KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Decon Black
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,988,697 Trump card
1,324,443 Picture Thread
474,043 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Was researching ways to turn my PC Monitor (yah, still using a Viewsonic P95f+ VGA flatscreen - non-LCD) into a TV screen or more importantly, a viewing station between my computer and my PS3. Reason being, I wanted to save money rather than going out right away and buying a $300-500 LCD-TV deal.

I found a couple ways to do it, but was wondering if anyone else out there has found cheap ways to do it. The cheapest method I found was going to still cost me $70 or so from best buy. I would have to buy a connector that connected to my PC video card (ATI Radeon X850 Pro) and on the other end of the cord had a HDMI connector to plug into my PS3. In order to get sound, I would then use a couple links (forgot names) and an adapter cable to hook up my composite cables (red+white) from PS3 to subwoofer that my computer speakers are connected to.

It's less complicated than it sounds, but if someone knew of a cheap game-switch type box out there that could do this better, and had options between VGA, DMI, HDMI, etc (so it wouldn't be outdated when I eventually bought an LCD down the road) I'd appreciate any info you could give. Thanks in advance...

(yes, posted this elsewhere, but wanted more people to see this, so reposted here).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
KGB (F5) High Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB Paladin
KGB Oracle Administrator
KGB (F5) High Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB Paladin
KGB Oracle Administrator
Please post a layout.

From what you wrote you have me confused as to ..

#1 ps3 to monitor
#2 computer to ps3 to monitor

I don't play consoles so.. fill in some blanks for us.
link1 link2 link3 hope to god you have dvi dvi-hdmi adapter stereo/rca/audio/shit

Your issues are gonna start if you think its a plug in play solution to go from Analog to Digital.

DVI to hdmi is the same thing its Digital.
Either get a adapter or a cable adapter.
they are like 9 dollars to like 25.
I get like monster cables etc so yeah.. audiophile/videophile stuff.

buy a new monitor... don't buy an adapter box with multiple connections thats so tacky specially if you would rather buy that then a monitor. Cuz that old shit is gonna be outdated soon anyway. don't buy a analog to digital box thats also retarded for your situation. I would buy only what you need since your wanting to save cash anyway. If you want to use your pc and the monitor for another computer or ps3 KVM switch or that second output on your ps3.

I just thought i would just blabber some things down first then clean it up later once i get a better layout description of A goes to B goes to C goes to ?!

connectors?
Optical av-multi 3x rj45 2x usb 2xhdmi

KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
If I was going to buy something for both PS3 and computer, it would just be a new LCD with at least 10ms or less - they can handle it but cost at least $300.

Solution #1: I was wanting to connect my PS3 to my vid card on my PC, and PS3 to speakers to get sound and just leave my computer off when I was using the PS3 (if that was possible). DVI (vid card side) to HDMI (PS3 side) cable costs around $60.

Solution #2: Yes, the box solution... I could use to connect vga monitor to the box...and my PS3 to the box, and use my monitor for my console and switch between PC and console at the push of a button. Those cost $60 - $100.

I thought about the box becoming outdated, so the first solution was the best (may still be useable in the future) and I'd save at least $200. However, you're right in that I may as well just cut out the middle-man and go right out and get a new LCD TV. But given that I'm trying to save to move, I don't think I could justify spending any more $$ on entertainment to my Fiance...

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
You might want to see how Ken hooked up his 360 to his monitor. Not sure if he still has it hooked up that way but I know that he had his 360 playing on his pc monitor.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Lemme see if I got this straight. . .

Basically you want to hook your PS3 up to your computer
monitor ? I don't own a PS3 but right off the bat you
stated you have an older monitor. You indicated you wanted
to connect your PS3 to your video card ?

Means instantly it's probably lacking a digital interface.
( I don't recall any CRT with a DVI interface ) While there
are some monitors that will have the inputs for composite
signals, they are not very common.

The interface on your video card is output only No
input capability there. The other end of the cable connected
to your video card will need to be a monitor. Ps3 <-> DVI
port on video card will probably equal a lot of smoke.

So!

Unless your PS3 has the capability of composite output
I think you're better off going and getting that LCD
with a HDMI interface.

Sound will be the same issue unless the PS3 has both
optical / coax digital and standard stereo RCA jacks.
If optical / coax only, you'll need a receiver capable
of de-muxing it. If it does have RCA stereo jacks, then
easy to do. Cheap cable converter will do the trick there.
Or a speaker setup capable of multiple inputs with a
selector switch. I have a logitech setup that is like this
but is in the $500 range. :|

KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
My PC video card has a VGA and a DVI connection. I have read sites where you leave your monitor connected to your VGA slot, and then get a DVI<--->HDMI cable and connect the HDMI end to the PS3 and the DVI end into the DVI slot on the video card. Now you've got video on your monitor, but no sound from PS3. So you take the red and white composite cables and route them to connect to your sub-woofer (in my case) and the yellow one into your computer - that's what I've read anyway.

Reports were that it came in pretty crisp, at around 720p, basically S-Video quality but not as good as HD (1080i or whatever). All of what I've wrote above is from what I've read and someone I know from Best Buy that did it with his PS3. If someone has actually tried something similar and it didn't work, I'd certainly like to know.

I think you guys are right about just getting the LCD TV for both computer and PS3... and then I could just turn channels, etc between them. However, that would mean waiting at least 6 months or more...Tangent--->no way that would fly with my fiance, as we're planning on moving (she wants to do LA for acting/stunts but I'm thinking of financial success and would rather go somewhere between Texas and Arizona, get a Master's, etc...if we went to LA I'd have to contract to Iraq or some place similar just to afford the lifestyle out there for her...

[Linked Image]

KGB (F5) High Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB Paladin
KGB Oracle Administrator
KGB (F5) High Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB Paladin
KGB Oracle Administrator
Yeah. I saw no real reason to hook a ps3 to the computer unless your using that to record yourself playing or something like that. And you can't use a VGA to DVI-DVI to HDMI cause thats going from analog to digital. So converting the cable is a messy bandwidth situation.

Make sure the new monitor has all the correct inputs. DVI VGA HDMI that way you can press a button on the monitor to switch between which input you want to use. One will be on the computer hopefully DVI(monitor) to DVI(videocard) other HDMI(monitor) to HDMI(ps3).

My 3 year old plasma (thats right plasma lol) monitor has DVI VGA Composite and video-S. Only rant about these types of multi input monitors i have is.. "WHERES THE FUCKIN PICTURE IN PICTURE BITCHES?!" Thats right.. wish i could watch some TV and have a picture in picture of my torrent downloads."

The sound will be fine.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I bought a cord that connects either vga or hdmi from gamestop for 40 bucks looks like hd when i play on my monitor. I know that is for the 360 i dont know if ps3 has it.

Former KGB Order of the Paladins
Former KGB Champion
Former General(G4)UO
Former General(G3)UO
Former General(G2)UO
Former General(G1)UO
Former Knight Captain in UO
Former Knight Commander in UO
Former Member of SB,Wow,Aoc
Founder Of Chop Choppers
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
No shit? I went to gamestop...they looked clueless for a moment...then understood...then said they didn't have one. I'll check online. Thanks for the info thus far, guys.

[Linked Image]

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
ya crim i just unplug my adapter for my monitor and plug in my xbox 360 adapter for my monitor and it looks pretty good. Until i get my hdtv =).

Former KGB Order of the Paladins
Former KGB Champion
Former General(G4)UO
Former General(G3)UO
Former General(G2)UO
Former General(G1)UO
Former Knight Captain in UO
Former Knight Commander in UO
Former Member of SB,Wow,Aoc
Founder Of Chop Choppers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard