KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
nethervoid
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,004,937 Trump card
1,337,427 Picture Thread
477,157 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86686 03/29/11 07:00 PM
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Need some advice here. I have been offered an opportunity to have my college paid for by a state program(due to back diability) and I want to go for computers... I think. There are 2 programs at my community college both are AS programs. One is a network support spec. with certification afterwards for network administrator. The other is programmer/ analyst. The question is, is an AS good enough to get a job in this field or do I need a BS. Any advice would be appreciated!

Missing in Action - October 2021
Missing in Action - October 2021
Most the jobs are asking for a BS or = Experience and Certs.

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Also, I would go for the Program/Analyst

Its easy enough to self study and get your network certs, having an AS is not going to help much.

Personally, my advice for what little it is worth: go and do the AS for P/A - try to get good grades, then transfer to your local Uni (even online ) to finish a 4-year BS. At the very least, minor in business - unless you go the other route and head for full blown computer engineering.

At least if you want one of those stable corporate jobs.

Really I would say just do the AS and go from there. If you really get "in" to the programming aspect and have talent go full CE. If you are OK at the programming side, and can cut it but its not your "calling" finish up with more business classes.

Just like companies need super geeks that can hack out mad code or organize their network, companies also need people who understand both the business processes and the coding side of things. Most times, having the best understanding of what your project is for, who will be using it, why they will be using it and where it fits into the grand scheme of your companies IT platform is far more valuable than being the worlds best code monkey.

After finding a job, if you take that track and are ambitious - work on your MBA at night or online. Many companies value having lower and mid tier managers that have strong technical qualifications in addition to management credentials.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Thanks that's really good advice. I'm going to check how many of the courses in the AS program transfer to 4 yr university. Thanks Derid. Prism, I trolled the job ads and kind of saw exactly what you said is true but, how do you get experience with out the degree?

KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
I have an AAS in Computer Information Systems. Quite frankly it may get you in the door, but it isn't going to get you very far.

You have no professional experience in the field? By professional experience, I mean holding a job title and working in the field for which your going to get a degree for.

If you answered no, then expect to be paid as if you were a early 20-something kid who just found there way out from under their mommy's skirt.

The advantage to an AAS is the cost of education vs. the benefits/earnings potential granted. Dollar for Dollar its probably one of the most effective degrees. The alternative being just having a H.S. diploma.

The reality of our current employment scenario and the current utter greed going with businesses as they continue to drive down wages while increasing margins and leveraging the current employment scenario to there advantage.

Analyst speak for its an employer's market right now. Wages are flat if not declining, Cost of Living (Food/Shelter/Energy) are on the rise. Compensation packages are a joke right now, and quite frankly the powers that be intend to keep it that way for as long as possible.

So, after all that doom and gloom, lets see what plays to your advantage. In our current economic situation, if you can hold out and make it financially, then you want as much schooling as you can get and try to work some internships along the way in the field your studying in so that you can show professional experience.

In the hardware world, certs are important. Quite honestly you are 10x's better off in the hardware world as opposed to the code and development world. Code monkeys are a dime a dozen, a quality hardware person is worth there weight in gold.

As far as your education goes, ideally you want a B.S., not a B.A., you want to walk away with dual degrees. AAS in Computer Science, a B.S. in Computer Science, several Certs, and a MINOR in business. If you map out your progression from the start and the plan is to get your B.S. then you can filter in at the Community College level the vast amount of requirements for the minor in Business. So when you do get to your Bachelor degree you can slip in the remaining classes needed for your minor as your FLUFF classes. It all depends on where you transferring from and to. That is the other part of this equation. You want to take the time to do the leg work in your master plan to figure out how your going to matriculate from C.C. to a University and what transfers. You want to maximize your time at C.C. at the lower per unit cost value and continue to leverage your investment through your cost structure per unit at the University level.

How do I know this works....I did it myself. I walked away with an A.A.S in Computer science, spent 3 years at a C.C. wracking up over 120 transferable credits and reducing my overall cost of education. I then leveraged myself as a transfer to a State University and then spent the next 3 years getting TWO B.S. degrees, while working 3/4 time. Was it a massive pain in the ass? You bet is was, but to be successful you have to have a solid reasonably executable plan, and the willingness to sacrifice to make it happen. No one, and I mean no one is going to make this happen for you. Its up to you to seize the opportunity when it presents itself and make it work to your advantage by your own effort and will.

So lets sum it up...

Hardware > Software
AAS > H.S. Diploma
Professional Exp > AAS
B.S. > A.A.S

Tasorin > All

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
http://www.cob.sfasu.edu/csc/pdf/AdvisingFormCISY_2010-10-28-Blue.pdf this is what I have in mind I have a lot of the basic requirements and get the rest at my community college then get the core at the 4 yr university. Give me some feedback on this and let me know what you folks think.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Can talk about it in vent sometime smile

TL;DR version was posted, ranting, etc.

Easier this way (lol)

Last edited by Ictinike; 03/31/11 04:23 AM.

KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Thats funny I have it set to send followed topics to email I got the TL, too long, version in my e-mail and thought it was great good advice as well thanks

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Hehe.. yea I thought I was rambling a bit.. as soon as I submitted, I edited it laugh

You got the original and read it, so no harm, no foul. smile

Just figured some personal shit should stay on the downlow.. lol

Link Copied to Clipboard