KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Longshanks #142331 12/03/17 04:46 PM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
you realise that Star Citizen a game that is not even out yet already has subscriptions

Instrument #142336 12/04/17 09:58 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted by Instrument
you realise that Star Citizen a game that is not even out yet already has subscriptions

Subscribers = Supporters... nothing else, you can just wait and pick up the game retail when it's available, or pick it up during Alpha for cheaper. Certainly not ground-breaking.

There will be no "subscription" to play monthly - after release, if you don't want to "subscribe" to support the game that is completely up to you (or not).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/subscriptions

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
Longshanks #142404 12/09/17 03:59 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Sounds like things for a full push to Alpha 3.0 from limited PTU to release should happen soon. Video also has a lot of tech content on how they are handling the mag-lev engines/vehicles.

Note: Posts from folks (and I can confirm myself) that if you have 16GB of RAM or less was you will likely have paging issues in the current Alpha 3.0 PTU build. They likely have a LOT of debug code that will be removed when they push to live release; so it will be optimized for smaller system builds when it goes to non-PTU. But for right now if you have 16GB or less of RAM, you will likely see problems on the "test" version due to system paging (using virtual memory, hard drive as paged memory). I know Sorste saw that on my laptop when he saw me flying around when he came over, confirmed that I wasn't the only one seeing 100%+ memory utilization @ 16GB. I have a nice pair of 16GB DDR4 2666 DIMMS on their way now, should be here Monday!

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
Longshanks #142406 12/09/17 08:01 PM
KGB (F3) Vice-Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
OP Offline
KGB (F3) Vice-Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
I can confirm this too, 16GB is definitely bare minimum. The last few patches seemed to cleaned up the 100% CPU spikes, but FPS can get low in certain areas.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Longshanks #142424 12/12/17 01:32 PM
KGB (F3) Vice-Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
OP Offline
KGB (F3) Vice-Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
So, I dropped another 16GB in my machine to bring it to 32GB. Major improvement. A little observation, my machine's general memory usage hovers around 12%-17% (~5.5GB on the high side), that is just O/S, services, and maybe a browser tab or two open. Loading up the Updater + the Star Citizen app and playing brings that memory utilization up to 44%-54% (~17.25GB), I did not see much above 54%.

The game, as it stands now in PTU, seems to wants ~12GB of available RAM, which could spike up depending on how many entities may need to render, etc., before it will require virtual swaps. This VM access seem to be where the lag spikes and CPU spikes are occurring. I only have a 4GB video card, so not sure if & how much RAM may be allocating there. I am thinking if you have an 8GB video card RAM usage may be less.

If you're running 16GB ... an upgrade to 24GB (2x4GB), or 32GB (2x8GB) would give you a much better experience.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Longshanks #142427 12/12/17 11:28 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Yup that seems about right for the current PTU build. It probably has a LOT of debugging flags set so is not really representative of a non-PTU client.

The game + OS is definitely going to cause a 16GB system to page quite often (even more so if you have other apps/browser+tabs open. Honestly right now I wouldn't put together a gaming system with LESS than 16GB of RAM, 24-32 is what I have on my gaming systems - but I do test a lot of Alpha and pre-release. Operating System overhead is definitely INCREASING as well these days, so if AAA titles with lots of graphics and 3-D models and textures are your thing - you are probably going to start needing more than 16GB of memory in the next couple years.

Taxman

Taxman #142544 12/22/17 05:40 AM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight

Instrument #142628 12/26/17 04:04 PM
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
You have been able to be a monthly subscriber to the 'BackRoom' since right before the close of the Kickstarter. That's about five years now of $8.99 a month to get the digital monthly magazine, forum access, questions/dev team and a couple other super fan boi things.

I got banned from the backroom during the Great Grey War of 12 and 13.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
Tasorin #142646 12/28/17 04:24 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted by Tasorin
You have been able to be a monthly subscriber to the 'BackRoom' since right before the close of the Kickstarter. That's about five years now of $8.99 a month to get the digital monthly magazine, forum access, questions/dev team and a couple other super fan boi things.

I got banned from the backroom during the Great Grey War of 12 and 13.

Ah okay - gotcha, just wanted people that weren't familiar with what CIG was doing to be confused; it certainly isn't the same thing as a "MMO subscription". What they are calling "subscribers" are people that (as Tasorin, and others have done) pay monthly to support them in releasing videos and exclusive content (behind the fuzzy red-rope). Certainly not the same thing as an "MMO subscription".

Taxman

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard