KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Aby
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,006,392 Trump card
1,337,631 Picture Thread
477,262 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kajooko Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/myPD7P

Thats what Im goin for. What do you guys think?

I havent built my own comp since my p4 way back in the day.

Im thinking about swapping the 2x 8 gig memory for 2x16 gig. Will I notice a difference?

Guess Ill have to pony up for windows 8....

Is the graphics card adequate? Should I go cheaper on some other things to make other parts better?
I intend this to be a gaming computer that I can use for the next 5 years.

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Looks fine. GFX card can be updated in 2-3 years anyhow that 770 is good enough for now. My desktops typically have a 4-6 year service span, and I typically replace GPU at some point.

More RAM is always good, make sure you have at least 16GB for a new system. RAM is more of a pain to switch out just due to height/wires, so while you can always upgrade its usually easier to get what you want to start just to save the hassle.

Should be able to get a larger SSD for a just a few dollars more. Might be worth it.

Looks like a good system all around.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
no expert but i would back up the idea of a larger SSD
SSD's are the best upgrade you can buy
Idealy you will want your operating system on it as well as the game you are playing

KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
Originally Posted By: Instrument
no expert but i would back up the idea of a larger SSD
SSD's are the best upgrade you can buy
Idealy you will want your operating system on it as well as the game you are playing

Don't short yourself. Most times buying a "smaller" SSD storage size and than buying 2 or 3 matching SSD's is cheaper than buying one "larger" storage size SSD. It also lets you parse out your files to put your OS on SSD1, while using SSD2 through SSD4 for "ACTIVE" games that require serious amounts of accessing files for rendering assets. Just don't make the mistake of purchasing to small of a SSD to where your OS won't fit on a single SSD.

1) CPU Cooler: I personally don't like a single 120mm fan on my radiators. I prefer twin "Push/Pull" 120mm fans to ensure the radiator is fully cooled under high duress from core CPU case temperatures. It as well decreases the rate of evaporation for your sealed resivor. Remember, once your resivor is depleted, you have to buy a new cooler unit.

2) CPU Cooler Water Block: I personally prefer the Intel water blocks over most of the other blocks sold as full units. In my research the Intel water blocks have a higher degree of 4 axis machining rather than being a billeted multi piece that is thermal welded together. You can find cooling setups where can purchase the radiator/resivor and fans as one unit with the tubing and the water block separately.

3)RAM: 8GB of matched RAM isn't enough.It looks like the gigabyte board you selected is a 2-Channel (RAM slots). If that is true, you have two choices. Change boards, and get one with 4 Channels, or upgrade your RAM to 8gb each sticks instead of the 4gb sticks you have listed.

4)Case: Nothing wrong with the case you selected, it fits the degree of hardware you choose. No sense in getting a super case you never intend to populate. Here is where preference comes in. I really prefer the Lain Li computer cases over almost any others. While I did buy a new Antec case a few years ago when I built a new rig, I still have my Lian Li full tower and have yet to see any manufacturer really be able to touch them at the price points they offer. For upgrade purpases of a larger video card at a later date you might want to consider spending another 40 bucks and getting a full tower that will accommodate the "HUMONGOUS" GPU w/ Coolers that are becoming the norm. I suggest this one Lian Li Full Tower $190

5)CPU: You spent high dollars on your CPU, but the Mobo they packaged it with is a bottleneck. You have a couple of choices. You really don't need anything beyond the i7 3 series CPU's with the "k" series so that the cores are unlocked and you can choose to overclock it if you really wanted too. "Down grading" your CPU to 3.4mhz is more that any game, even a full blown on mega steroids Star Citizen will ever need for cache computing. Your chip isn't going to be your bottleneck anymore under the current architectures. The bottlenecks are now RAM Slots, Northbridg and SSD vs Traditional hard drives. You could use the money saved on slightly downgrading your CPU to purchase a better MOBO which will give you probably 4 RAM Slots vs 2 RAM Slots and be a better northbridge able to push more data across it.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
Kajooko Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Thanks for the advice everyone. So I upgraded to the Maximus Hero 7. Got 90 dollars off the 4790k and another 40 off for comboing it.

Sad part is, I dont even understand why

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID=
Isnt as good as the asus maximus hero 7. I just got it because the reviews were better and they gave me 40 dollars off. Making me a dumb shopper.

Anyone care to explain?

Kajooko Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Didnt even realize it only had 2 ram slots. Yeah I got 16gb ram instead as well.

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Originally Posted By: Kajooko
Thanks for the advice everyone. So I upgraded to the Maximus Hero 7. Got 90 dollars off the 4790k and another 40 off for comboing it.

Sad part is, I dont even understand why

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...938566&SID=
Isnt as good as the asus maximus hero 7. I just got it because the reviews were better and they gave me 40 dollars off. Making me a dumb shopper.

Anyone care to explain?

Sure, theres only two reviews one of which was for a defective board/builder. Need a lot more reviews than two to really give any credence.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)

Link Copied to Clipboard