The Knights of Glory and Beer are off to a slower start than expected. Of the 69 KGBers that are scheduled to play, only about 20 got the pre-order. KGBers are forced to sit in our VENT server waiting to get an active account.
Of the KGBers that got in to pre-order, most all of us have been plagued with MOB sync problems and lag issues that have prevented us from achieving our goals as scheduled. KGB leadership is doing the best it can with the situation.

Keen from Keen and Graev’s Gaming Blog writes:
Quote:
I wish that I could write about how today’s launch has turned things around and made it all better, but it’s simply not the case. The biggest issue facing the servers today is something being referred to as “syncing”. The servers are not synced right now at all - when I say servers I’m referring to how these games have a “mob AI server” and a “loot server” and a “combat server” - I don’t know why it’s called that, but it’s a habit from the old days. Right now the mob AI server is extremely out of sync. Invisible mobs are hitting people, people swinging at visible mobs are seeing nothing happen, and sometimes you’ll even swing at the air and hit a real player who you can’t see. It’s a mess, and it’s having ramifications on the game beyond being simply frustrating.

Some clans have decided to take advantage of this syncing problem by going to the higher level areas and killing mobs, somehow, that don’t fight back. As you can imagine, the result is that they’re getting money and items they should not be able to acquire at this stage of the game. Guilds have already formed (2,000g), clan stones have already been claimed (1,000g), and people are already gearing out beyond their means. It’s… it just plain sucks.

There has also been some trouble with characters being unable to log in. I have no idea why, but sometimes newbie characters are corrupted and have to be deleted to stop you from crashing to desktop when trying to log in. There’s also a bug where you’re forever stuck at “queuing”. I lost 3 characters (and 3 names since they don’t get cleared from the database) to these issues. That ticked me off.

Using the exploits has gone way beyond what is quoted above. Most all of the good city plots are gone to organizations of different sizes. Some of the largest could have done it legit, but many used the sploit and cut the corners.

KGB was not on of the guilds that used the exploit, and therefore we are playing catchup.

I dont want to totally dog the game though. Keen from Keen and Graev’s Gaming Blog goes on to say:
Quote:
Aside from these unfortunate launch issues, I really think it’s important that I share my thoughts on the game with you. After all, in a few days when this all quiets down the gameplay is what matters. I have been pleasantly surprised.

The graphics are amazing compared to what I was expecting from the movies. Much, much, muuuuch better than I ever thought they would be. I’m running everything cranked up and, aside from some slowdown in the wheat fields, I’m getting amazing performance. Some of the animations are a bit wonky, but I thought the same thing about LOTRO when I first played.

Combat is FUN! When it wasn’t out of sync I can’t believe how well it actually works. It’s really, really simple but it feels right for the type of game. It feels just like Oblivion, except more responsive. I’m impressed with how they’ve managed to get the real-time working so well, especially given the lag. Questing has been very basic, but really rewarding. Money is hard to come by (When you play legit, you clowns) and getting 60g from a quest and a chain tunic actually makes you super excited. In fact, the first thing I did was bank my chain tunic so that I didn’t lose it while I’m still a newbie in the game. Valuing a newbie item to that extent says something about the atmosphere.

The UI is very basic and reminds me of the old DAOC ui. I always liked the simplistic UI’s, as you know if you’re a regular reader, so it doesn’t bother me. You can move everything around and change transparency as well as turn on and off certain features. I wish I could zoom the main map because it’s hard to see things clumped up on 1680×1050 resolution.

Our KGB Beta veterans as well as our preorder team still holds high hopes for this game, as it is the only sandbox, full loot choice on the horizon. This is a game that when you die it actually means something. For me, at my age, this is the only kind of game I am interested in.

Stay tuned!

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter