KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,986,836 Trump card
1,323,918 Picture Thread
473,873 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Quote:

Lets say President X is elected 10 years down the road and is trying to do something he wants done, no matter the cost, so he promotes an idea, pulls some strings, and soon this questionable idea gets slipped in with a larger bill.

Well, that's one thing the two party system is good at guarding against. No matter who is president, the Congress, who makes the laws, will never be composed of just one party. Do you think the Democrats would let President Bush or any other Republican President 'sneak' something in like that? Or the Republicans and a Democrat President?

Not Hardly.

There is plenty of real stuff to be concerned about to be wasting your time worrying about nonsense like that.

Can't play Vanguard at work, Crim. That's where I do my posting. Right now, I'm getting ready to go over and take care of my girlfriend with the two broken wrists, so I'm going to have to bow out of the debate until tomorrow. I should be back in game before too long.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Slinger Offline OP
Missing in Action - October 2021
OP Offline
I wish I could remember exactly what I'm thinking about, but a professor at the school I was at up until last semester was explaining how part of one of the "more controversial" security measures (Patriot Act, Homeland Security, or something to that effect) had an amendment that was tagged onto a larger, unrelated bill, and because the bill was so important, and the amendment so small in comparison, it got passed anyways.

I don't really expect anyone to take this into very much consideration, as I don't know what laws were changed, which bill it was, and because of that I can't find any sources to cite. It's one of the things, though, that has inched it's way under my skin and built up with a lot of the other stuff I've talked about in this thread to make me think the way I do about our situation today. If I can find any articles or information about this I'll be sure to post it.

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]
Former Member
Former Member
I'm glad I gave up on reading/posting on politics thread on the Oracle. My life is so much happier.

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
And this is exactly why there should be a change to how bills are handled that would NOT allow any riders (they now call them earmarks) to any bill at all... each and every piece of proposed legislation should stand on its own merits... of course Congress would have to do a little more work but then again that is what they are paid to do... Want that bridge to the middle of nowhere for your constituency... better convince some others to vote for it then as opposed to burying it in an important bill.

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Quote:

I'm glad I gave up on reading/posting on politics thread on the Oracle. My life is so much happier.

Don't worry. It'll pull you back. I predict the resurrection of the Politics Forum as the elections near.

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Don't remind me. Almost a year and a half to the next election, and we are already having Presidential debates.

Lord, give me strength...

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
shit whoops, I meant radical Islam.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
"but a professor at the school I was at up until last semester was explaining "

That was your first mistake.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

"but a professor at the school I was at up until last semester was explaining "

That was your first mistake.

LOL, that's exactly what I thought.

Ok, now off to my bro's wedding.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Interesting comments regarding Academia...

TBH such distrust and hatred of Academia isnt healthy. Should I also mention the so called "Patriot Act" that some here seem so fond of was largly written by a teaching prof. named Veit Dinh? There are also plenty of instances of conservative profs.

Heck I remember one prof I had in particular, a philosophy prof as a matter of fact, who was not only very rational intelligent, and open ideologically in his classroom who was
a member of Christian organizations. He was also fairly conservative in his private views. I also had some more liberal professors as well ofc.

However the idea that Academia is some sort of bastion of ignorance, or even liberalism is fairly erronious. Or rather, to say it is "only" a bastion of liberalism would be quite false, there is an enormous spectrum of thought on a great many campuses.

And honestly, most profs I have encountered have been reasonably intelligent or better, and often very well informed. Quite often extremely well informed and researched, especially where their subjects were concerned.

Most of them encouraged disagreement and open thought, as long as such was backed by good logic and expressed well, and utilized available facts. Because that is their job - to help develop those capabilities in their students.

Sure, there are exceptions. Academia also has its share of issues and problems in different places, like any other institution. That doesnt make it worthless. Far from it.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard