KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tasorin Offline OP
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
OP Offline
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
OMFG!!

It's finally here. My old friends and I were talking about his concept almost 15 years ago for interactive table top games that can reduce the informaiton load on the DM and speed up play time, while still allowing for enriching character development.

Yes, I just nutted at work, and it felt good.

CNET Article

Last edited by Tasorin; 02/12/10 11:34 AM.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
(G6) KGB Warlord
KGB Federal Faction
(G6) KGB Warlord
KGB Federal Faction
HOLY SHIT I WANT ONE!

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

As a purist I have to say this is fucking so wrong I don't even know where to start. First off role playing is about developing a character, like a actor portrays a role, your building the persona and interacting with other persona or characters. Character concepts being key here people. If your just boiling role playing down to stat crunching your a "min-maxer" and missing the point of role playings fundamental purpose. There are several types of role players but imho only one that matters

Harlequin Romancers - People (usually couples) who play for the deep passions, steamy sexual innuendos, and erotic fetishes of being someone else, usually these misguided people play Vampire role playing games, and do what I like to call "pulling a New Moon"

Min-Maxers - These are the stat crunchers, the fantasy football guys who transitioned into a new realm of gaming from their old one, and while it is true they usually understand the rules and have the game dialed in to a fine point so much so that they are able to build a character template that is uber bad ass, they also quite ironically are the dumbest players, because when it comes to playing using their imagination they fail epically, a lot of video gamers fit in this bracket too.

Shakespearean - These are your thee and thou art types, who fail to grasp that some concessions need to be made to play a game in the 20th century, not everything can be period, otherwise the enjoyment of the game fails.

Realist - These guys are worse then Shakespearean types due to the fact that they put too much of a healthy dose of realism in their game, so real in fact that a players character won't live past level one, if he in fact allows his players to even start at level one, a realist wants his players characters to live and experience things as they should be or were in the medieval times, in a historical context.

Mickey Mouse - These campaigns are child's play literally, your a super hero for all intents and purposes, and you can kill a hundred guys 7 levels higher then you.

Monty Haulers - Everything you do under a GM or in a game with these guys yields wealth and riches and magic items and all the goodies you could ever want.

I classify myself as a Thespian/Purist. I believe in making the game fun, accessible, and welcoming, however you play it as it stands, use your gray matter, figure out things for yourself, use your imagination dammit, that's what God gave it to you for, be creative, learn problem solving skills and leadership within a team environment, envision your character concept,and play that part as a real actor might. When you dumb a game like this down all your really doing is inviting people to be lazier.

For MMORPG's that's fine but for table top role playing it will kill off our last great means for true story telling, and socialization, with the advent of miniatures, maps, laptops, dice rollers, and various other things this game gets killed off more and more each year. While some things are nice to use to expedite a game, over use hurts it, that's why it's called ROLE playing not ROLL playing. I watched that video and I kept asking myself, where is the story, and why are they fighting in the first place? However nowhere in the video is anything mentioned about story which is a principle aspect to role playing.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Drakiis: TLDNR OMG wall of text crits you for 08745074054098500945.

Are you insane?!?!?! This is AMAZING. Just for not having to keep up with character sheets and dice bags. Most of the folks I've gamed with recently are all dragging around laptops to do all of the stuff this thing does anyway. But best of all it looks like this thing keeps up with what your scores are and with what actions you can take. I bet it cuts down on rules lawyering and lies about die rolls too. I WANT ONE!

Besides all that Drakiis, this LETS you role play because you don't have to spend so much time wrapped up in the numbers of your character. As long as you have a good DM then this will improve your role play, not just be a min max tool. In fact I'd bet that since the characters are all loaded in there will be less min maxing because you won't be able to do the kind of "house rule" "DM call" rules lawyering that people currently get away with.

As for your story development comment... ITS A VIDEO ABOUT THE DEVICE! Wow dude, you could pick apart the problems with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich "yeah, it looks nice, but there's way too much peanut butter on the left side, the jelly isn't evenly dispersed, and the crust on the bottom piece of bread is too flakey." Shut up and eat the damn thing! It tastes good! The whole point of the video is to showcase their new toy, not to point out what good DnD geeks they are, and oh by the way, check out the pretty lights. Move away from the dark side brother. Everything is not doom and gloom and the end of an era. Eat a prozak and smile occasionally laugh

Last edited by Kaotic; 02/13/10 05:59 AM.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
hey I am old school what can I say, I still enjoy playing in and running 1st and 2nd Edition D&D. All I was seeing were players fascinated with the dice roller, the stat blocks, and imaging which is why I got bent, if you can't picture something using your imagination then your a fucking retard, and while I agree it will make all of this easier;

Quote:
having to keep up with character sheets and dice bags. Most of the folks I've gamed with recently are all dragging around laptops to do all of the stuff this thing does anyway. But best of all it looks like this thing keeps up with what your scores are and with what actions you can take. I bet it cuts down on rules lawyering and lies about die rolls too.

I worry that any time you present your players with distractions, and/or situations where they don't need to ask questions to understand their environment it creates a situation where they are not thinking, or concentrating because they are too busy admiring or tinkering around with those things instead of listening and participating. I have seen it happen so many times with so many different role playing groups. If the technology is handled responsibly by the whole group, or the GM controls how its used and when then there may be a way to use it and still maintain the focus and participation levels of your group, otherwise the guys/girls will just sit back eat Doritos, drink coke, and let the technology do the thinking for them.

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Drakiis
If the technology is handled responsibly by the whole group, or the GM controls how its used and when then there may be a way to use it and still maintain the focus and participation levels of your group

I'm pretty sure the DM was in control of the board. That's what the shot of the computer was, him making the monsters attack.

I'm that guy. When I play with my laptop I usually end up surfing the web and ignore the dumbfuckery going on around me. laugh

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I have a strict no cells unless its a emergency or laptops rule in my games, because I want full participation, I hate to repeat myself, I think its disrespectful to not only the other people who took time out to show up for a game, but also me since I am sponsoring the game and put in the effort to present the challenges your playing through. People not paying attention, whether due to "dumbfuckery" or not may not know the circumstances they face from the actions of others, and therefore will usually commit more "dumbfuckery" because they would rather play mine sweeper then listen to what's going on. My advice is you can drink coke, eat chips and masturbate at home why bother to even show up if that's all you want to do, save your self and others the trouble and stay home next time.

(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Drak, I can only compare this to modern sailing. Some "Purists" insist on not using GPS, Chartplotters, and Radar. These new tools make it funner!

This stuff allows you to focus on the game and the play aspect of it, instead of arguing with your character sheet in hand.

I think its AWESOME and dont knock it till you try it.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
well I know the attention span of ADD gamers, and I can tell you that from my experience when I tell someone they were just confronted by a rather large and hungry Ogre named Bob, and they look up from their cell phone, or laptop with a blank look in their eye and ask how that got by them, and why is it happening, then I get called for being exsessively unfair, it pisses me off because had they been paying attention they'd have known why and how, and it certainly shows a great deal of disrespect to me and those who are playing, technology has it's place I am not saying it doesn't, I wouldn't be here if I thought that way, I just feel that it needs to be tightly controlled for some aspects of D&D. If guys are fondling their miniatures or checking football scores then their fucking with the program and should have just stayed home.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard