KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22
KGB Champion - Taco Salad
Originally Posted by Sini
In case of Ghomeshi the desirable outcome is to dismiss or mock him, not to attempt to take his voice away. Whatever benefits of deplatforming Ghomeshi are, the can't possibly outweigh grievous harm of enabling and propagating censorship.

So what is your proposed legislative remedy to mandate the exercise of speech in the free market? I would describe this as limiting the speech of the publication. This is what you're asking for, ultimately, which I find far more Orwellian than allowing the market to decide what speech is profitable to promote. For example, why is Ghomeshi's speech entitled to appear in NYRB or any other publication? If his essay was pure dogshit (I know, it's a stretch of imagination), a fantasy of melancholy devoid of any factual statements, why should anyone be mandated to publish it? What's the market circulation requirement, how many publications does it have to appear in to satisfy?

Perhaps you think this goes too far - then is the remedy to limit the speech of his private citizen dissenters? Rate limit their tweets?

I honestly can't think of any solution that would satisfy your objections here, unless objection itself is the end goal, in which case why should your objection mandate any action at all? In the example of reinstatement of the editor, even this tramples on the rights of the publisher to exercise their own speech. I'm not trying to be glib here but I'm left with the conclusion that you're objecting to freedom.

More so, with most of the speech moving to digital format you have an issue with corporations like Google, Twitter, and Facebook having the power to effectively silence you. In turn, these corporations can be pressured into censorship.

What is the point of having theoretical free speech rights if it can't be exercised unless you are independently wealthy and powerful?

In a sense, I agree with you here. The danger with those platforms is proportional to their approach to monopoly, and the intersection of the first amendment is along that approach. I think monopoly is the true evil in this case, though, and fortunately (as you demonstrate) they are not quite there yet. I also agree that inequality of wealth is a significant evil behind asymmetric exercise of speech, but especially in regards to political speech.

Originally Posted by Derid
Thomas Paine

Common Sense is an excellent and relevant study of the forces of the market as it applies to speech. At first he had trouble finding any outlet for his views, but eventually he found a publisher willing to take the risk (I assume politically as well as monetarily). Once published though, it found so much political (and market) traction he ended up having to battle the initial publisher over attempting to publish a second edition against his wishes. Thanks to the technology we are currently using, if this were to happen today, his barrier to initial distribution would have been far lower.

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
So what is my proposed remedy? In case of social media giants it is to regulate them as public spaces. You don't get to pretend it is your living room when you invited entire country in and getting filthy rich charging admission.

In case of Ghomeshi's essay it is along "don't be an idiot" (not directed at anyone here) lines. Criticism of bad ideas. Criticism of people that endorse these bad ideas. Deplatofrming is massively, fundamentally bad idea. Doubly so for anyone involved in journalism. To me the issue is not about actual essay or content, the issue that some people decided that this specific individual has no rights to speak and they are using their power to enforce it. I honestly don't care what Ghomeshi has to say, however I do deeply care that there are some people who are hell-bent of preventing him from saying anything.

The danger with those platforms is proportional to their approach to monopoly, and the intersection of the first amendment is along that approach. I think monopoly is the true evil in this case, though, and fortunately (as you demonstrate) they are not quite there yet. I also agree that inequality of wealth is a significant evil behind asymmetric exercise of speech, but especially in regards to political speech.

I largely agree with you. However, these social platforms might be a natural monopoly. Like there isn't 'other' Internet, it just does not make sense to have two.

[Linked Image]
Criticism of bad ideas. Criticism of people that endorse these bad ideas. Deplatofrming is massively, fundamentally bad idea. Doubly so for anyone involved in journalism.

This is what actually happened. His essay was shit, the editor did a bad job, people complained about both, and the publisher either took that to heart and/or did some envelope calculations and made their decision. Either way the publisher exercised their free speech, and there remains an infinite array of alternatives available to Ghomeshi to continue to spread his shit around.

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted by rhaikh
Criticism of bad ideas. Criticism of people that endorse these bad ideas. Deplatofrming is massively, fundamentally bad idea. Doubly so for anyone involved in journalism.

This is what actually happened. His essay was shit, the editor did a bad job, people complained about both, and the publisher either took that to heart and/or did some envelope calculations and made their decision. Either way the publisher exercised their free speech, and there remains an infinite array of alternatives available to Ghomeshi to continue to spread his shit around.

This is not what actually happened. The editor was made example of, with a clear intent to discourage others from ever giving platform to people like Ghomeshi.

[Linked Image]
This is not what actually happened. The editor was made example of, with a clear intent to discourage others from ever giving platform to people like Ghomeshi.

It's funny because I thought we had finally come to mutual acceptance of the available facts of the situation, but to make such a statement you must be hiding some facts not in evidence.

Who is demonstrating this intent, exactly? Who is "making an example"? People complaining on twitter or someone else?

Are we back to you suggesting that the public has no right to disagree?

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
There are couple possible explanations for the firing. For example, they fired the wrong guy. Or the firing was an accident, someone pushed wrong button. They are all implausible, because they are out of ordinary. That is, it is not entirely impossible, just highly improbable.

I count "failing to adhere to editorial quality standards" along these lines. While it is plausible, it is not likely explanation. There is no historical precedent for such stringent enforcement. This specific offense, outside of being politically charged topic, is not notable enough. Reprimand? Sure, I could see that.

So when you eliminate all the improbable causes, what remains is that editor was intentionally and disproportionately was made an example of. If you accept that this is the case, what do you think is motivation for doing so if not to silence and chill speech in the future?

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I would like to return to this topic with this excellent essay:

I Was the Mob Until the Mob Came for Me

Every time I would call someone racist or sexist, I would get a rush. That rush would then be reaffirmed and sustained by the stars, hearts, and thumbs-up that constitute the nickels and dimes of social media validation. The people giving me these stars, hearts, and thumbs-up were engaging in their own cynical game: A fear of being targeted by the mob induces us to signal publicly that we are part of it.

[Linked Image]
I would like to return to this topic

Has it really been sufficiently long enough for everyone here to ignore the incredible logical inconsistencies on display above?

with this excellent essay:

I don't understand your need for constant virtue signaling by way of sharing anecdotes from your group-think bubble.

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
logical inconsistencies

Start naming these logical inconsistencies.

I don't understand your need for constant virtue signaling by way of sharing anecdotes from your group-think bubble.

This is rich, coming from our resident woke-again privilege-remorseful ally of oppressed ethnically diverse proletariat.

[Linked Image]
You start off with an assumed stance that free speech is under attack and should be universal. Then, you want people with right-wing hot takes to be somehow immune from the resulting left-wing social consequences, but you want companies with left-wing hot takes to be forced to buckle to right-wing social consequences. I really did my best to try to pin you down on how that force might be realized, in a way which satisfies this inconsistency. Instead, you just fall back to complaining about some ridiculous argument about how NY Books or Facebook or whoever is somehow mind controlling the body politic to a degree where their overreach extinguishes the constitution. So I stopped replying - I've already agreed that monopoly is bad, but I disagree that NY Books is a monopoly or is capable of chilling speech universally.

I guess maybe the Patreon debate has widened your visions on this given your praise for their self-exile, but let's have you spell it out here before moving on to your whiney Quillette drivel.

[Linked Image]
Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard