KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Devan Omega
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
1,987,444 Trump card
1,324,088 Picture Thread
473,917 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Band 1
OP Offline
Band 1
B
Eya fellas, old friends and most tenacious opponents, glad to see Jetstar and the KGB doing well.

Shoot me a tell on Ollo, I'm just learning the game and trying to figure out if I'm going to stick with it. I would love to play with those I have shared history with.

I don't know if FL still plays but I haven't been part of FL since Dracus died. Du-Sith and I ran a few rounds in Darkfall but we don't keep in touch anymore either. I haven't spoken to Cinder in years.

Is Archeage turning out to be anything like UO? I feel the summers of 97/98 were the best times gaming has had to offer, and it wouldn't have been exciting without KGB involved. We were rotten kids with bigoted tyrannical ideas, but UO provided a safe environment for catharsis of our sickness. That wouldn't have happened without KGB either.

I hope something comes along that re-creates that 97/98 UO environment, the industry seems to be moving that way with the term "Survival MMO" becoming a buzzword.

Anyway, I'm lvl 18 or 19 and need to get back to lvling. Salute.

--The difference between Communism and Fascism is predicated on whether one hates one's self or "the "other."
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Hey bro!

Long time!

There is some instance of FL on another server, but nothing like what you grew up with. Join us in TS3, the link is in the Join KGB page.

We would love to work with you again.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Sup man. Long time no see.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Did you play Shadowbane as well? The name sounds familiar.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
B
Band 1
OP Offline
Band 1
B
Ey Derid. Still talk to Skull or Binbs? How is this Archeage, will it sate a old timer? I have some 95s in WOW and LOTRO but I haven't had a long term sub to an MMO since pre Trammil UO.

Drakiis I don't think we've formally met. I trolled the Shadowbane forums, pre-release Darkfall as well. I think I ran with CoS in SB, but I wasn't anybody. They kicked me out in one of their officer's Scumbag Steve moments. I gave the group officer a 40 int rune we camped, she kept it and said I refused to turn it in, booted.

As for the name I came up with Bleakwise while conjring up a name for a Hobbit in LOTRO. I have a thing for aphorisms and was dwelling on the phrase "Wisdom is bleak" at the time. I really started liking the name when considering that "The Hobbit" was a tale about the "little man" inside us all. I've only used the name in Diablo 3 Archeage and ESO.

Anyway, I might put in a heavy grind in Archeage soon, but I have no interest in a "traditional" themepark experience, not sure if it's worth it.

PS: Sorry JetStar didn't mean to be rude (ignore you). I'll have to jump in next time I game.

Last edited by Bleakwise; 10/03/14 06:23 AM.

--The difference between Communism and Fascism is predicated on whether one hates one's self or "the "other."
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Just started playing AA, hard to say. Its got world pvp, housing and whatnot. I dont think its full loot, but it has trade routes like an old skool MUD - and the trade packs drop. Which is a feature I have been saying is needed in an MMO for like a decade.

The char spec system is nice, lots of build variation.

Game is an interesting blend of sandbox and themepark. I think it has the necessary sandbox world attributes of old UO and then some. What it likely lacks compared to UO is the sandbox social aspect. Instead of people of all sorts hanging out at dungeon entrances and duel rooms, expect roving blobs.

Cant really comment on endgame much yet though, I've just read stuff and played for a day.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
B
Band 1
OP Offline
Band 1
B
Yeah. Agree about drops. The way I look at MMOs, the way I looked at old UO, is that going out of town and doing things were a gamble. Your gear was your "antie" and you had the option of raising your "antie" for a bit of an advantage on the field in the form of Vanquishing weapons, potions, and hardening armor. Modern MMO have virtually removed all risk for playing. It's like playing poker with monopoly money, just for kicks, it's more fun watching power poker players play for real money on TV.

The risk of loosing something is more interesting in the possibility of gaining something. I'm sure there are some psychology studies that back that up. It's a design lesson I learned playing MK and Street Fighter at arcades, anyone else remember being 13 and you and your opponent were both at 1/4th health with 20 seconds let in the bottom of the 3rd round, no quarters left? People talk about ganks and grindfeasts but it was moments like those that defined oldschool gaming. It's like a game of Magic where the winner keeps the graveyard-- I hated Magic but those rules made it fun. I'm not saying we need absolute full loot but something close to it, tho that's not all UO had that modern MMOs are missing.

Don't get me wrong I'm no longer what PnP players would call a "PVP tard", I've learned to really enjoy solid roleplaying, but modern MMOs kinda skimp out in that area as well. People talk about "realism" in MMOs as either a good or a bad thing, and depending on the level of realism it's either one or the other. I think an MMO should be about as "real" as a fantasy novel. You were never concerned with where Bilbo dropped his 2nd breakfast stool, or Gandalf having to go "number 3," after talking to Arwen, but some level of realism needs to exist so that players can suspend their disbelief. I'm sure most of us can remember a time when we sort-of believed ghost stories, aside from a solid mechanic, UO's "play as ghost" system was believable and really sucked players into the virtual world.

I wish I had the budget/manpower to do something about it. MMO game design is something I've thought a lot about, I'm actually forming a wiki called "Survival Fantasy MMO" where I'm laying some ideas and dynamics down, all under a creative common license to prevent vendor ownership of them. I also lurk the CryEngine and UE4 scenes looking for talent that might be interested in the project. I need talent, not only in game design and art but also in economics and psychology. My dream is an MMO is something of a fantasy EVE online, with real-time combat and a mixed market economy, complete with a "Fed Chairman" maintaining it. Aside from being a capitalist and roleplayers fantasy land it would allow closet sociopaths to get that sickness out of their system, in a game instead of real life. Somehow we gotta teach these RPKs the value of human empathy, which I'm sure is doable tho it's not immediately clear how.

I have an RTS style conquest/guild-war system that puts past attempts of nation building/conquest like Shadowbane and even Darkfall to shame. Pages and pages of documents, I lost my D drive yesterday and I'm really bummed about it, I didn't have a backup. I know ideas are a dime a dozen in the gaming industry but putting them up on the marketplace and learning a bit about the tools involved in executing them is all I can think to do to move them forward. The Survival Fantasy genre is unclaimed frontier in the gaming world and I KNOW there is a market for it, AAA companies just haven't realized it yet because the indie attempts at it have been such total failures. Thing is those indie attempts have been such poor production quality people decide to stay with UOGamers. When it's finally done right I have no doubt it will be adopted on the same level as WOW.

Last edited by Bleakwise; 10/03/14 01:36 PM.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Yep I thought so, I definitely remember that day, I was a original founder of Cadre Quietus, a Prime Echelon and Principle Elder of the Clan which created and maintained Covenant of the Swords Alliance for Shadowbane, we fought everyone and in the end we fought each other. Cadre Quietus suffered terribly from internal strife as certain leaders sought to seize control of the Clan at it's height in Shadowbane, namely Zorak with his PRX cronies. The old guard was being pushed out and younger, newer, less respectful people were recruited to bolster our war footing. It meant for less politics and more slaughter, a reason Treachery fell to COS so easily, until the Empire could not be everywhere to defend everything, and Zorak made up some BS about community supportive scaling back of operations, when the reality was the entire server had put the pressure on him. By that time we who were True Cadre had left. I think many people had been caught in the crossfire of the internal strife, or coup if you will.

On the MMO front there are many burgeoning game designers here, some professionals as well, and enthusiasts like me who have or are doing the same thing you have. I've personally written so much on the ideologies and psychologies centered around pvp and mmo design that it's sickening to know it will never be applied or recognized anywhere. I've trolled professional game design forums and chat rooms for years and spoken to some very interesting people concerning the industry standards and game design trends which trouble me as well as those which show great promise, but either way have never had any opportunity nor the proper credentials to support my theorems. Much of what I have gleaned has come from years of game play and living digitally from within various social groupings. I believe the social aspects of pvp feed a great many deep seated needs, and designing a game which caters to those needs can be done but must have specific mechanics which offer the players greater choices and freedoms than most MMOs have done to date.

PvP nowadays has been distilled down to either a battlefield confrontation between small groups (which I liken to "a knife fight in a phone booth") or horribly done mass scale where your combat awareness is stipped from you as the screen fills up to the point where you cannot tell friend from foe, let alone target anyone specific, (which I call "fighting in a shopping mall")

Last edited by Drakiis; 10/04/14 12:13 AM.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
B
Band 1
OP Offline
Band 1
B
Dying in the modern MMO has about as much emotion tied to it as dying in Quake. It only becomes meaningful when you're playing at a competitive level. I admit, it's tedious loosing and having to back to "grind" and "farm" to get back to the fun part of the game, but that doesn't have to be how things have to be. Loosing is only a tragedy if the MMO experience is centered around materialism and material wealth. The focus needs to be put back on engaging in your community and roleplaying, and by roleplaying and community I don't mean queing up to tank or dps in a dungeon raid. As for the likes of Shadowbane and Darkfall, there needs to be things to do and fun to be had at all levels of the game, not just a grind to get to the "end game."

To put it another way. I think I would have more fun defending a farming or logging providence from NPC orcs, getting a reward for my services and spending the evening fighting/gambling in the local tavern's boxing ring than I would raiding for the top-tier equipment of WOW. I say that because I had more fun in the early days of UO, meeting my neighbors and participating and policing local events than I have had in any MMO since. As UO became more and more a game about acquiring material wealth and less and less about social encounters it became less and less of a role-playing experience. Now, some of that was due to game design changes and some of that was due to my perception of the game as I amassed more items, but there is no reason that another game can't come along and be what it is that we imagined, even though UO itself wasn't it.

I think people get mixed up in calling UO the pinnacle of Sandbox gaming, when really it was just the beginning. I think the reason we don't see Survival Sandbox MMOs becoming more popular is because investors look at early UO as a failure; they wronly attribute EQ's success as proof that gamers want Themeparks and not Sandboxes, but I grantee you that if UO were the first voodoo 3d accelerated online game and Everquest was the 2d isometric game that looked a decade old the MMO scene today would favor the Sandbox.

Last edited by Bleakwise; 10/04/14 11:27 AM.

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
What happened to your drive, cant recover it?

If it froze up/started clicking before fail, try putting it in the freezer for a couple hours.

I generally think in similar term as you regarding game design, there are some minor differences but I suppose it is the shared UO base.

You should hop in TS sometime, we could talk shop MMO design style just for old times sake if nothing else.

edit: nm I see you were in TS, but you poked my laptop which was in other room. Next time poke both accounts, cause im a lazy ass about loggin out/in

Last edited by Derid; 10/04/14 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard