KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 40 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,018,041 Trump card
1,338,954 Picture Thread
477,838 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Revol Offline OP
Former KGB Member
OP Offline
Former KGB Member

Follow-up on my Saitek review

I recently reviewed the Saitek CYBORG Command Unit, and gave it a poor grade. I still have it, but only because I'm too lazy to return it lately. Regardless, I've found a solution on how I want to play Age of Conan, and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Click 'View' to read the article.

Former KGB Member
Revol Offline OP
Former KGB Member
OP Offline
Former KGB Member
First, let's look at other solutions that are available.

Belkin Nostromo

I've had a lower model of the Nostromo, and I enjoyed it. The current one has several flaws, the biggest being price. Really, there are two models of the Nostromo right now, and they seem to be identical, except the one I've linked has pretty lights. For this single reason, they want to charge $70, which is insane. The original cost $30, and was actually on Newegg as of last week, but it's disappeared.

Beyond that, I don't believe there are enough keys here for Age of Conan. I've stared at it, and imagined how I'd map the keys, and I run out of options. I've got plenty of feats I need to use, plus stances, plus potions, and the Nostromo simply doesn't have the real estate for that.

If you can see where'd you place things, and think there are enough keys for you, then I'd suggest you try to find the older, non-lit model.

Fang Gamepad

I can look at this and just say... no. It looks like they just threw keys onto it with little thought. There's no real smart design for gaming. I dunno, maybe this can work for an FPS, but just keep Age of Conan in mind. If your a melee fighter, this simply won't work for you. How are you gonna map your five directional attacks? So... what, your lower side attacks have huge buttons near your movement keys, and then you're gonna have to put the main three above them on smaller keys that aren't centered above your center.

Ew.

WOLF KING Warrior

This works very interesting, it's a very neat idea. This could go either way. It could be perfect, or a complete clusterfuck. Simply, I couldn't order this off the 'net; I'd need to place my palm on this at a brick-and-mortar, much like I did with the Saitek, to get a feel for it. So, go ahead, try it out, and let us know how it goes!

So as you can see, there are plenty of options. So what have I settled on? The keyboard!

Please excuse the UK keyboard format; you get the idea.
It's as simple as moving youself from WASD to ESDF. With the movement keys, I also have to move the directional attacks. The combos stay where they always were. The key (pun not intented, but I'm delighted) here is that I can now surround everything with my feats and other abilities. And finally, I have my stances.

It'll take some getting used to, because it's habit to run to WASD, but I'm getting used to it, and I'm enjoying it. It still needs some tweaking, but I think this is the way to go, for me atleast.

Former KGB Member
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Very interesting. I might have to try that stile out and see how it will work for me. I notice that you do not use strafe keys.

Revol Offline OP
Former KGB Member
OP Offline
Former KGB Member
Quote:

Very interesting. I might have to try that stile out and see how it will work for me. I notice that you do not use strafe keys.

Why bother? I use the mouse to turn in combat, so that turns the left and right movement into strafe. Hell, I use the mouse to move almost all the time.

Former KGB Member
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
The new Nostromo is more than just pretty lights, the controller has a built in processor. The advantages here are that the controller does all the work, offloading cycles from your CPU, the other very nice benefit from this, is that all profiles and macro's are stored "in" the units memory, if you want to plug this thing up to a friends computer, you can and all your stuff will be there ready for you.

I'd say it's a small prices to pay for such a huge improvement to the already impressive Nostromo.

Former KGB Member

^ Jetstar did that, so I'm leaving it! :)
Revol Offline OP
Former KGB Member
OP Offline
Former KGB Member
Price is still to high while my keyboard works fine.

Former KGB Member

Moderated by  JetStar 

Link Copied to Clipboard