KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 27 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,016,951 Trump card
1,338,810 Picture Thread
477,749 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Derid #15909 02/28/07 07:44 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Quote:

The basic question is if I own the bar, why do I not have the right to smoke in it, or allow others to smoke in it.

There is a trade off between the rights of the individual, and the general welfare of society. If you are talking about a bar in your own home, that you use for your personal use, or entertaining friends on your own dime, then sure, the decision to allow smoking is strictly up to you. Once you open your doors to the public, you are subject to regulation. You have to have a business license, you have to have a liquor license, and you are taxed differently.

In addition, some communities have decided that since this is a public business, smoking is not permitted since it is not in the best interest of the public. There are a lot of reasons for this. Increased health care costs, for example, which governments administer through things like Medicaid and Medicare. This is just a part of doing business, and in this case, like many others, the voters have decided that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. If you don't like that, you have to form your own special interest group to lobby legislators and convince them that a large percentage of their voting constituents want these laws changed or repealed.

That's the way it works.

Quote:

And to Owain, you made the point Sling made I think- the Govt is elected by the people. Which is why if you really dislike it so much, and think its going down a terrible terrible path, I say its our responsibility- as in those who think so, to get involved.

Yes, but my point is that the government is enacting these laws because that is EXACTLY what a majority of voters want right now. There may be a lot of people who disagree, but it would seem that you are currently in the minority, so unless you can convince a lot of people to change their minds, you will not have a lot of luck. This may be what Slinger has in mind, but I have the impression that he and you think that the 'evil government' is enacting these laws contrary to what the voting public's wishes. I don't think that's the case. They are being enacted BECAUSE that is what the voter's want.

That is an entirely different kettle of fish...

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Owain #15910 02/28/07 11:15 AM
Slinger Offline OP
Missing in Action - October 2021
OP Offline
Quote:

In addition, some communities have decided that since this is a public business, smoking is not permitted since it is not in the best interest of the public.

That's one of the things that bugs me -- people deciding what's in my best interest for me. A bar owner should be allowed to drive away non-smoking customers by allowing smoking customers in his establishment.

Also, it's not so much that I think the big bad government is forcing things down our throat as much as I think some smaller laws here and there get slipped in fairly unnoticed.

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]
Slinger #15911 02/28/07 11:34 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

Quote:

In addition, some communities have decided that since this is a public business, smoking is not permitted since it is not in the best interest of the public.

That's one of the things that bugs me -- people deciding what's in my best interest for me. A bar owner should be allowed to drive away non-smoking customers by allowing smoking customers in his establishment.

Also, it's not so much that I think the big bad government is forcing things down our throat as much as I think some smaller laws here and there get slipped in fairly unnoticed.

Here's a switch in perspective for you: Rather than thinking, "Hey, what about my right to smoke here? I've chosen that it's in my best interest to smoke this cigarette, regardless of what the public thinks I should do!"

How about you think about the considerations of others: "Damn, every time I light this baby up, a bunch of people basically are smoking this thing with me - without a filter, whether they want to or not." So now because you - the one person that wants to smoke is doing so - countless other people are being subjected to something that is not healthy for them, and against their will. Now tell me - How fair is that?

I've realized that the current status quo of American culture is based so much upon "ME" that there is almost a complete lack of consideration for others. I notice this every time I'm in the left lane on a road going 65mph, and some ass in front of me is going 45, In the left passing lane. This individual is thinking only of himself, completely oblivious to the needs of others around him, or the natural flow of the highway. Don't be that guy. Help save America by looking at the bigger picture and not what's immediately good for just yourself or your buddies.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Crimthan #15912 02/28/07 12:27 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Yeah, I have to agree with Crimthan, here. I smoke both pipes and cigars, but I can see how not everyone in the room might appreciate me lighting up that big Churchill. There are still plenty of places to smoke where I am not forcing my choice everyone else in the place.

Given that second hand smoke is admittedly a health hazard, this goes beyond people simply being annoyed.

I think you are going to have to come up with a different example, because this one doesn't float, in my book.

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Owain #15913 03/01/07 01:48 AM
KGB Arch Duke
KGB Arch Duke
Derid and Slinger, my short message on traveling to appreciate America never said, like you're implying, that I think the US is perfect and we should just let our government push us around because, hey, "it could be worse".

When someone says something like "go travel some", and im sure you're tired of hearing it, they're saying it because they know that once you return from your travels you wont sit around allowing bad things to happen just because you've seen first hand that things could be worse... but rather you've expanded your reasoning and learned that some things are trivial and you learn which things are actually worth crying about.

For example, a kid who's grown up in a middle class home all his life in the suburbs and has always had hot showers in the morning might get all huffy and puffy and cry "bad government!" when all of a sudden they're living in an apt and the heat is turned off for a day. They give that sort of minor thing the same amount or more of their attention as they give to reports of a crack house down the street or low SAT scores in their state.

In the end traveling doesn't make you complacent with the US government but rather helps you to focus your energy on issues that really matter so that you can help change them...

Lets start with education and how the US is falling behind, especially in science/engineering.

"It's not enough to win... others have to lose."
-Stephen Colbert 'Colbert Report'
Hall of Fame record
Raekwon #15914 03/01/07 02:18 AM
Slinger Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree with you there Raekwon, the whole education thing... I haven't put much research into it, but I an confident that there are already groups out there trying to fight for better education systems, you just don't hear about it as much as the evolution vs creationism battles in education. :P

There may or may not be groupd out there trying to publicize every little law the government is working on, but that's definitely my intention, or at least part of it.

I don't see how productive this thread can actually be anymore, not until Derid and I have some battle plans drawn up, eheh. So I'm going to un-derail the thread and say if you're interested in helping, get a hold of one of us, otherwise, I don't have the time or energy to argue past politics right now. When I have a more firm grip on what's happening in the 'now' I'll post about something fun for us to discuss.

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]
Slinger #15915 03/01/07 03:29 AM
KGB Arch Duke
KGB Arch Duke
lol, it's not about being productive or not, we're all just bored message board trolls and debating crap actually helps you learn even if you pretend to know it all (im certainly guilty of that at times.)

"It's not enough to win... others have to lose."
-Stephen Colbert 'Colbert Report'
Hall of Fame record
Raekwon #15916 03/01/07 11:12 AM
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
Sling mentioned that a bar owner should have the right to have smoking in his establishment, and the patrons should choose if they want to go there or not. There was really no debate on this issue, and here I totally agree with Slinger. If the owner would like to cater to smokers, why cant he? SHould he not have the right on how to run his business?

I dont want to make you upset Owain, but from your posts you seem very patriotic, and from what i know of you, you are, but it seems that no matter what the government does, you seem to be fully behind it because it is the right thing to do no matter what.

Lenny #15917 03/01/07 11:18 AM
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
On a side note, there was discussion on travel and then you will see how great america is. That is the most retarded thing i have ever heard in my life.

You go to travel and go see things and learn from it. You go to travel to appreciate different styles of living and to learn different customs and behaviors. I have seen the american armed forces over seas and i have seen how they act, and those are the ones that go and dont learn any customs, and come back and really appreciate what america is and how good it is.

After traveling and living abroad for three years in a country where i had few normal amenities (unlike the armed forces who had american tv, food, anything they wanted) I never once felt more happy with the Canadian government or appreciated that i was Canadian and how great this country was.

Crim, i agree with you on most things, but the commment on go and live abroad and then you will see how great america is was rediculous.

If you want to get into a discussion how american soldiers are assholes overseas, let me know, and will tell you my experiences and why the people where they are stationed do not appreciate them as much as they should.

Lenny #15918 03/01/07 01:44 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Actually, I agree with Slinger in many ways, but I was playing devil's advocate to explain why things were the way they were.

An my point on travel making you appreciate what you have was that it was a side effect from having traveled and seen how things are on the other side of the fence. I never meant to imply that it was my primary motivation.

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard