KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Squared
Unregistered
Squared
Unregistered
S
get off of your game for a few minutes and go see what you can see.

Quote:
Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth Tonight

Published August 03, 2010

FoxNews.com

NASA

The Sun's surface erupted early Sunday morning, blasting tons of plasma into interplanetary space -- directly towards the Earth.

That wall of ionized atoms should hit the planet tonight, say scientists, creating a geomagnetic storm and a spectacular light show and possibly threatening satellites in orbit.

"This eruption is directed right at us and is expected to get here early in the day on Aug. 4th," said Leon Golub of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. "It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time."

The solar eruption, called a coronal mass ejection, was spotted by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, which captures high-definition views of the sun at a variety of wavelengths. SDO was launched in February and peers deep into the layers of the sun, investigating the mysteries of its inner workings.

"We got a beautiful view of this eruption," Golub said. "And there might be more beautiful views to come if it triggers aurorae."

Views of aurorae are usually associated with Canada and Alaska, but even skywatchers in the northern U.S. mainland are being told they can look toward the north Tuesday and Wednesday evenings for rippling "curtains" of green and red light.

When a coronal mass ejection reaches Earth, solar particles stream down our planet's magnetic field lines toward the poles. In the process, the particles collide with atoms of nitrogen and oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere, which then glow, creating an effect similar to miniature neon signs.

The interaction of the solar particles with our planet's magnetic field has the potential to create geomagnetic storms, or disturbances in Earth's magnetosphere. And while aurorae are normally visible only at high latitudes, they can light up the sky even at lower latitudes during a geomagnetic storm.

The solar particles could also affect satellites, though scientists think that possibility is remote. Orbital Sciences Corp. believe a similar blast may have been knocked its Galaxy 15 satellite permanently out of action.

The sun's activity usually ebbs and flows on a fairly predictable cycle. Typically, a cycle lasts about 11 years, taking roughly 5.5 years to move from a solar minimum, a period of time when there are few sunspots, to peak at the solar maximum, during which sunspot activity is amplified.

The last solar maximum occurred in 2001. The latest minimum was particularly weak and long- lasting. The most recent solar eruption is one of the first signs that the sun is waking up and heading toward another maximum.

KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
The Solar Storm cycle has been exceedingly quite for 2009 and 2010. In fact the findings say its been abnormally quite. Using historical back data, scientist find that there is a magnitude of F(2.33) "F(x) for all you non math nerds" when the Solar Storm cycle swings up in activity.

In laymen terms, prepare for unprecedented solar storms in 2011 and 2012 as the Solar Storm cycle really amps up its output.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
...because the Sun goes through periods of intense activity and these cycles are a part of the fission taking place deep within the suns surface. Our Sun is due for this greater level of activity, and as it ages it will get hotter and hotter, however by 2012 I hope it may not matter that much as we align with the center of the milky way galaxy.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
KGB Paladin
KGB Paladin
REM song enters my mind....

It's the end of the world as we know it....

Leader: KGB Korea
Paladin of the Knights of Glory and Beer!
Former KGB RIFT BC Faction
Former Supreme Court Justice
Former Provost Marshal
Former GSS Agent
Former Knight Captain
Former Champion
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Thomas

But I feel fine..

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
u know where i live it all ready hot trust me if it gets hotter woopee... just stay in doors

aka DirtyFingers lvl 17 monk (light), Nakles lvl 16 barbarian tank, Nakle lvl 18 sorce, Sportinwood lvl 19 cleric, NastyMusic lvl 14 bard, Nauthythief lvl 13 rogue & lvl 1 ranger total level 14 and lvl 6 bloodyknives fighter.
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
We had an Aurora Borealis show last night here in Washington. A lot of green and blues and very little red or orange. About 10:30 last night went out into the field not very far from my place with a lawn chair, a couple Micky's wide mouth and a couple doobies.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Tasorin
We had an Aurora Borealis show last night here in Washington. A lot of green and blues and very little red or orange. About 10:30 last night went out into the field not very far from my place with a lawn chair, a couple Micky's wide mouth and a couple doobies.

Did you contemplate the meaning of it all?

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
Originally Posted By: Drakiis
Originally Posted By: Tasorin

Did you contemplate the meaning of it all?

Yes, and it is true, you suck Drakiis.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Thomas

you mean great big sea?

and everyone knows 2012 is a fictional scam any self respecting person will look at legitimate studies and figure that out

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard