KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Aby
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,005,827 Trump card
1,337,549 Picture Thread
477,213 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Band 4
Band 4
I havent been following yours and Fleetings debate all that closely but I think I know what Fleeting meant in regard to this.

Quote:

I guess I dont know what you mean by the world is 10,000 years old. Who the hell belives that.

Man or any of its variants have only been around for about 10,000 years.

I could be totally wrong but that is what I am guessing he is pointing to.

Missing in Action - October 2021
I think fleeting meant how according to the general stretches of time and years between stories thrown around in the bible, if you follow the bible in a literal, rather than metaphorical sense (which a surprisingly large amount of extremely ignorant people do) then you pretty much believe that the world is 10,000 years old, even though through Carbon dating we can prove it's... I believe 4 billion years old.

Humans have been on the earth I'm pretty sure about 70,000 years actually.

Really, at about 19 days, heartbeat begins. I think brainwaves don't begin for around 3 months though. It's hard to really draw the line as to when an embryo changes from being a parasite living off the mother, to being an independent life-form.

I mean, if you want to say the second the Zygote forms and cells start splitting, then that's already a baby with a life, then what's really the difference between a zygote composed of 2 cells, and the 2 cells apart? Technically, cells are alive. In which case, the egg and the sperm are alive. In which case, you're killing millions of lives every time you beat off.

Obviously you're not going to consider a sperm a living human, I mean, it only has half of the necessary chromosomes, but I'm just saying, there's a really shady boundary with when life begins and when it doesn't.

I don't see what's so hard about the idea of separation of church and state. People treat the fucking government like when there's that little kid picking fights in elementary school, but then getting his big friend to back him up. People don't agree with say... gay marriage because of religion, but then try to get their buddies in the government to stand up for that stance and pass a bullshit religious agenda. And it's really like that for so many of these issues. That's really why I'll be voting Obama, it's an extremely critical time in our country's history, socially speaking, and I don't want an ignorant religious agenda to pretty much control what research can and can not be done, who people can and can't marry, whether or not a woman can have an abortion, etc.

Let's speak about gay marriage. I'm straight and I love it, as I'm almost 100% sure everyone in the KGB is. And although some of you might flat out hate/be disgusted by gays, I'm almost sure most of us feel like Represent explained the other day "I don't mind as long as they don't go hitting on me." Well guess what, they know society feels like that, and unless they're drunk and stupid, they know better than to hit on straight guys. They usually know when someone is gay, and pretty much keep their advances within the gay community. Past that, who cares if they get married or not? Are your balls going to fall off because two men just got married? No, it doesn't affect your life in any way, so just get over it and stop being so intrusive into other people's personal lives. Flat out, bottom line, it's discrimination. It's bullshit to preach Civil Rights and act about how archaic it was to have double-standards for Blacks v. Whites, but then do the same to Straights v. Gays. On top of that, in many cases, such as insurance, beneficiaries need to legally be married to the person with the insurance plan or whatever the case may be. In this case, gays are being royally screwed at the moment, and this is something that needs to be corrected. It's simply not fair to take rights away from any group of people that you're giving to the rest of the citizens.

How about stem cells? You know what, sure, it might be killing baby. Honestly, if the government deemed that anything before the 2nd trimester (I'm pretty sure still not even the size of your fist) is abortable, I don't see why science can't use it to save lives. Think about all the shit that stem cells can be used for. They can completely change the world. Fleeting has muscular dystrophy, no? And although I've heard some of those degenerative muscle diseases can be helped through the use of steroids, I'm sure it's just a way to stall the progress. On the other hand, although I personally haven't looked into stem cells' abilities to cure that condition, I'm sure Fleeting has, and that's why he's gunning for stem cell research, and maybe if he doesn't mind he could enlighten us as to what exactly the disease causes, and how stem cells could cure it. My Step-Father has Multiple Sclerosis. Pretty much what happens with MS is its an auto-immune disease where your white blood cells attack the lining of the nerves on the way to certain parts of your body. These linings act as insulators so that the nerves only react to signals you're specifically sending them, rather than any electrical signal nearby them. When this lining is gone, they get too much "white noise" and if you have any motion at all in the affected limb, it's just a fraction of the strength of what it used to be. My stepdad was in a wheel chair for I believe about six weeks, and then the attacks stopped. Through a bunch of physical therapy he was able to slowly get up and walk with a cane, and eventually without a cane. But he still walks slow as hell, he has a horrible limp (I guess on both legs) he can barely lift his legs, he can't run, he can barely climb stairs with much help of the railing, he can't kick shit, etc. Bush was all for stem cells at first cause he was on Reagan's Alzheimerous dick. There hope that stem cells could regenerate the cells that were dying in Alzheimer's patients' brains (forgot their name at the moment, all I can think is Axioms, which isn't their name. It'll come back to me eventually, but by then I'm sure someone will have said the name of braincells in a reply :P.) Also for example for people with organ failures, there is hope that with Stem Cells we could pretty much grow entire organs, rather than harvest them off other humans. Not just this, but the idea is it'll actually match the recipients' bodies, so that they won't have to take immuno-suppressant drugs so the body's white cells don't attack the foreign organ. There are a lot of bad diseases out there that Stem Cells can help. You're going to tell me that because you're killing the equivalent of one of the eggs you get at the super market, that this research shouldn't be further explored? Please, give me a break.

I've spent like half an hour if not more writing this. I'll speak about abortions some other time.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
Register for Darkfall beta.

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]
Err... just realized I sort of missed the whole point about MS. So the goal with stem cells is that they can somehow regenerate that lining to the nerves, therefore allowing those body parts to receive signals correctly again.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
KGB Senator
Deceased
KGB Senator
Deceased
Quote:

I think you miss understood what some of what I was saying. First of my kids school have seperate religion and science classes. I agree with you that they should be seperate. I guess I dont know what you mean by the world is 10,000 years old. Who the hell belives that.

I think you misunderstood me originally, I strongly belive in religion being taught in schools and don't know anyone that doesn't even the most staunch of atheists.

However science should be totally sperate, my issue is with Palin and other creationists and people who take the old testement literally that want to teach creation as an alternative to evolution in science classes. There is a very significant percentage of people in America that belive this and there are already many places where this happens.

These people despite all the evidence to the contary belive the earth to be between 6000-10000 years old, they belive that dinosaurs walked the earth with humans but became extinct shortly after the great flood.

Quote:

Are you saying Palin belives the world is 10,000 years old??

I don't know her exact date but yes thats pretty close to it, Honestly I'm astonished that you have not heard this before, it's the view of around a 1/3rd of Americans. According to a Gallup poll

Quote:

Not anti but crazy left wing liberals is what I meant. Those that will kill a baby with downs syndrom just because it may be alittle harder to raise them. And yes there is a right answer no grey areas.

No I'm sorry the world isn't that simple and take it from someone who knows. You have to take many things into account when decideing if it's in everyones interests to have a disabled child.

You have to make sure you can afford the child, It might well mean never working, will you be able to deal with that? financially and emotionally. You have to know that you might be giving up alot of your life for the child and you need to know it won't make you bitter, if you arn't going to be happy the child won't be either. You have to decide are you going to be able to entertain someone who can't go and play football with their friends, do you have the time and the money to provide entertianment? what about pain and quality of life, is someone who is deaf, blind and dumb ever going to be happy? is it more merciful not to bring them into the world? what about cronic pain, how about dignity? are you happy to be wiping an adults bum for them for ever or washing their penis? will they be happy for you to do this or will they feel they have no dignity at all?

The child needs to feel they bring something to the world, if you feel all you bring to the world is pain, if you feel you are a burden and make people unhappy and stop them living their life do you want to live feeling this?

Quote:

Every time you say evolution is not a theory I will say evolution is a theory.

I don't know how to explain it to you evolution is a fact, seperate to that is the theory of evolution.

Do you belive gravity is a fact? the same applies here, gravity is a fact but exactly how gravity works is the theory of gravity.

Evolution is a Fact.

Quote:

Did you hear what Obama's minister rants and raves about, do you really know what Obama belives in?

Obamas minister is a nut job too just like Palin, Obama doesn't belive what his minister belives though.

holding that belief of literalists/young earth creationists requires a remarkable amount of denial of objective evidence and the like which to my mind implies issues with reasoning and logic and therefor anyone with these views are not suitable to run a country.

KGB Senator
Deceased
KGB Senator
Deceased
Great Post Bibliotequa. Agree with you on pretty much all of it.

I too am 100% hetrosexual but belive very strongly in equal rights and equal benefits for gays.

It's true that I have muscular dystropy like Toxiclore however my views on stem cell research are not related to my disablity.

Stem cell research or Gene therapy has almost no chance of being ready in time to save my life my views are based on what I think is best for the world.

My views on abortion of disabled babies though in certain circumstances is of course strongly coloured by my experiences and feelings and I'm also pro euthanasia.

JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Quote:

Stem cell research G.W. Bush is the only president that has ever given money to this. So anti stem cell he is not. Now I am thinking you mean the stem cells that you kill babys to get. But did you know that adult stem cells are where the money is at. With adult stem cells they have made great progress with and the baby killer ones they have not.

Anti abortion. So what. I dont think killing babys is a nice thing to do.

Abortion - A woman should choose what to do with her own body, not the government. US OUT OF THE UTERUS.

Stem Cell Research - Seems you have been drinking the republican coolade. Do you know what they do with the extra fetus's from reproductive therapy? They throw them in freaking trash can. Why not use them for something good instead of sending them to the landfill. Noone is talking about using abortions for harvesting stem cells.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Quote:

Abortion - A woman should choose what to do with her own body, not the government. US OUT OF THE UTERUS.

QFT

That's pretty much what I was trying to get across, but in terms of all the issues. The government has no right intruding in people's personal lives like that. Especially when they're intruding on the behalf of Religious zealots who just can't stand the fact that other people aren't living the pious lives they are or whatever their reasoning is.

The biggest problem with abortion is that there are just so many gray areas. I can see why people would be against abortions out of convenience (like say I knock up my girlfriend, and since we're both students we just decide to abort since we're not ready to be parents) even though... I still think it's the relationship's decision, not the government or the community's. Really though, like Fleeting said, it could be an abortion because you know the kid may have a disability, or it may be an abortion because the woman was raped or something. Maybe you're just poor as shit and know you'll be giving your 9th child a really shitty life by bringing him into the world. There are just too many gray boundaries, and a law can't be passed as a blanket statement to encompass all those situations.

I had no idea that excess embryos were just thrown out like that. I guess even more reason to promote stem cell research. Like you said, at least put it to good use. Not to desensitize the issue, but it's sort of like back in the early 1900s when Kerosene was THE chemical to refine from crude oil. Gasoline was seen almost as a waste. Then scientists/engineers decided to find a use for it, and look at what a powerhouse it is today.

By the way, thanks Fleeting. And I wasn't saying that you're pro-stem cell because you have MD or anything. I mean, clearly from the rest of your views you seem to be a pretty logically-thinking, religiously-detached guy, and there are plenty of people who won't benefit from Stem Cell research in any way, but think the same way and see that the benefits from Stem Cell research are too good to just ignore. And yeah, I guess you're right that chances are slim that a cure would come in time to cure you (which was a horribly sad thing to read by the way... I think I'll take that to a PM) but I assumed since you are affected by a disease which Stem Cells might be able to cure, you'd care about that topic greatly, because even if you or your generation doesn't benefit from it, years down the line people like you will. And I don't know, I just figured you wouldn't wish MD upon anyone, and if there is any chance of someone getting up and playing a game of soccer with their buddies, or whatever the activity you miss/long for the most is, then you'd be all for that. So I guess really, I did think that you having MD was part of your reason for supporting stem cell research, although not necessarily your only reason, and not necessarily our of a desire for it to save you specifically, but just because you relate to the issue.

BoS Archon
1) Evolution is fact. We can see the impact of evolution every single day (and without stretching the imagination!). Of course scientists and the like get to watch bacteria and such evolve regularly, but the rest of us have to settle for evidence such as dog breeding. Breeding dogs is premeditated evolution; breeders take dogs with ideal traits and put them together until they make doggy babies. Then they do it again with the generation of dogs they just bred. This is how new breeds of dog *evolve* into existence.

If you deny that evolution is fact, then you aren't paying attention to the shit that goes on around you every day.

However, I understand that the controversy surrounding the battle between "creationists" and "evolutionists" can be very confusing at times.

It *is* (and this is where the argument is relevant) theory that all life evolved from single-cell organisms that magically appeared one day several billion years ago. At first glance, it seems just as improbable as an invisible sky-daddy deciding our rock needed a little something to spice it up a bit. It is a theory because we have no way of going all the way back to the origin of life and watching it happen. For questioning this, I respect you (as long as you can admit that your beliefs sound just as ridiculous as mine).

2) If we aren't going to let people abort unborn babies to prevent a whole fuckton of unnecessary bullshit then we should give them the right to eat them after they're born!

As a side note I would like to discredit any future rebuttal that may play on the idea that "those (born or unborn) babies are tomorrow's future." Aborting a fetus isn't something people go out and do for shits and giggles, abortions are a responsible way of maintaining the integrity of our social structure.

For 9 months babies are parasites, and then they enter the real world where they rely on us to be responsible and well-off enough to take care of them for 18 years. In the interest of unborn babies everywhere: no one deserves to be raised by parents who don't want them; no one deserves to be raised by parents who can't afford to feed them or bring them to the doctor; and no one deserves to be raised by parents who suck at life so bad that they think having sex doesn't make babies.

I personally believe that abortion should be mandatory unless a couple can meet certain criteria based on levels of education and income (not to say everyone needs a college degree and a desk job, but high school diploma and relevant real-life experience should be required), and can provide a rough outline of how they plan to manage their jobs, time, and money in a way which will provide to the child. It doesn't need to be a tedious procedure, but everyone should be required to prove they can take care of themselves and a child before they should be allowed to raise a child.

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]
KGB Senator
Deceased
KGB Senator
Deceased
Quote:

By the way, thanks Fleeting. And I wasn't saying that you're pro-stem cell because you have MD or anything. I mean, clearly from the rest of your views you seem to be a pretty logically-thinking, religiously-detached guy, and there are plenty of people who won't benefit from Stem Cell research in any way, but think the same way and see that the benefits from Stem Cell research are too good to just ignore. And yeah, I guess you're right that chances are slim that a cure would come in time to cure you (which was a horribly sad thing to read by the way... I think I'll take that to a PM) but I assumed since you are affected by a disease which Stem Cells might be able to cure, you'd care about that topic greatly, because even if you or your generation doesn't benefit from it, years down the line people like you will. And I don't know, I just figured you wouldn't wish MD upon anyone, and if there is any chance of someone getting up and playing a game of soccer with their buddies, or whatever the activity you miss/long for the most is, then you'd be all for that. So I guess really, I did think that you having MD was part of your reason for supporting stem cell research, although not necessarily your only reason, and not necessarily our of a desire for it to save you specifically, but just because you relate to the issue.

Thanks, yes you are right and I agree, just wanted to make it clear that my feelings were just about what was best for humanity and not in anyway selfish.

Thanks for your PM by the way and I will be very happy to respond to all your questions, however my wifes family are arriving in a few minutes and are staying for the weekend, so it will probably be Monday when I next have time to write out a long post. I wanted to comment now though so you didn't feel you had offended me with your questions.

Cheers
Tim

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard