KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77967 10/03/10 11:24 AM
Kia Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
I saw this posted: http://www.llts.org/
"Guinness World Records™ has awarded The Syndicate the World Record with the following definition: With a documented history stretching back to at least February 1996, The Syndicate (www.LLTS.org) is the longest-running online guild, with 14 years, 5 months and 22 days of continuous operation as of 7 July 2010. The key part to this record is "continuous operation." There were certainly guilds from before The Syndicate was founded but we can provide independent sources of data documenting our founding date and our continuous operation for our entire history. That verifiable proof and continuous operation allowed us to attempt and earn the record. Congrats Syndicate Members!"

Isn't KGB as old or older? I know it has been continuous since 1997 when I joined but what about before that?

(GM5) KGB King
KGB Federal Faction
(GM5) KGB King
KGB Federal Faction
UO from June of 1997 on; however, before Ultima Online, KGB was in a tank based warfare game called "Tanarus." I do not know the official start date of our existence in Tanarus, as I was not part of it until after the fact. Would have to leave that question open for JetStar to respond to.

KGB History

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
[Linked Image from the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Most Legacy guilds such as our can all trace their lineage back to UO or AOL's NWN and then EQ and AC so you'll find that the majority of Legacy guilds have a starting date somewhere between 1996 and 1998 with more straggling in as time progresses and online gaming becomes more main stream. Now a days guilds are a dime a dozen, and many of these fly by night organizations are little more then one persons fantasy, with perhaps a couple of friends stupid enough to help him or her indulge in it. Joining these often times defunct and transitional guilds means opting to play within a organization which is often either very small or very large and the difficulties is that the very small guilds have no history, no support, nor any real community for it's few members however they can be more intimate and precise in what they can accomplish but don't expect a lot of conversation.

The very large guilds are often based around pve and raiding, have little history so there is no context for it's members to fall back on and learn from. And while being in a super raid guild such as like the guilds from WoW are famous for, seems awesome the truth is you are just another number, and lost in the crowd. Generally these behemoths, are only beholden to those in leadership positions, and are huge structured organizations with a labyrinth of policy and red tape, massive franchises who's only goal is to be the first in content or have the largest reputation for being the best raiders.

A Legacy Guild by my own definition is a guild older then five (5) years, with a history spanning several games and a organization that has survived the times not only because of it's innovation or progressive nature, but also because those people entrenched in the guild believe in that organization and uphold it with vigilance and respect. A Legacy guild is also respected by other guilds of the same age regardless of past differences, and it has participated in several games making various contributions to those communities as well. A Legacy guild is recognized simply by it's call letters (such as KGB) or tag, and has the resources to support protracted gaming in a single gaming sphere as well as in multiple one's. Legacy guilds are often the source for a games information, they can alter or change the game itself and can be at the center of gaming controversies. But above all a Legacy Guild has a membership that has become central to it's operation and many of those members are unique to that guild and become the personality of that guild. These individuals provide the face and personality to a organization, and drive it to always improve itself.

For the record, The Syndicate has been self promoting this for years, those guys are the biggest ego maniacs you'll ever find online. The sad truth is they don't even play games that much anymore and the few that do are usually not play a current game or a game that has a high community profile where other Legacy Guilds are.

I see the Syndicate as a glorified Facebook community, but I will recognize that back in the day they got the job done, it's just that now I don't even know if they still qualify as a Guild, because to be a guild you actually have to play a game. All they do now is add current games to a list of games they supposedly either had played or had beta tested. With no proof they actually did play or beta these games it's my personal opinion they just add the names of current games to look impressive and self promote or to maintain a image and give validity to their claims for future exploitation. A true Legacy guild puts in the work and stays active, just because your website is pretty and date stamped as one of the first, (although I think the Crimson Brotherhood came way before them even though they are not in continuous operation) doesn't mean you are elite and certainly means nothing in the big picture.

Last edited by Drakiis; 10/03/10 12:16 PM.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
Oracle Admininstrator
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
Oracle Admininstrator
Originally Posted By: Romeo_Montague
UO from June of 1997 on; however, before Ultima Online, KGB was in a tank based warfare game called "Tanarus." I do not know the official start date of our existence in Tanarus, as I was not part of it until after the fact. Would have to leave that question open for JetStar to respond to.

KGB History

lol Spelling error in the KGB history lol

Quote:
Chairman of the KGB Tanarus Joint Cheifs of Staff

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
[Linked Image]
(GM5) KGB King
KGB Federal Faction
(GM5) KGB King
KGB Federal Faction
Originally Posted By: Valaria
Originally Posted By: Romeo_Montague

KGB History

lol Spelling error in the KGB history lol

Quote:
Chairman of the KGB Tanarus Joint Cheifs of Staff

Well cmon, you didn't think Jet just magically started making spelling mistakes?
He's been making them for over 13 years now! =P

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
[Linked Image from the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
Oracle Admininstrator
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
Oracle Admininstrator
oh I know... its just funny that I keep finding them lol

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Dragons is, always has been, and always will be an attention whore. Nothing new here.

I dont think KGB is older, but most of the old Aol NWN guilds are. A surprising amount of which are still around. ( NOR, KAAOS, Sun, UDL, etc)

There were other games out at the time, and prior that have older guilds as well... but they dont come to mind since I didnt play them.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Kia Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
The key is "continuous". Many of those haven't been active consta

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
KAAOS, Sun and UDL have been.

Not sure about some of the others, they are seen less often.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Derid
KAAOS, Sun and UDL have been.

Not sure about some of the others, they are seen less often.

Definitely KAAOS, I go there to read quite often

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Link Copied to Clipboard