KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,016,682 Trump card
1,338,771 Picture Thread
477,736 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#58455 02/03/10 05:27 AM
Ifantis Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
building a new comp please give reasons for any suggestions

* *BASE_PRICE: [+1005]
* BUNDLE: None
* BLUETOOTH: None
* CD: LG 22X DVD±/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
* CD2: None
* CAS: *Raidmax Sagitta II Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window (Silver Color)
* CASUPGRADE: None
* CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (Blue Color)
* CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
* FAN: Asetek LCLC 120 Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
* FREEBIE_RM: None
* FREEGAME_VC02: None
* FA_HDD: None
* FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
* FLOPPY: None
* HDD: Single Hard Drive (128 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Nearly Instant Data Access Technology) [+156])
* HDD2: Single Hard Drive [+44] (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
* IEEE_CARD: None
* KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
* MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
* MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
* MONITOR: None
* MONITOR2: None
* MOTHERBOARD: *GigaByte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AM3 DDR3 785 Chipset 1666+/1333/1066 with PCIe slot SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN
* MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1800MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [+39] (Corsair or Major Brand)
* MODEM: None
* NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
* POWERSUPPLY: 950 Watts Power Supplies [+53] (CyberPowerPC Power Supply)
* PRINTER: None
* PRINTER_CABLE: None
* RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
* SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers [+15]
* TEMP: Thermal Temperature Color LCD Display [+15] (Black Color)
* TVRC: None
* USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
* USBHD: None
* USBX: None
* VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 896MB 16X PCIe Video Card [+154] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
* VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 896MB 16X PCIe Video Card [+154] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
* VC_PHYSX: None
* WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
* _PRICE: (+1567)
* _view_: d

Last edited by ifantis; 02/03/10 05:27 AM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
You willing to build yourself?

You could get a better system, less cost, if you built it yourself.

KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
Couple things, and this is just my personal preference. (Your list was just fine)

**CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (Blue Color)

LED lighted Fan's are for show, LED lights generate heat, even a well designed positive flow metal box will only dissipate so much heat. Heat is your enemy, eliminate it at all points you can. Go with a non lighted fan if you can.

**CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

L2 cache is where its at. The more kb/mb you have up to the min/max the better off you are. I would suggest a minimum of 1mb L2 Cache.

**FAN: Asetek LCLC 120 Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

Back to the Fan's. How many of them are on the case? If this is a "Gaming" case, I would suggest three, with at least one or two Power Supply Fans. One fan at the back of the case blowing out, one or two on the side sucking in, and then an open port on the front or top to allow for positive air flow.
3 120mm fans should be enough. I have four on mine, and its kinda overkill, but again that's just me.

** HDD: Single Hard Drive (128 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Nearly Instant Data Access Technology) [+156])

**HDD2: Single Hard Drive [+44] (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

I prefer a RAID setup on my HD's, again that's just me. Which one of these two HD's had the higher RPM and data transfer rate. That is the one you want to put your games on, you want to put your OS on the other one.

**MOTHERBOARD: *GigaByte GA-MA785GT-UD3H AM3 DDR3 785 Chipset 1666+/1333/1066 with PCIe slot SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN

Didn't take the time to look up this model, but I am going to assume since its newer, it has the newer Intel Northbridge. You really want to watch out for this one, sometime they try and slip a last edition model in here, similar performance, but your not getting what you paid for.

** MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1800MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [+39] (Corsair or Major Brand)

Matched grade Corsair all the way. If your going Window's 7 for your OS and you have more then Two slots on your MoBo, I would buy a bundled pack and get either 2x2gb or 4x2gb. I have matched corsair (4x2gb) on my machine and have never had a single problem. As well Latency is a huge deal for whatever RAM you do buy. Try not to get fooled by price. Look at the latency cycles (lower is better, something like 5-5-5-7) DO NOT GET ANYTHING WITH A LAST LATENCY CYCLE > 10.

** MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor

Honestly, with the price of 1080i HD LCD TV's, your a lot of time better of getting a decent HD LCD TV with a high refresh rate ~3-5ms, that has a standard HDMI or HD CPU input. Just look at the back of the T.V. and your Vid Card for input/outputs. I play on my 46' Samsung HDLCD with a super reved up EVGA 8800GTX-Trubo and still get 140+FPS in town, and was getting 50-75fps during medium sieges.

See jetStar for a .EXE for Windows. Ask nicely, and offer free banana's.

** VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 896MB 16X PCIe Video Card [+154] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

** VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 896MB 16X PCIe Video Card [+154] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Overkill, but I get it. No game out there really supports SLI, so unless your running dual monitors, and assign one card to each monitor, your just sucking up more power and generating more heat w/o getting a whole lot of benifit. Not to mention the cost of the second VID Card. With the price of the second card and the price of the monitor that you have, I am betting you can find a really nice 36' HD LCD TV with a good refresh rate, high contrast, and maybe even a HD Tuner to allow you PiP from multiple sources...hint hint (Watch the game while you play a game)

** POWERSUPPLY: 950 Watts Power Supplies [+53] (CyberPowerPC Power Supply)

Didn't look this one up either, but rae power (950 watts) isn't the only important thing here. You have enough for the power drain of two cards, memory, and the HD. My concearn or issue usually is in how clean the power is, and what is the rating of the power coming off the rails? Ideally a power supply should have at least 18A on the +12V line. Finally the Power Efficiency rating is important too. The manufacturer will give a rating in percentage, the high the percentage, the better the unit is at converting power coming from the wall to power being used by the CPU. Power not converted or lost, is returned as heat, your enemy, so make sure you have a decent rating of above or at 80%.

In the end its all about form,fit,function, and flavor. Me personally, I spent under $900 more then three years ago on just a machine, and even with $400 in upgrades since then it still is out performing most the stuff you see in its price range today.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
Ifantis Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
fans- still playing with cases and im not quite sure which one im going to go with but fans were the #1 thing ive been looking at the one that caught my eye thus far has 2 rear fans 1 on top and a side fan

as for the HDs the first one is a solid state it doesnt have RPM and thats where my games will be the second is a 7200 which will be a data drive for windows

already have a win 7 64bit iso downloaded just waiting on a key from jet

as for the video cards i was thinking about running a single card but i really like the idea of running SLI and thats double the memory working towards 1 game too i looked at a 295 but thats essentially 2 260s running on 1 card thought about the 285 but finally decided on SLI 275s like i said its still open for discussion tho

to itchy a friend of mine has bought computers from this site before and if you load up a build on the site then get the same parts from newegg or any other sites through google you cannot build them any cheaper we checked on several high end and lower end builds and everytime the site was cheaper for them to build it

ive also decided to drop the cheap water cooled system and go with a thermaltake V1 heatsink

I went with the 950w supply mainly for cost i know its only going to really be pushing 700ish but its a cost issue tbh

as of right now my biggest concern is the MOBO because honestly ive never bought one before ive always delt with what i had around never actually had the option to pick one

Link Copied to Clipboard