stamp benefits allow.

The Connection Between Obesity and Poverty
Quote:
A study from the Trust for America’s Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation that looks at the increase in obesity rates across the U.S. The report notes higher obesity rates nationally among low-income adults. “More than 33% of adults who earn less than $15,000 per year were obese, compared with 24.6% of those who earn at least $50,000 per year,” the authors state.

Food Price Index hits record high

Poverty hits record high

Meanwhile people who actually need food stamps to survive can barely to afford to eat.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Read the article again, with a critical eye. For one thing, people are talking about "organic" in it. Food does not have to be certified "organic" to be healthy, in fact "organic" is mostly a marketing gimmick these days. But "organic" can be much much more expensive.

Thats just one criticism. The article has no data period, just a few people talking about their feelings basically. Though some of the people featured do admit that by paying attention, they can in fact eat healthy on a low budget.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I had to use "Find: Organic" to see what you are talking about.

Here it is:

Quote:
In a food-conscious city such as Seattle, where consumers are willing to pay a premium for all things wild, organic and locally grown, chances are pretty good that you can find and buy healthful food wherever you live.

Please explain how you reached conclusion that this article was talking about buying organic food on food stamps?

Article is talking about "a nutritious diet", they further list foods: "apples, potatoes, bagels, corn flakes, macaroni, canned peaches, ground turkey and other items".

As to "lack of data" claim, while I aknowledge your point, I think you are holding it to unrealistically high standard. You are also ignoring expert opinions of 1) the director of the University of Washington's Center for Public Health Nutrition 2) a fellow with the Congressional Hunger Center in Washington 3) a professor at Tulane University.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
" I really need to get in there to see if my purse burned up, I got my food stamp card and everything in there"

KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: sinij

Meanwhile people who actually need food stamps to survive can barely to afford to eat.

I drive by a church that has a food bank and gives out food like many others in the area do. If people are barely eating it's because someone isn't letting them eat.

Again when my parents had to go on food stamps for a few months we had food. We didn't have prime rib or filet Minot. I remember eating a lot of vegetables & fruits during that time, those are healthy right?

You can sit there and use that article all you want, it comes down to choices. You can CHOOSE to go to the grocery store and find creative ways to eat healthy food. Sure it's not like going to a fast food place ordering a fried chicken sandwich and diet soda. You can eat healthy with little money if you "CHOOSE" to! It's just to easy to stop by McDonald's and order off the dollar menu. I'm sure that's the "REAL" reason for the Obesity thing among poorer people. I've said before there's nothing wrong with some assistance, but damn he's handing out twice as much as anyone else. Makes you wonder if he's just trying to keep the masses happy by keeping them fat!

KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Wolfgang

If people are barely eating it's because someone isn't letting them eat.

I am going to quote this ignorance so you can't get out of it later.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Wolfgang

If people are barely eating it's because someone isn't letting them eat.

I am going to quote this ignorance so you can't get out of it later.

So you're saying there's no help in America if you're hungry? I guess if you're paranoid that a church or soup kitchen is going to kidnap you and force you into a labor camp, then maybe it wouldn't be worth asking for a meal. But in reality that's not the case.

I know people go hungry here, but there is help other than Uncle Sam handing it out. I get you think society can't function without Government being up every Orpheus holding your hand.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard