KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 27 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,016,951 Trump card
1,338,810 Picture Thread
477,749 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997

It has been a long road in almost 12 years as the leader of this organization. At times we have touched on greatness together, and at other times we have stood at the edge of total failure. To me, we have not had the opportunity to revisit our glory because of modern game mechanics and personnel issues. Today we stand at the beginning of a new era. Finally a game world is about to release that offers the best of the environments where KGB thrives. Open PVP and risk of UO at its finest, and national politics of Shadowbane at it's finest. It is like this game was made for us.
Join me and our membership in this thread as we explore what I have decided will be my final attempt to lead KGB to the potential that we all know we have.
I have chosen High Chancellor Derid to lead this effort. He is a long time member and has been an advisor to me and many of our former factions leaders. I know he knows what to do and how to do it.
Join me in this thread for more discussion on this upcoming game, and KGB's role.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Please take the time to read this post from Senator Owain and 50-50:
Quote:

Well, it's not so much enthusiasm for Darkfall as much as it is hopeful optimism that it won't turn out to be a big bite from yet another crap sandwich. I was very excited to start with playing SWG, WoW, Vanguard, and AoC but all of those games failed to develop any long term playability. I think this is a failure of a quest driven game design. Unless developers can supply an endless supply of quests, what is there for players to do once they hit the top levels?

Quests really break the believability of the artificial world too. When I travel around in a game like AoC or Warhammer or Wow, I feel like I'm going from room to room in a big house, even in areas that are supposed to be outdoors. Certain animals are compacted in one little area, and no other. Humanoid mobs are stuck in one spot and they don't move either. They just stand there waiting for you to come by. In between quest areas there is nothing. No animals, no monsters. Nothing. In UO, it felt more like a real world. There were animals and monsters everywhere, but they weren't clumped into little crowds. There was a more natural distribution, and it didn't feel crowded in some areas and barren in others. Orcs, for example, were more common in some areas than others, but you could encounter them more rarely just about anywhere. In the areas where they were more common, they didn't just stand around statically, though, but would wander about at random, patrolling their territory.

That is what I liked about UO - I wasn't continually running from npc to npc fulfilling quests. At first, I was busy exploring the new world that really felt like a real world while building my skills. I did have quests, but they were quests I gave to myself. The first time I entered a dungeon, I was woefully unskilled and poorly equipped, and was quickly reduced to a grease spot. Over time, as my combat skills, weapons, and armor improved, I'd go in again and again, and each time I'd get a little deeper until I'd hit a spot where I was overmatched again. It took me months to get to the bottom of my first dungeon solo, and it was a real achievement, and I didn't need an NPC quest giver to grant me any rewards in gold, xp, or gear for doing it. And the dungeons were BIG too, far larger in comparison that dungeons in WoW or other games. You could no shit get lost in a UO dungeon, even if you had been in there lot.

The accomplishment was its own reward, and because it was HARD, and it DID take me months to manage, partly because of the variability in the environment due to the open PvP design of the game, and because the dungeon became progressively harder the deeper you went. But over time, the PvP became the main part of the game, not the exploration of the world, or the killing of npcs. When you went into the dungeons (or anywhere for that matter) you were not just hunting mob's, you were mostly hunting players, and the players were by far the most challenging. NPC mobs were there for cash and supplies. PvP against other players was what made the game entertaining and fun to play.

PvP in a game like WoW or Age of Conan seems like a distraction because usually you are busy trying to finish a quest, or you are trying to find your way from one location to another, and PvP interrupts that. But you HAVE to do the quests in order to level up, so you get trapped in the level grind mentality.

Now in a game like BF1942, to use a first person shooter example, you never feel that getting attacked by another player is an interruption, because PvP in the online maps is why you are playing in the first place. You aren't there to explore the map, you are there to kill other players and capture spawn points. It helps if you are familiar with the terrain, but you learn the maps by playing solo. You play online or at a LAN party to fight other players.

This aspect of PvP is what is missing from current MMOs. UO had it at first, but lost it. ShadowBane had it, but was beset by game killing bugs and a truly crappy user interface. Other MMOs have never had it. I don't know if DarkFall will have it, but I can only hope.

If I'm lucky, my hope will be justified.

If there has ever been a time, it is now.

We are working on a new Military based structure, that will require an additional commitment from its members. There will be room for casual players, but sworn military members can expect resource support, and the tools to form skilled combat teams.

Things are in the works now, but I wanted to make this plea to the membership. This time has arrived for us to come together and make this thing work. Consider this a personal request to each of you, to get involved and make this what we always dreamed it could be.

In your service,

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Jet, I am humbled that you chose to highlight my opinions I offered 50-50 on DarkFall, and what I hope it will offer to the KGB: a return to our gaming origins in MMOs. Darkfall is significantly different from other games that the KGB has been active in recently. I really want to get away from level building games, because they just foster an endless grind for levels, yet that is the only reward for this kind of game. Once you get your gear and max out your levels, what else is there?

Darkfall, with it's skill based system, PvP instead of RvR, and conquest opportunities seems like a happy combination of the features the KGB liked the most about both UO and Shadowbane.

I really think this is the game the KGB has been waiting for ever since UO declined and failed. May every true KGB Knight respond to the call!

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

Join me and our membership in this thread as we explore what I have decided will be my final attempt to lead KGB to the potential that we all know we have.

If I were some of you, I would be concerned about this statement.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Missing in Action - October 2021
You know, I somehow glossed over that sentence. The post title obviously indicated that, but I couldn't find anything regarding it being his final attempt anywhere in that post. That sucks, although I'd like to believe recent games just have Jet disheartened. If we do as well as we all hope in DF, I think his inner gamer will wake back up. After all, who better to captain the U.S.S. Toxiclore in Star Trek Online than High King Jetstar?

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
Band 5
Band 5
Huzzah! Total devotion to the cause of reviving KGB's roots! Excited just reading it!

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
You know I am there Jet. From my short time in the HC and then as a commander of the black knights I'll follow you into battle!

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?
Band 7
Band 7
Quote:

You know I am there Jet. From my short time in the HC and then as a commander of the black knights I'll follow you into battle!

<-- Confused

Former KGB Member
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

KGB used to have a High Council that sat each week to bicker at each other and vote on membership... Black Knights used to be a military unit headed by a Knight Captain.

This is all back on Pacific.

Quote:

Quote:

If I were some of you, I would be concerned about this statement.

I really hope that DF will be the game that will unite The KGB as I remember it was back in the UO days.

For me the UO days were the best gaming days of my life and have tons of memories, I wished games that have followed UO would have gave me the same satisfaction.

Jetstar take a look at this and tell me if it don't bring back some great memories HEADLINES for March 12th, 1998

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  JetStar 

Link Copied to Clipboard