KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Aby
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,005,827 Trump card
1,337,549 Picture Thread
477,213 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Kaotic #91895 08/28/11 12:11 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
Originally Posted By: Drakiis
I disagree Arkh, Solar cells have improved leaps and bounds since they were first manufactured, today's solar cells are arranged in large flexible panels which can accommodation many more cells then previous panels and the cells themselves far more efficient at gathering solar energy during peak periods of the day even in cloudy or poor lighting conditions.

They have improved but it is still more efficient to burn fossil fuels at present. Some of the newer tech that suggests the ability to practically print solar cells looks promising but isn't there just yet.

Thorium Nuclear may not be the answer either, as that will undoubtedly have a waste byproduct which could potentially damage the environment as well.

From what I've seen the amount of waste produced by a Thorium plant equivalent to a current nuke plant in one year is only one 55 gallon drum full of waste material that will decay in 300 years vs the current run of hundreds or thousands of barrels of waste material that takes thousands of years to fully decay. That's a pretty amazing difference. Add to that the ability to simply shut off the plant if something goes wrong and then start it back up, both with no negative repercussions, and it seems to be far and away better than the current tech.

Arkh talked about this before, Thorium is also easy and more abundant to obtain. This only makes sense, Like I said in my previous post. Why would we just straight to solar panels & wind turbines that still are't efficient enough. That would be dumb to do that. And Drakiis... YES they are more efficient than they were after they were first manufactured. But still have a ways to go. If you want to be the waterhead to jump on these solar panels, wind turbines and electric cars. Then go right ahead, then we will get to see you whine about not having enough energy to charge the batteries for your butt plug.

Wolfgang #91922 08/29/11 04:45 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
stop riding other peoples comment coat tails Wolfgang, put two thoughts together and say something smart for a change. I have six wind farms surrounding me, and just about everyone here has Solar panels on their house, significant energy reductions are happening now, it's just that our infrastructure is not in place for it to be effective enough to show the greater parts of the country. A pie in the sky is thinking that everyone will have a expensive thorium reactor built near their hometown. Do you know how many Nuclear reactors are in the USA? Last I heard barely 100 that is because of expense mostly, and then ecological/health issues and waste byproducts, followed by social concern. This isn't sim city you cant just plop down a reactor where ever you like.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Drakiis #91933 08/29/11 07:07 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
stop riding other peoples comment coat tails Wolfgang, put two thoughts together and say something smart for a change. I have six wind farms surrounding me, and just about everyone here has Solar panels on their house, significant energy reductions are happening now, it's just that our infrastructure is not in place for it to be effective enough to show the greater parts of the country. A pie in the sky is thinking that everyone will have a expensive thorium reactor built near their hometown. Do you know how many Nuclear reactors are in the USA? Last I heard barely 100 that is because of expense mostly, and then ecological/health issues and waste byproducts, followed by social concern. This isn't sim city you cant just plop down a reactor where ever you like.

So those wind farms surrounding you, how many homes do they supply energy to and are they still hooked up on the electric grid? Like I said in a previous post. There's been towns here in Oklahoma that are setting up wind farms as well, the biggest issue doing this is cost and efficiency. Many can afford them, but they still have to get the majority of the electricity from a regular grid. So there isn't any savings, and you are still left with needing more energy. Not unless you have thousands of wind turbines supplying a couple dozen homes. Then again what about that eye sore of seeing nothing but windmills across a landscape. That's got to be a pretty sight as well don't you think.

Show me where a wind turbine and solar panels can supply one family size home, with nothing else but solar and wind. I said before I have a friend and ex co-worker that looked into a wind turbine and solar panels. That way he could get off the "grid" and only have maintenance cost of the Wind and Solar energy sources. The cost was going to be significant to buy, it would only supply about a third of the energy he was going to need.

As for Nuclear energy, lets ask France...
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf40.html
If you didn't get that, France get's 75% of their nations energy from Nuclear energy. So now question is, would you rather see the horizon littered with Wind Farms, or have a single Reactor off in the distance? Have you heard of any meltdowns in France lately? I haven't. I'm not against using Solar & Wind... but right now it's just not efficient enough, versus the cost. If it was, you would see a lot more of them, because people would be getting off the "grid" rather than having to pay inflated prices to electric companies. I think we should use everything we have, Wind,Solar,Hydro,Oil,Natural gas,nuclear... your ass on a stationary bicycle that generates electricity... EVERYTHING, until we can get things to be as efficient as they can be versus costs and any enviromental impact. I wish you had more than a typical tree hugging response of "OMG THE ENVIROMENT"

Last edited by Wolfgang; 08/29/11 07:14 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard