KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Holrom Offline OP
Band 1
OP Offline
Band 1
H
Hey I cant find information, that makes me feel sure on buying some new RAM, if it would be compatiable.

So I have two question here. First off, the motherboard I have im asuming has a PCI card slot. I would like a double check on that. It is a XEON server motherbaord.
I have this motherboard - http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/E7500/P4DME-M.cfm

At this link is says it has a PCI express Slot.
My motherboard does have a huge brown slot. I am honestly not aware, if brown slot always = video card or what.
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-SuperMicro-SUPER-P4-DME-M

QUESTION - Is this RAM compatiable with Motherbaord im using http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4416996

Its 184-PIN DIMM and that is what is in the computer, is that all that needs to match?

Thanks for reading. I just dont wanan buy without getting some positive input.

H
Holrom Offline OP
Band 1
OP Offline
Band 1
H
Ok, so now from talking to sling, I need something that has DDR266/200 ? so 266mhz is what I want? and the other is 400 so isnt compatiable? If someoen can confirm be great.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
According to the information on that link, you need DDR 200 / 266 ECC Ram. ( Also known as PC1600 / PC2100 ) Some info on it:

# DDR-200: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 100 MHz
# DDR-266: DDR-SDRAM memory chips specified to operate at 133 MHz

or

# PC-1600: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 100 MHz using DDR-200 chips, 1.600 GByte/s bandwidth
# PC-2100: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 133 MHz using DDR-266 chips, 2.133 GByte/s bandwidth

The Ram you have linked is faster than your board supports.
Not to mention it's not error corrected.

Try this Ram:

ECC RAM

You'll notice it's somewhat expensive. That's that ECC part kicking you. . . . ( ECC = error correcting code ) It's usually only found on server motherboards like the one you have here. It's designed to be more stable since it IS going into a server after all. . .

I don't see where the board has a PCI express slot. It is loaded with PCI-X ( don't confuse the two, they are not the same ) but not PCI-E ( as PCI express is known ) It appears to have an integrated ATI GFX chip with a whopping 8MB of video memory

If you're wanting to game, I would suggest a new motherboard.

Take this all with a grain of salt. I don't proclaim myself to be the all-knowing guru of hardware. It is, however, my take on it

-Daye

H
Holrom Offline OP
Band 1
OP Offline
Band 1
H
hehe, well its my Dads old computer, I dont have enough to get anotehr motherboard. Im trying to get it going for 3d modeling in Zbrush, so Need more RAM, but neeed Video too.

Also not PCI Express.
But a PCI slot, for a PCI video card
Was typo on the PCI Express.
So if u read this thread again.
Does it have a PCI slot? There is a long brown slot, and on one of the links above, it says it has a PCI port.

But ya, I wish I could get a new motherboard eh:)
Thanks for help Daye.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Z-Brush is actually pretty Ram efficient. ( I use it myself )

Unless you plan on jumping the mesh to the 6-7 million poly range, a gig or two of Ram is more than sufficient. I run it fairly well on my laptop when I'm killing time at work and it's nothing special.

Tip: If you're serious about Z-Brush, get VERY serious about a Wacom Tablet or something similar. Trying to model in Z-Brush with a mouse is just mind-numbing.

You can also hide portions of the mesh you're not working on to keep things rolling smoothly because even on a horsepower system, 7+ million poly's are going to bring it to a halt in a hurry

I recommend training DVD's from Digital Tutors and / or Gnomon workshop. Some free tutorials are probably available on the Digital Tutors site. Both are excellent though I tend to find the ones from Gnomon a bit on the long / dry side. ( They haven't figured out the edit key yet )

And ya, you should be able to use a PCI based gfx card if you can still find one.

-Daye

Last edited by Daye; 01/30/07 10:12 PM.
Band 7
Band 7
Sorry, I didn't take alot of time to read the whole posts as I'm just skimming atm...but almost all motherboard to date have at least2 PCI slots. PCI Express is reserved for a Video Card (PCI express video card) The large brown slot you're referring to is most likely an AGP slot (also used for video, but an AGP video card respectively)

Former KGB Member

Link Copied to Clipboard